Weak knees

Options
for some reason when I squat or stretch my right knee starts to hurt. I'm not Sure if it's from doing squats (I stopped squatting with weights for now) or stair master almost every day. What are some things I can do other then icing it to keep it from hurting?

Replies

• MKT55
    MKT55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When squatting, never let your knee extend close too or beyond your toes. It puts extra strain on your knee joints.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    MKT55 wrote: »
    When squatting, never let your knee extend close too or beyond your toes. It puts extra strain on your knee joints.
    Uhm no, you need to get right with squat god bro.

You're spreading straight bs son.
  • dbmata
    Options
    for some reason when I squat or stretch my right knee starts to hurt. I'm not Sure if it's from doing squats (I stopped squatting with weights for now) or stair master almost every day. What are some things I can do other then icing it to keep it from hurting?

While rehabbing my injured knee the RX was:

1. Squats
    2. Deadlifts
    3. Squats
    4. Split leg squats
    5. Box jumps
    6. Step ups
    7. Walking lunges, for miles

I also would use a brace when needed, but only when needed. Sometimes it was just a matter of warming up the knee, other times, the knee just wasn't feeling it that day.

When in doubt, talk to a PT. Also, that stair master is going to be bomber for aggro'ing any patfem problems you are having.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're squatting every day AND using a stair master every day on top of that? What did you think was gonna happen? Even the most aggressive squat programs only prescribe squats 4x a week (and certainly no stairmaster which is rough on the knees too). Even 4x a week is extreme. Most people only squat 1-2x a week (beginners can get away with 3x).

Long story short, give your knees some rest and I bet they will feel a whole lot better. And ignore MKT55 while you're at it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Consider stop doing anything that hurts it so you are not crippled up like me 44 years from now. If it does not hurt from slow walking just do that for a while perhaps.

• dbmata
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Long story short, give your knees some rest and I bet they will feel a whole lot better. And ignore MKT55 while you're at it.

and add GaleHawkins to ignore. Known account for spreading disinformation.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, wear a support strap.
  • laperegrina18
    laperegrina18 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have weak knees runs in my family I've got arthritis in my knees now so don't go near squats
    I'd be interested in what other would recommend to help strengthen my knees
    I'm currently using treadmill daily I do two sets of 1 mile incline interval training of a morning then average between 12000-14000 steps daily with all the walking I do to and from workplace
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

But that information is correct
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

But that information is correct

But its more about protecting the hips and back than it is the knees.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OP consider foam rolling your IT band, wearing a knee support and laying off the stair master - there are less impactful cardio options
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've gotten plenty of advice on how to perfect your squatting. Aside from icing your knee, compression and elevation are the two other major fixes for pain and swelling. Take a Non-Steriodal Anti-Inflamatory as well, like Aleve.
  • mariapagiazitis
    Options
    @DopeItUp‌ I stopped stair master for the past couple of days and my knees feel a lot better. I hated running so I did stair master everyday as my substitute for cardio but now I know better to not do that. I also don't squat almost everyday I do four days then a rest day, But thank you so much for the help!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

and add GaleHawkins to ignore. Known account for spreading disinformation.

+ 1-Gazillion
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Swimming
    Stationary bike
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have weak knees runs in my family I've got arthritis in my knees now so don't go near squats
    I'd be interested in what other would recommend to help strengthen my knees
    I'm currently using treadmill daily I do two sets of 1 mile incline interval training of a morning then average between 12000-14000 steps daily with all the walking I do to and from workplace

I saw an physiotherapist today and it was amazing. If you haven't seen one, I really suggest it. I got individual advice that will be ongoing from a professional who knows my history and goals- you just can't beat that. I also was able to get a referral through my doctor so the cost was covered too. That being said, without knowing anything else about you, swimming and rest days may be good ideas.