Any out there on meds that make you gain weight?

Replies

• _Ben wrote: »
    Also for those who say medications can or cant cause weight loss, you're simply wrong. Medications can alter your metabolism,

which can make you gain weight, einstein :wink:

And seriously dude, you need to tread very carefully PMing with med suggestions. That's between the OP and her doctor/
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    _Ben wrote: »
    Pharmacist here. OP Im not seeing in this thread specifically what you are taking (possibly missed it) but if you want to send me a PM, there may be an alternative medication that might work a bit better for you.

Also for those who say medications can or cant cause weight loss, you're simply wrong. Medications can alter your metabolism, water retention, salt/electrolyte retention, etc. If anyone would like, Id be more than happy to explain in further detail

So if they alter your metabolism and lower your TDEE would the fat gain be from the meds directly or is it from a reduction in TDEE and eating above that?

Also, yes, please explain in further detail with supporting evidence.

If I hit you over the head with a hammer, just hypothetically of course, since I'm not a violent person, would the pain be from being hit in the head with a hammer, or from the inflammation caused by the burst blood vessels and fibers under the skin?

Sometimes people talk in shorthand. It's easier to say, "This medication causedweight gain," than "This medication caused my metabolism to slow which resulted in unknowingly overeating which resulted in weight gain."

• goldenrodfarm
    goldenrodfarm Posts: 34 Member
    I was put on a high dose of prednisone for 3 months for ITP, most people do gain weight on prednisone especially such a high dose. I noticed changes in my body, it gives you chipmunk cheeks and a pot belly, I really toed the line on my calories and exercise and didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any weight either. The amount of calories and exercise I was doing, I should have lost 2 lbs a week. Up to that point I had lost 56 lbs, losing 1 or 2 lbs a week. I finally finished the long taper a week ago last Tuesday and this Tuesday I weighed in at 2 lbs less! I imagine if I was on a maintenance diet of 2200 calories I would have gained weight, but the 1300 calories I was on maintained my weight.

People say meds don't make you gain weight but with my experience someone not indulging but staying on a maintenance diet would have gained weight. I do a lot of exercise in a day, always getting well over 10 K steps, I have a farm and do a lot of physical work including manually shoveling out the barn. My average steps are 13 K, the nights I work at the hospital I usually get in at least 10-12 K but days I am home I get in 15 K or more. With all that moving and healthy eating I should not have maintained my weight but lost. The minute I came off the prednisone my face started to lose its chipmunk cheeks and my belly started to go back down, and I feel much better, no more jitters and I can sleep.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    fevrale wrote: »
    The people telling you it's simple science, calories in-calories out, it's an excuse blah blah blah have obviously never felt the side effect of changed *kitten* brain chemistry affecting everything about them. I think it's rooted in a deeply held stigma not only of mental illness but also of FAT. So, weight gain associated with antidepressants and the like is a double stigma. They'll tell you to stop making excuses and whatever (lots of "tough love" advocates on this board...sans the love part)...

Guess what, the side effects listed on all of these medications we're discussing don't just list "increased appetite" as side effects, they include "weight gain." The medical literature refers to it as "antidepressant-induced weight gain." Induced meaning "bring about" or "bring rise" to. It's not "antidepressant-related weight gain if you're weak, lazy, or out of control." Check out the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry if you're so inclined. Upwards of 25% experience significant weight gain as a side effect. So, no, it's not a given but it's a likelihood.

So, yeah, it's up to us to offset the effects of these medications and their side effects to the best of our ability. But it's inappropriate to tell people how and why they're wrong about their medications and medical conditions, unless you're their *kitten* physician. I mean, the medication I gained weight on has a side effect of giving men female breasts. They should really work to offset that themselves and stop using their medication as an excuse for growing male boobs.

Talk to your doctors if you're concerned about medication and these WELL-KNOWN side effects. You may have to live with it to stay on the meds but there could be other advice they have for you in how to address the issues.

