What was the worst fad diet you ever tried...

Options

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    AdvoCare 24-day challenge...... I was naïve and thought these magical supplements did all the work when really being in a severe calorie deficit while lifting weights might have had a bigger impact on why I lost as much as I did. What a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!
  • prispunch
    prispunch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me, Keto. I know it works for many people, but I felt disgusted. I also really enjoy veggies, and I couldn't deal with cutting a lot of them out.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Juice fasting by far and the soup diet I gained back every pound I lost then some
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Plus I was so miserable
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    My sister once did a Watermelon juice diet. (only watermelon juice for 7days.. boy was she sick!!)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I tried keto and had massive headaches for weeks.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yea well the lemonade diet . Well I guess it isn't really a diet it's supposedly a master cleanse . Gave me a headache and really bad acid reflux
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Yea well the lemonade diet . Well I guess it isn't really a diet it's supposedly a master cleanse . Gave me a headache and really bad acid reflux

http://youtu.be/6hhzdcRaB3I
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I tried way too many to remember them all but here's a few highlights:

There was the eat 500 calories for 3 days straight, 2 days increase to 800 rinse and repeat.. no energy, lost some weight but also lost some hair and pissed off everyone around me.

Of course I was dieting in the 80s so there was the cut out as much fat fad...

Grapefruit diet.... cabbage soup diet... I'll take a pill and it will fix everything diet...

The I'm going to make my life miserable and everyone around me hate me diet...

Luckily I learned this time around to Keep it Simple and eat Gelato
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I ate less than 800-1000cals for months. I shouldn't be surprised about the hair loss. Heck, I have to stick at least sedentary maintenance during recovery and that's 18k according to mfp.

Also, I lived off Lean Cuisines during a six month weight loss stint.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    six small meals a day to increase metabolism and no carbs after 6pm….

I also feel victim to sugar is evil/bad back when first started..
    Don't worry I think we were all a little guilty of that thought when we first began. I know I was ;) but in my defense, I blame health class!

I guess attempting to give up sugar was my "failed diet". I've mentioned in other discussions that I gave up sugar in the form of pastries, cookies, cakes, chocolate etc. for lent 2 or 3 years ago. I did well, but after lent was over it was binge city, especially because Easter marks the end of lent and there was tons of food around for the holiday. A few months later I tried to cut out sugar because I kept hearing how "bad" it really was but I'd fail. Every single day.
  • AdorkableMe2015
    AdorkableMe2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never tried any fad diets because that's exactly what they are, fads. However, I did try a modified paleo "eating style", which meant no wheat (gluten) or grains. I got to eat what I wanted (portion control) as long as it wasn't a grain, bean or contain gluten. I lost 20 lbs in three months, with moderate exercise, dropped 40 cholesterol pts, and reduced my RA level from 24 back to 14. So for me, that was a huge success. It turned out I AM gluten intolerant so, win win. My mistake was in going back to eating gluten and larger portions, while not exercising.

I don't recommend everyone try going gluten free, but for some of us, it does make a huge difference. And it's not a weight loss diet, it's a "get rid of the inflammation diet".

I've read a lot about fad diets like the green coffee bean extract, phenphermine, master cleanse, etc. Those are always accompanied by low cal eating plans and plenty of exercise. What amazes me are the number of people who claim it's the extract, supplement or whatever -- and not the lower cals and exercise -- that help with weight loss.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast.
    I farted for days.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Eat every 2-3 hours or your body will go into starvation mode and you'll lose all your gainz. Yep, I fell for this derp and just ended up chubby with mild insulin resistance.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think I tried the cabbage soup, grapefruit diet, rice diet and that nasty master cleanse, oh and slim fast.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Other than the Master Cleanse, which isn't really a diet, because you don't actually eat anything....

Paleo/Clean Eating. Pointless, arbitrarily-ruled waste of time.

CORGNADO.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet was the worst short-term; never been a cabbage fan and that didn't help!

Long-term, it was the low-fat diet. I did this for a couple of years while I was in high school, <20g/day. I did lose weight, but guess what females need more of during puberty? Fat. Healthy fat, but, yeah, fat. Without going TMI, I dealt with the effects on my system for at least 10 years.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Keto.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Demonizing sugar diet.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Demonizing sugar diet.