Jimmyftw94 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Which one do you like better?

Yeah and why
    Yeah and why what?

Do you like white rice or brown rice better and why
    White rice because brown rice tastes like dirt.

Same reasoning for me, though brown rice is crunchier rather than tastes like dirt. When I want crunchy rice, I just eat it dry out of the bag. Afaik from label reading, brown rice has more fibre than white. Eat what you like.

You're not using enough liquid...cooked properly, brown rice isn't crunchy at all.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah, brown rice takes about twice as much water and twice as much time as white rice. Another reason I don't really eat it.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I favor brown rice. However, my brother and his family prefer white rice. As others have mentioned-the decision is up to you and your taste preference. Change it up, you don't have to commit to one or the other forever.

I really like brown rice for the stir fries that I make. I also don't mind the sticky white rice they use at my fave sushi restaurant.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    White rice 10 times out of 10 - brown rice is not nice (personal preference).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Which one do you like better?

Yeah and why
    Yeah and why what?

Do you like white rice or brown rice better and why

Same reasoning for me, though brown rice is crunchier rather than tastes like dirt. When I want crunchy rice, I just eat it dry out of the bag. Afaik from label reading, brown rice has more fibre than white. Eat what you like.

You're not using enough liquid...cooked properly, brown rice isn't crunchy at all.

So what is the water:rice ratio for brown? It certainly isn't what works for white (2:1). I've even gone 3:1 and 4:1 and the brown rice was still crunchy.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I never eat white rice (except for the occasional situations when it's served at a function or friend's house). I prefer the taste of brown rice much more than white.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ginger -v- MaryAnn
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like brown over white. I don't really know why I just do. It seems less starchy/sticky to me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When you say, "brown" are you talking just color, wheat or the whole grain deal?

I have yet to find whole grain rice that I will eat. I just don't like it - not the texture or flavor...but I could get over the texture if I liked it. Even if I'm hungry, I'll take a couple bites and stop. I think people call it "wild" rice. The taste is certainly wild, IMO.

Brown tastes about the same and is more nutritious than white, so I get that, but I don't kid myself into thinking its a whole lot better.

I wish I could swallow the stuff with most nutrients and fiber, but I haven't found one I like. Not yet, anyway.
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    megsb1991 wrote: »
    Only just cooked with brown rice the other night and I can't believe some people called it bland!! I thought it was delicious.
    Only problem was- it wasn't as soft as I'd have liked!

Question: If I'm making up brown rice with 100g in its raw state- how much water do I need and for how long??

The rule of thumb is double the water to the rice. When cooking brown rice give it a good rinsing before hand. Brown rice has all the nutrients that white rice is stripped of. When you rinse it first you rinse away the loose chafe. It cooks up better. Also brown rice takes a little longer and may require a tad bit more water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Brown rice and wild rice are actually completely different.

Wild rice (or at least what is properly termed wild rice) isn't rice at all, but a grass native to North America. I like it a lot (much more than rice, which I can take or leave), although I don't actually eat it that often.

I like brown rice made at home marginally more than the white rice I make at home (I like rice in an Indian restaurant better, but usually eat little of it since I like other things even more), but it does take longer. The nutrients aren't that different, really.
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Cook over low heat about 30 minutes until all water is absorbed. Keep a lid on the pot and never stir it until the cooking process is complete.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I love black venere rice.

It smells like popcorn when you cook it.

wow that sounds great. i might have to try this one.

i prefer white if i'm cooking it myself, but at chipotle, i say BOTH PLEASE! (along with both beans, too!)

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Brown rice and wild rice are actually completely different.

Wild rice (or at least what is properly termed wild rice) isn't rice at all, but a grass native to North America. I like it a lot (much more than rice, which I can take or leave), although I don't actually eat it that often.

Yes, wild rice is completely different. It has to be harvested by hand, so it's expensive. It has a rich, nutty flavor. It doesn't absorb nearly as much water as true rice, so it's best cooked by simmering in plenty of water to cover, then draining. It takes an hour or more to cook, so between the price and the need to plan ahead, I don't eat it as often as I might otherwise.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    We tend to go for wholegrain rice all the time now, but I do still love basmati with curries.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I know it's not rice, but I feel the exact same way about tilapia!
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, quinoa, basmati rice, etc. Good luck!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    White rice 10 times out of 10 - brown rice is not nice (personal preference).
    Samesies.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a touch healthier than white rice. It has fewer carbs & calories, more fibre, more potassium and magnesium in comparison white rice. It's not by that much, so it's probably not worth worrying about if you're not into brown rice... but I wouldn't listen to people who say there's no difference because there is.
  • jcp3677
    Options
    Brown rice has 4x the fiber, 3x the magnesium, and 20% less carbs