The human body is so weird... Advice please : )

Options
13»

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Daiako wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The numbers you have for your exercise burns are...optimistic.

She's logging her calorie burn (which is from the treadmill and pretty high) as well as getting a fit bit adjustment. I don't have a fitbit, but it seems like she's getting double credit for a single workout.

OP: Saturday, Sunday and Monday don't look accurate. You need to log accurately every day.

I do have a fitbit and I believe you've found the problem. Double credit.

but if you allow negative adjustments this won't happen. So if she has it set up that way it should be okay.

This confused me for a really long time so I will spell it out. If fitbit thinks I burned 2000 calories today including a run, and MFP thinks that run burned 500 cals and I log it in MFP, MFP will project that I will burn 2500 calories today. If negative fitbit adjustments are allowed it will automatically add an adjustment of -500 on MFP to take my cals back down to the overall 2000 that fitbit says I burned. Does that make any sense?

As long as you have allowed negative calorie adjustments your workouts will NOT get double counted.

It makes sense, yes, but she clearly doesn't have negative adjustment set up, as evidenced by her large number of exercise calories.

With that in mind my suggestion is: stop logging the workouts or enable negative adjustment. Either will work (I myself do negative adjustment and don't log exercise calories. That's just me tho)

I don't have my negative adjustment set up and I do not get double credit. The key is to log step based exercise into either MFP or Fitbit ( never both!) and be accurate about starting time and duration. Fitbit does not give step calories burned credit for a logged exercise, only steps taken outside of logged exercise.

It's all well and good to talk about how it should work and what doesn't happen for you BUT the OP is clearly getting double credit, as she's having fitbit adjustments in the 400 range AND is adding 500 calories for things like treadmill work. It's fine to say 'there shouldn't be double credit' BUT since there is double credit it's a pretty hollow sentiment.

OP needs to: Pick a number and stick with it OR unlink her fitbit OR stop logging her workout calories and let the tracker set her totals.

Also work on her food logging accuracy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good advice here. Your burns don't look accurate to me. IMO, I wouldn't waste your time or money on any detox stuff.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Your metabolism doens't need a reset and detoxes are a joke.

If you've stalled, did you adjust your calories for a new lower weight?
    Are you being entirely accurate with logging food> As in, weighing everything and finding correct entries?
    When you log your workouts, are you logging the calorie burns from here (often too high), or changing them for yourself?

Yes I have changed my caloric intake for my new weight.

Yes I accurately log..My food scale is awesome : )

Yes I accurately log my workouts...I have a Fitbit

Are these accurate:

1Serving of a milkshake? What's a "serving" of a milkshake?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-12

592 calories? Hummus, coffee and a soup?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-11

858 calories?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-10

790 calories? A salad and a quest bar?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-03

1010 calories? A salad and a pizza?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-01

It also looks like you go out to eat fairly regularly. Calorie counts of restaurant foods aren't always accurate. They don't measure exactly how much cheese or sauce or butter they put into things. If you really want to see the scale move you may have to skip eating out for a while and make sure you really are being accurate.

BAM! This woman knows^^^

The milkshake at least just means that she used the recipe builder. If you look at my diary you see the same thing. The recipe builder only allows "servings" as a unit of measurement.

Agreed on the others though and on the Fitbit double counting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I wouldn't sync your fitbit to MFP. Use MFP for food/exercise/calorie logging and FitBit for steps. FitBit gives way too many "exercise calories burned". I strictly log only true exercise calories as a burn. Hope that makes sense.

Lots of people have had success connectingb fitbit and MFP however the tracker (and the websites) are just tools that only work as well as the person using them allows them to work.

I would think then, that the successful users are deleting the fitbit "exercise burns'' from their MFP diaries.

Nope. I eat back every single Fitbit calorie and have for 8 months.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Are you being entirely accurate with logging food> As in, weighing everything and finding correct entries?
    When you log your workouts, are you logging the calorie burns from here (often too high), or changing them for yourself?

Are these accurate:

858 calories?

It also looks like you go out to eat fairly regularly. Calorie counts of restaurant foods aren't always accurate. They don't measure exactly how much cheese or sauce or butter they put into things. If you really want to see the scale move you may have to skip eating out for a while and make sure you really are being accurate.

BAM! This woman knows^^^

The milkshake at least just means that she used the recipe builder. If you look at my diary you see the same thing. The recipe builder only allows "servings" as a unit of measurement.

The milkshake one? I could see that. A cup of skim milk is about 100 calories and half a cup of strawberry ice cream would be about 50-60 calories. Works out. Although, that was all of her logged dinner and her calories were lower than normal that day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

She's logging her calorie burn (which is from the treadmill and pretty high) as well as getting a fit bit adjustment. I don't have a fitbit, but it seems like she's getting double credit for a single workout.

OP: Saturday, Sunday and Monday don't look accurate. You need to log accurately every day.

but if you allow negative adjustments this won't happen. So if she has it set up that way it should be okay.

This confused me for a really long time so I will spell it out. If fitbit thinks I burned 2000 calories today including a run, and MFP thinks that run burned 500 cals and I log it in MFP, MFP will project that I will burn 2500 calories today. If negative fitbit adjustments are allowed it will automatically add an adjustment of -500 on MFP to take my cals back down to the overall 2000 that fitbit says I burned. Does that make any sense?

As long as you have allowed negative calorie adjustments your workouts will NOT get double counted.

It makes sense, yes, but she clearly doesn't have negative adjustment set up, as evidenced by her large number of exercise calories.

With that in mind my suggestion is: stop logging the workouts or enable negative adjustment. Either will work (I myself do negative adjustment and don't log exercise calories. That's just me tho)

I don't have my negative adjustment set up and I do not get double credit. The key is to log step based exercise into either MFP or Fitbit ( never both!) and be accurate about starting time and duration. Fitbit does not give step calories burned credit for a logged exercise, only steps taken outside of logged exercise.

Yep you're doing it right though. OP is not.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Are these accurate:

858 calories?

BAM! This woman knows^^^

The milkshake one? I could see that. A cup of skim milk is about 100 calories and half a cup of strawberry ice cream would be about 50-60 calories. Works out. Although, that was all of her logged dinner and her calories were lower than normal that day.

There's no question her logging accuracy needs work. She's got "servings" logged of other things too that are not homemade recipes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Are these accurate:

858 calories?

BAM! This woman knows^^^

There's no question her logging accuracy needs work. She's got "servings" logged of other things too that are not homemade recipes.

Plus things like bananas are not always exactly 100 calories. Veggies are measured in cups, etc. Take out items.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you log on MFP and give the correct starting time and duration of a step based exercise, Fitbit does not give you double credit. It still counts the steps, but assumes that the steps you took during the exercise are included in the exercise that was logged and defers to MFP.

Not always. If you don't have negative calorie adjustment setup it just adds without shifting.

No it doesn't if you log correctly. For example, I went to the pool with 5500 steps and 98 exercise calories earned from my Fitbit. When I got back, I had 12500 steps and 520 calories earned. I logged my swimming (60 minutes from 2:45 PM to 3:45 PM and 612 calories) and my water aerobics class (40 minutes from 3:50 PM to 4:30 PM and 272 calories) which, if I was getting double credit, would total 1404 calorie earned. I actually have 926 calories earned which is the 884 from my time at the pool plus 42 from the steps I took before the pool.

On a side note, I have not eaten back 926 calories because I know that is an overestimation. I typically eat back about 1/2 of my Fitbit earned calories and about 1/4 of my workout calories. Today I was "under" target by 700 calories. It is working for me. MFP is set for me to lose 1 lb a week and over the last year I have actually averaged 1.4 a week which is perfect.

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

If you log on MFP and give the correct starting time and duration of a step based exercise, Fitbit does not give you double credit. It still counts the steps, but assumes that the steps you took during the exercise are included in the exercise that was logged and defers to MFP.

Not always. If you don't have negative calorie adjustment setup it just adds without shifting.

No it doesn't if you log correctly. For example, I went to the pool with 5500 steps and 98 exercise calories earned from my Fitbit. When I got back, I had 12500 steps and 520 calories earned. I logged my swimming (60 minutes from 2:45 PM to 3:45 PM and 612 calories) and my water aerobics class (40 minutes from 3:50 PM to 4:30 PM and 272 calories) which, if I was getting double credit, would total 1404 calorie earned. I actually have 926 calories earned which is the 884 from my time at the pool plus 42 from the steps I took before the pool.

On a side note, I have not eaten back 926 calories because I know that is an overestimation. I typically eat back about 1/2 of my Fitbit earned calories and about 1/4 of my workout calories. Today I was "under" target by 700 calories. It is working for me. MFP is set for me to lose 1 lb a week and over the last year I have actually averaged 1.4 a week which is perfect.

Sigh
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

If 1.4 pounds per week is "perfect" why set for one pound per week and play guessing games?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

If 1.4 pounds per week is "perfect" why set for one pound per week and play guessing games?

Because I would rather underestimate my burn and have wiggle room than try to be perfect and get it wrong.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Because I would rather underestimate my burn and have wiggle room than try to be perfect and get it wrong.

Exactly. You can play it either way. I plan using MFP for 2lb/week and lose 1.5lb/week because I know I overestimate exercise and underestimate food. You can do it the other way too, and as long as it works for you then who gives a toss what the purists think?

Let's go back to the OP's issue. No weight loss for a month. She's not eating back all of her exercise calories. Forgetting exercise/fitbit calories: she's got days around 1600 and days around 2000. She's also got several days where she's 500, 800, 1000. Some of her food logged in the last month doesn't look accurate. She eats out and drinks alcohol fairly often.

If she wants to see the scale change she needs to log accurately. She may also need to give up eating out temporarily. I suggested a flat rate intake and accurate logging.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

That's why it worked for you. And what I was saying to do from my OP.