I've been on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and birth control medicines. All with weight gain as a potential side effect. I would not always be mindful of calorie counting or what I was putting into my body, which lead to weight gain. Once I started tracking my intake over the past year (while still on BC), I have lost weight and maintained when I wanted easily.

These pills do not contain the calories needed to cause significant weight gain. What they CAN do is affect the appetite (whether it is through not being hungry, or being ravenous), or cause someone to retain a lot of water, to name a few side effects.

It's definitely important to speak to a doctor if you suddenly gain 20lbs + while on the medicine. Changing the dosage, or getting a referral to a dietician or nutritionist to help look at one's intake and activity level can be of use. These medicines can have a huge impact on appetite, and it's important that if weight gain is happening, that you start from the bottom (looking at intake), and working your way up to see if you can locate the issue causing the gain.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I do think some medications *might* make it slightly easier to gain/harder to lose - but it still comes down to CICO, and being conscious of your logging/diet/exercise.

I'm on 7 medications currently, and several of them have potential side effects of weight gain. I've lost 67 pounds though, because I work my butt off.

I really do NOT feel like it's holding me back or making this weight loss stuff harder than it is for the next person.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Hily93 wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    If you're a med student, could you explain the biological mechanism for increased fat gain from these meds when in a calorie deficit please? You need to identify the processes by which this is accomplished in order to combat it. The article that you linked doesn't do that. It explains that there can be water retention, excess intake through increased appetite, less energy for exercise reducing the out side of the energy equation. All things affect the CICO energy mechanism.
    Please explain if there is some other mechanism responsible, then the effects may possibly be mitigated.

The ability for the body to burn calories can be affected, your body can't burn the amount of calories you eat, even if this is a very small amount.

That's just not true. Your metabolism slows down to the point that it won't even burn of minimal calories? You would basically die, you realize that?
    That's not what she said. She said even if the reduction is a small amount, which I agree with. This can be mitigated by decreasing intake to match.
  • Certain medications can affect your metabolism even if eating habits don't change. So you could gain if the meds slow down your metabolism which requires fewer calories for your body. Your calorie levels change. It's trial and error. I have taken a lot of the bi polar meds and anti depressants out there and I have gained weight but I attribute the gains more to water retention and more calories than maintenance. I have a hard time with the other side effects of the meds which makes finding one that works without causing more problems difficult. I'm currently on celexa which does not make me gain, it actually makes me not hungry and I'm looking into Latuda for my bipolar but my insurance won't cover it currently which doesn't have weight gain as a significant side effect. I would just try to be more diligent with logging and calorie counts to see if that helps.
  • I'm taking hormones and have started to wonder the same. Has anyone heard anything about weight gain with estrogen/progesterone? Feels like I crave bad carbs all the time recently.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    I gained 111 lbs within the past 3 years from antidepressants for anxiety and medications for managing my Crohn's disease. I've taken every AD under the sun… Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Effexor, Prozac, Tofranil, etc. I've also taken a number of benzodiazepines like Klonopin and Ativan.

During the time I gained 111 lbs, I was eating a strict diet from a dietician, counting calories, and was a competitive gymnast training 5 times a week for 3 hours each practice.

Before beginning AD's for my anxiety, I was a whopping 95-97 lbs. I couldn't gain a single pound no matter what I ate, how much I ate, etc.

I also developed insulin resistance which is a side effect of long-term AD use.

Anyone who says certain medications can't directly cause weight gain does not know what they are talking about. Scientists are still researching how and why it happens.

• Hily93
    Hily93 Posts: 65 Member
    Pharmacist here. OP Im not seeing in this thread specifically what you are taking (possibly missed it) but if you want to send me a PM, there may be an alternative medication that might work a bit better for you.

Also for those who say medications can or cant cause weight loss, you're simply wrong. Medications can alter your metabolism, water retention, salt/electrolyte retention, etc. If anyone would like, Id be more than happy to explain in further detail

So if they alter your metabolism and lower your TDEE would the fat gain be from the meds directly or is it from a reduction in TDEE and eating above that?

