give me mushrooms or give me... I just want mushrooms

Options
I looove mushrooms it is all I want right now. Problem is I don't know too many ways that are healthy to make them other than roasted marinated or in stuff. I don't eat meat but would love any vegetarian options for them.

Replies

• KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I adore mushrooms too ... oyster mushrooms mostly. All I do is fry them up in a little bit of butter or toss them into a salad or wok fry them with other veges. The great thing about mushrooms is you can eat so many for so little cals and they fill you up so easily!
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Ya they have a great texture too
  • ejjprice1810
    ejjprice1810 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stuff with spinach and ricotta, or sweet potato and garlic mash.
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I thought u were a drug fiend by the subject!
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I eat them with a bit of low fat cream or cream cheese and garlic ( I fry them on a pan). Mushrooms have very few calories so sometimes I add a bit of parmesan cheese as well.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Stuff with spinach and ricotta, or sweet potato and garlic mash.
    Omg sounds so good
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Semifredo wrote: »
    I eat them with a bit of low fat cream or cream cheese and garlic ( I fry them on a pan). Mushrooms have very few calories so sometimes I add a bit of parmesan cheese as well.
    OK yes to this too!
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    JP_909 wrote: »
    I thought u were a drug fiend by the subject!
    Lol noooo
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Mushroom pate, basically just fry mushrooms with onions, add to low fat cream cheese and blitz

Many recipes on the web for variations on this
  • choligeetu
    choligeetu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Going a stew with mixed types of mushrooms tastes just super!!!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Love em too. My favorite is thinly sliced portobello on sandwiches.
  • gemmaloulou85
    Options
    I love a bacon and mushroom sandwich. Hairy dieters cook book has a chicken and mushroom risotto recipe made with of creme fraise I think.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you put them on a skewer brushed with a little garlic oil and put them under the grill/broiler, or on the barbecue, they are delicious. I like portobello stuffed with crab meat, old bay , peppers and chives too.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    I don't eat meat though stewed is interesting
  • mckennasihde
    mckennasihde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I made last weekend for Hungarian Mushroom soup! I left out the potatoes and each serving for me was only about 150 calories! Plus its freaking delicious with some crusty bread! :)
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    stir-fried?

just slice'em all up, put them in a pan with olive oil (or butter, if you prefer) and a clove of garlic. cook for a few minutes. remove garlic, sprinkle with parsley leaves

mode ideas:

stuffed – take out the stems, chop em up, mix with dried/stale bread crumbs, some cheese and any other ingredient you like (eventually add an egg to bind all together). put them in the oven and enjoy
    do a wonderful mushroom risotto – that is a bit more complex. PM me and I'll give you the full recipe. :smile:
    stir fry them with other vegetables
    make soup with them
    mushroom ham and cream tortellini – you cook the tortellini in salted boiling water. on the side, you slice the mushrooms, add some diced ham (or leave it out if you don't want any meat) and crême fraîche
    make your own mushroom tortellini - if ever you are up for a challenge
    make a velouté – these are deceivingly simple. you cook the mushrooms in plenty of butter, add some flour once done. them let them boil in some broth. blend everything. add cream. mix. done.
  • jaystepper4life
    Options
    I love them too!! My favorites are in a shepherds pie or meatless like to call it farmers pie, mushroom soup, mushrooms ravioli(making today) and in a veggi couscous. Farmers pie is so easy I always make it saves well too
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love them too!! My favorites are in a shepherds pie or meatless like to call it farmers pie, mushroom soup, mushrooms ravioli(making today) and in a veggi couscous. Farmers pie is so easy I always make it saves well too

as in, you are actually stuffing your own ravioli? Kudos then! I do not have the patience. :smiley: