Complete Beginner-Can I really gain on a deficit?

Options
Hi everyone! So I've been reading quite a bit of posts and threads and I've seen it mentioned quite frequently that you absolutely cannot gain muscle on a deficit.....that is, unless you are a beginner. Is this true? If so, would the gains be appreciable or just marginal? How different would the gains be for a complete beginner while: (a) on a deficit; versus (b) maintaining; versus (c) on a lean bulk? Thanks for your time and any help and/or advice.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't know about muscle gains, but strength gains? Definitely.

To pull from my own experience. I started on a deficit and strength training about 2.5 months ago. When I started I did 3x8 with 40kg on bench press. Last Thursday I hit a PB at 3x8 with 57.5kg.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are a complete beginner to lifting then yes, you can experience "newbie gains" while eating in a deficit, but those are going to peter out after about 3-6 months, and if you keep eating in a deficit, beyond stated period, you will lose some muscle mass…so the "gains" are going to be pretty minimal.

For the rest of us, that have been lifting for a wile, we will not gain any muscle mass in a deficit.

Remember:

calorie surplus = muscle gain
    calorie deficit = fat loss

An analogy that I like to use is if you were building a house out of X materials and ran out of X materials could you build said house by tearing it down and building it at the same time? You cannot build something out of nothing, and same goes for building muscle in a calorie deficit.

As far as strength gains, yes you can get those in a deficit. just remember that strength gains do not equally muscle gains. You can train your body to lift more efficiently but this does not mean that you have build new muscle.

whether you could cut or bulk depends on your current stats. What is your weight/height/age/gender/ and current body fat%? If you are +15% body fat you should cut down to sub 15%, I would say AT LEAST 11-12% before you bulk…

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    newb muscle gains are possible in a deficit, but also minimal. You can make excellent strength gains in a deficit of energy though.

Deficit of energy = catabolic state...you really can't gain appreciable muscle when you are catabolic

surplus of energy = anabolic state...if you're pumping iron you will put on muscle..if not, you will just get fat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You could if you were deadly accurate on logging and really understand how to do it but the progress will be so slow you might go nuts depending on where you are. If you have fat to lose then just cut and lift to preserve then start bulking when you hit your goal. Bulk with a small surplus to maximize muscle while minimizing fat regain then cut and repeat. This will probably be much more satisfying than trying to do both at the same time since you will actually see more progress at one time. Recomping is like watching paint dry.
  • Brynich
    Brynich Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you for this link. I'll get started on it right now.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you are a complete beginner to lifting then yes, you can experience "newbie gains" while eating in a deficit, but those are going to peter out after about 3-6 months, and if you keep eating in a deficit, beyond stated period, you will lose some muscle mass…so the "gains" are going to be pretty minimal.

For the rest of us, that have been lifting for a wile, we will not gain any muscle mass in a deficit.

Remember:

An analogy that I like to use is if you were building a house out of X materials and ran out of X materials could you build said house by tearing it down and building it at the same time? You cannot build something out of nothing, and same goes for building muscle in a calorie deficit.

As far as strength gains, yes you can get those in a deficit. just remember that strength gains do not equally muscle gains. You can train your body to lift more efficiently but this does not mean that you have build new muscle.

whether you could cut or bulk depends on your current stats. What is your weight/height/age/gender/ and current body fat%? If you are +15% body fat you should cut down to sub 15%, I would say AT LEAST 11-12% before you bulk…

Would these "newbie" gains be both strength and hypertrophy or just mainly strength? What's a reliable method to estimate body fat% since I heard those fat calipers are horribly inaccurate? I am about 155-157 pounds (weight fluctuates due to water weight I assume), 6 ft, 20 y-o, male, idk about the body fat%. Idk if I should just continue cutting or if I'm ready to start bulking. According to my BMI I'm in about the exact center of the healthy scale however everyone tells me I'm skinny and even say that I "look like a stick". This is odd, but I look skinny when I stand, but a little fat-ish when I sit. You can kind of see my ribs a little, especially if I stretch but I feel like I have a little pouch on my abdominal region. When I stand and look in the mirror I can somewhat see an outline of abs however I don't know if it really is abs or if it's just my mind playing tricks on me and it's really just weirdly shaped fat (It feels kind of soft and kind of hard at the same time). I also have what I believe to be a bit of loose skin on my abdominal area if that makes a difference. I really don't know if this description is helping at all but I could upload a pic if necessary.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Brynich wrote: »

Thank you for this link. I'll get started on it right now.

Remember:

Would these "newbie" gains be both strength and hypertrophy or just mainly strength? What's a reliable method to estimate body fat% since I heard those fat calipers are horribly inaccurate? I am about 155-157 pounds (weight fluctuates due to water weight I assume), 6 ft, 20 y-o, male, idk about the body fat%. Idk if I should just continue cutting or if I'm ready to start bulking. According to my BMI I'm in about the exact center of the healthy scale however everyone tells me I'm skinny and even say that I "look like a stick". This is odd, but I look skinny when I stand, but a little fat-ish when I sit. You can kind of see my ribs a little, especially if I stretch but I feel like I have a little pouch on my abdominal region. When I stand and look in the mirror I can somewhat see an outline of abs however I don't know if it's just it really is or if it's just my mind playing tricks on me and it's really just weirdly shaped fat (It feels kind of soft and kind of hard at the same time). I really don't know if this description is helping at all but I could upload a pic if necessary.

Gaining strength involves muscle hypertrophy and CNS programming to gain efficiencies. If you are still working on the neuro programming part then your body isn't going to put on much muscle. You should put on some extra muscle but not much until after you max out the CNS gains.

Fat calipers can be very reliable and even if not completely accurate they will at least help you track your relative progress if you are consistent in your method of measuring yourself. You could also use a BF scale to track relative gains and loses in fat.

Since you are already a good weight I would start right away bulking until about 15-18% fat range then start your cut.

Good luck to you.
  • Brynich
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1w0l0oyj1zyi.jpg
    yx6tqt67aff9.jpg

Edited To Add: Front Photo (N.B. I just ate so I don't even know if this is a proper reflection of my current state)
    o93xxpa24r8d.jpg

These are some pics that I took. I hope this helps to better show what I was trying to describe earlier. Am I lean enough to start bulking? Or should I cut some more?
  • Brynich
    edited January 2015
    Options

Gaining strength involves muscle hypertrophy and CNS programming to gain efficiencies. If you are still working on the neuro programming part then your body isn't going to put on much muscle. You should put on some extra muscle but not much until after you max out the CNS gains.

Fat calipers can be very reliable and even if not completely accurate they will at least help you track your relative progress if you are consistent in your method of measuring yourself. You could also use a BF scale to track relative gains and loses in fat.

Since you are already a good weight I would start right away bulking until about 15-18% fat range then start your cut.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the response! How long does the neuro-programming stage last (and how would I know when it is completed?), and is it thus a waste to eat in a surplus while in this phase (i.e would most of the calories go to fat gain)? I'll look into getting a fat caliper then, but from my pics do you think you could estimate my fat percentage?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the response! How long does the neuro-programming stage last (and how would I know when it is completed?), and is it thus a waste to eat in a surplus while in this phase (i.e would most of the calories go to fat gain)? I'll look into getting a fat caliper then, but from my pics do you think you could estimate my fat percentage?

There is always some CNS programming going on, it never really stops, but the initial gains will be rather short. I'm not sure exactly since it will vary from person to person, but probably the first three or so will be the major gains there. You will see some hypertrophy as well but not as much once the neuro gains taper off. You will know when you've lost the neuro gains because your strength gains will dry up rather quickly and you will start to hit plateaus. This is the indication that you are past those initial CNS gains and that you will have to fight for hypertrophy, which is much slower to gain.

Sorry, I'm not really good at guessing body fat from photos but there are some who do a good job at it and they might chime in.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    from the pics I am guessing 14-15%….

anyone else …?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    from the pics I am guessing 14-15%….

anyone else …?

Between 0-100%? That's all I got lol.
  • Brynich
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So I should get my bf down by another 5% or so before I consider bulking? Also, was I right about that being a semi-outline of abs, or is it really just a pocket of fat/flab?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So I should get my bf down by another 5% or so before I consider bulking? Also, was I right about that being a semi-outline of abs, or is it really just a pocket of fat/flab?

you have an outline of upper abs that you can kinda see and also slight oblique line…but there is definitely still some fat on the lower part which is why we are thinking 14-16% …

Yes, cut down to about 10-11% body fat…

when you hit about 10-11 your upper abs should show unflexed and the lower prat will be pretty flat…

some people may have more visible abs than other at 10-11 …genetics does come into play as to how your abs "look" wen visible..

• ndj1979
    Options
    as reference point I started my bulk right about at 12%….which is where I was in my profile pic that is up now...
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

This sucks, but I think that's some extra skin. So it's hard to tell your bf%.

I'd say start bulking now. Add some mass and hope that skin tightens up over time.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) I'd start lifting- STAT. I woulnd't even worry so much about cutting down to a lower body fat- eat at minantance and lift the hell out of a program.

2.) this really REALLY needs to be addressed
    . This is odd, but I look skinny when I stand, but a little fat-ish when I sit.

this is a disturbing comment. Why? because it's something teenage girls say when they start getting all weird about their weight.

You know why you look fatish when you sit- because you're a human being- not a wax satue.

I have amazing quads-and a pretty spectacular *kitten* (well- it's pretty good to me- I'm saying spectacular because reports of those words are told to me as such) But I digress- when I sit down- it's out right elephant legs. It's a reality.

We are made of flexible not inert materials. You WILL always have wrinkles when you sit down- you are not a wax statue so just go head and get right on over that concept if you ever want to have any success at this whole body image thing.
  • Brynich
    Options

There is always some CNS programming going on, it never really stops, but the initial gains will be rather short. I'm not sure exactly since it will vary from person to person, but probably the first three or so will be the major gains there. You will see some hypertrophy as well but not as much once the neuro gains taper off. You will know when you've lost the neuro gains because your strength gains will dry up rather quickly and you will start to hit plateaus. This is the indication that you are past those initial CNS gains and that you will have to fight for hypertrophy, which is much slower to gain.

Sorry, I'm not really good at guessing body fat from photos but there are some who do a good job at it and they might chime in.

The major CNS programming will last the first three what? weeks? months? Does that mean that it is essentially a waste of time to run a hypertrophy oriented program (such as All Pro's) during this time period when the CNS is being reprogrammed, as opposed to running a strength oriented program (such as Starting Strength)?

you have an outline of upper abs that you can kinda see and also slight oblique line…but there is definitely still some fat on the lower part which is why we are thinking 14-16% …

Yes, cut down to about 10-11% body fat…

when you hit about 10-11 your upper abs should show unflexed and the lower prat will be pretty flat…

some people may have more visible abs than other at 10-11 …genetics does come into play as to how your abs "look" wen visible..

Thanks for clearing that up. Approximately how many pounds do you think I would need to lose to get to 10-11% body fat? Would losing 15 pounds be enough? 20?

This sucks, but I think that's some extra skin. So it's hard to tell your bf%.

I'd say start bulking now. Add some mass and hope that skin tightens up over time.

I think there's some extra skin there as well, however there is without a doubt a good amount of fat left there. I believe it has started to tighten already though. That's one of the reasons why I was contemplating if I should start bulking, to give it some time to catch up.

JoRocka wrote: »
    1.) I'd start lifting- STAT. I woulnd't even worry so much about cutting down to a lower body fat- eat at minantance and lift the hell out of a program.

2.) this really REALLY needs to be addressed
    . This is odd, but I look skinny when I stand, but a little fat-ish when I sit.

this is a disturbing comment. Why? because it's something teenage girls say when they start getting all weird about their weight.

You know why you look fatish when you sit- because you're a human being- not a wax satue.

I have amazing quads-and a pretty spectacular *kitten* (well- it's pretty good to me- I'm saying spectacular because reports of those words are told to me as such) But I digress- when I sit down- it's out right elephant legs. It's a reality.

We are made of flexible not inert materials. You WILL always have wrinkles when you sit down- you are not a wax statue so just go head and get right on over that concept if you ever want to have any success at this whole body image thing.

1) Wouldn't that be recomp, which is supposed to be painfully slower than bulking->cutting or vice versa?

2) Truth be told, I wasn't really stressing over this all too much. I was describing it in case it would help in determining my BF%. Strangely enough however, it didn't dawn on me that this was normal and that it happens to lean people as well. I just chalked it up to my extra-fat and skin. In any case, thank you for that as now I can completely remove that issue from my mind.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd say yes- but you haven't been lifting - you can make solid progress eating at maintenance and lifting regularly- recomping at the upper levels is when it sucks.