If I hit you over the head with a hammer, just hypothetically of course, since I'm not a violent person, would the pain be from being hit in the head with a hammer, or from the inflammation caused by the burst blood vessels and fibers under the skin?

Sometimes people talk in shorthand. It's easier to say, "This medication causedweight gain," than "This medication caused my metabolism to slow which resulted in unknowingly overeating which resulted in weight gain."

I gotta say I love your comments!!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited January 2015

Lots of misinformation in this thread, Im a bit busy at the moment, but I'll do a brief explanation. Dont really have a bunch of time to sit on this thread, so Ill do my best to make a brief, but thorough answer

Weight gain and weight loss is controlled by a host of mechanisms, but primarily it is based off calories in vs calories out, which is the basis of MyFitnessPal. Calories out is primaily controlled by your metabolism, which is controlled by the energy that is expended by the body, and hormonal regulation. Drugs that alter either your energy, your hormones, or metabolism (such as thyroid medications) can have positive or negative effects. This is especially true with oral contraceptives, antidepressants (both atypical and typical), antipsychotics, thyroid medications, diabetic medications, parkinsons medications, nasal decongestants, and some blood pressure and heart medications.

Other medications can alter other factors that while not directly affecting calorie use, can change storage habits. Some medications will cause increased or decreased glucose storage. Some move electrolytes and fluids into different locations, causing an increase/decrease in fluid weight. Heck if you take HCTZ you lose a bunch of fluid weight due to its diuretic effects. Just the same, theres plenty of drugs that cause fluid retention. Some medications also will increase appetite, which often times cause people to gain weight. While that weight gain is due to them eating more food, some drugs have reported increased appetite, leading to increased weight gain, therefore are considered to be related to weight gain.

In terms of supporting evidence, it really depends on the actual drug you are talking about, but pretty much the best source for anything is the National Library of Medicine. Here are some quick links I found, related to a few different drugs

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0003573/ - Good overview summary article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11681765 - Abstract related to weight gain in different antipsychotics

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16234878 - Abstract related to weight gain in general. Not on my work computer ATM so I couldnt access the full article.
    Also for those who say medications can or cant cause weight loss, you're simply wrong. Medications can alter your metabolism,

And seriously dude, you need to tread very carefully PMing with med suggestions. That's between the OP and her doctor/

Im not certain what you meant by the first portion of your comment, but I think its just that I meant to type weight gain instead of weight loss, simple typo.

In terms of medication recommendations, it is something that I have a degree and a license in. Its also a recommendation. A) These are prescription medications, and without a prescription from her doctor, there is no way for her to get these medications. B ) Its a recommendation. Of course without seeing her lab values, PMH, SH, FH, etc, there is no way to know for certain. Thats why I was offering to recommend an alternative, that may have decreased weight gain effects, but either a similar or comparable MOA. Thats what my job is as a Pharamcist. I can make a recommendation, and through her talking to her doctor, she possibly could make a switch. There is a reason that we are called 'drug experts'; because we are drug experts. I am simply offering an extension of some advice if she would like some, but I would never recommend doing anything without her doctor being aware. I never recommend my patients change their therapy without also consulting their doctor, often times I will call their doctor so all 3 of us can have a conversation to optimize therapy, outcomes, and adhrence

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Medications can increase the appetite. Eating too much makes you gain weight.

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

How tall are you, how old are you and how much did you weigh when you gained eating under 2000 a day?

I would definitely gain at 1800 or 1900 calories a day. I did when I was not medicated. My maintenance right now at 199 lbs. is a little over 1900.

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    4 words: talk to your doctor.
    /thread

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

Meds don't have calories. They don't defy the laws of physics.

But they do make you gain weight

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat

This article first states that they don't really know why, and later says:

Fernstrom tells WebMD that the medication-associated weight gain can be modest -- or as much as 30 pounds over several months.

"And in some cases, it is unrelated to the action of the drug itself," she adds. "For example, if an antidepressant makes people feel better, their appetite may be restored and they eat more."

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

Lots of misinformation in this thread, Im a bit busy at the moment, but I'll do a brief explanation. Dont really have a bunch of time to sit on this thread, so Ill do my best to make a brief, but thorough answer

Weight gain and weight loss is controlled by a host of mechanisms, but primarily it is based off calories in vs calories out, which is the basis of MyFitnessPal. Calories out is primaily controlled by your metabolism, which is controlled by the energy that is expended by the body, and hormonal regulation. Drugs that alter either your energy, your hormones, or metabolism (such as thyroid medications) can have positive or negative effects. This is especially true with oral contraceptives, antidepressants (both atypical and typical), antipsychotics, thyroid medications, diabetic medications, parkinsons medications, nasal decongestants, and some blood pressure and heart medications.

Other medications can alter other factors that while not directly affecting calorie use, can change storage habits. Some medications will cause increased or decreased glucose storage. Some move electrolytes and fluids into different locations, causing an increase/decrease in fluid weight. Heck if you take HCTZ you lose a bunch of fluid weight due to its diuretic effects. Just the same, theres plenty of drugs that cause fluid retention. Some medications also will increase appetite, which often times cause people to gain weight. While that weight gain is due to them eating more food, some drugs have reported increased appetite, leading to increased weight gain, therefore are considered to be related to weight gain.

In terms of supporting evidence, it really depends on the actual drug you are talking about, but pretty much the best source for anything is the National Library of Medicine. Here are some quick links I found, related to a few different drugs

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0003573/ - Good overview summary article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11681765 - Abstract related to weight gain in different antipsychotics

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16234878 - Abstract related to weight gain in general. Not on my work computer ATM so I couldnt access the full article.

Im not certain what you meant by the first portion of your comment, but I think its just that I meant to type weight gain instead of weight loss, simple typo.

In terms of medication recommendations, it is something that I have a degree and a license in. Its also a recommendation. A) These are prescription medications, and without a prescription from her doctor, there is no way for her to get these medications. B) Its a recommendation. Of course without seeing her lab values, PMH, SH, FH, etc, there is no way to know for certain. Thats why I was offering to recommend an alternative, that may have decreased weight gain effects, but either a similar or comparable MOA. Thats what my job is as a Pharamcist. I can make a recommendation, and through her talking to her doctor, she possibly could make a switch. There is a reason that we are called 'drug experts'; because we are drug experts

Pharmacy students are now experts?

If you are tracking your calories in and out you can make adjustments to what the medications might slightly alter and still be successful at losing weight. As the OP has tried to claim she did not gain weight because of medications while eating 1 apple every 2 or 3 days.

I lost the majority of my weight while on high doses of steroids and 13 other prescriptions. It took paying close attention to my numbers and making adjustments.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member

Pharmacy students are now experts?

If you are tracking your calories in and out you can make adjustments to what the medications might slightly alter and still be successful at losing weight. As the OP has tried to claim she did not gain weight because of medications while eating 1 apple every 2 or 3 days.

I lost the majority of my weight while on high doses of steroids and 13 other prescriptions. It took paying close attention to my numbers and making adjustments.

Obviously its not impossible to lose weight while on 'weight gaining' medications, on the contrary, its very possible! However, the simple point is, some medications do make you gain weight. You may not see as fast of weight loss while on these medications, as compared to when you are not
  • Hily93
    Hily93 Posts: 65 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

How tall are you, how old are you and how much did you weigh when you gained eating under 2000 a day?

I would definitely gain at 1800 or 1900 calories a day. I did when I was not medicated. My maintenance right now at 199 lbs. is a little over 1900.

I'm 1,65m tall and could eat everything from one Apple a day to maybe one meal. There was days I didn't even remember to eat and realized from being extremely weak the other day and would eat something small in the evening.
    I am much better now and follow a diet, I am also aware of the fact that my meds might make me gain weight and am trying to lose it. It will just be a it slower but it's worth the effort :smiley: