Beating my head into a wall... what is going on!

Options
2»

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You weigh 164 at 5'9 so you don't have much to lose, so it will be slow. I'd weigh yourself in another couple of weeks and see. When I lose weight (as I've had to do after all my children) I find weight loss is really slow in the beginning and then all of a sudden several pounds seem to come off at once.

Have you taken measurements? You may have lost a couple of cm off your waist for example that won't necessarily show on the scale yet.
  • rosejyoti55
    rosejyoti55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Check your thyroid and metabolic age - you don't have to track them, but a slow thyroid or metabolism can make a huge (negative) impact.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary, you do not appear to be weighing food. Looking at yesterday for instance:

Broccoli - Broccoli, Steamed, 1 cup
    Country Crock Butter - - Light, 1 Tbsp (14 g) (unless you specifically weighed out 14g).
    Heritage Farm - Chicken Breasts, 6.4 oz -- is this raw or cooked weight? This entry does not specify, so you could be eating more than you think if the entry doesn't align with the state you weighed it in.
    Kroger Boil-in-bag - Brown Rice, 1 Cup, prepared
    Kjb - Asparagus, 12 Medium Spear
    Country Crock Butter - - Light, 2 Tbsp (14 g)
    Boboli - Pizza Sauce, 1/2 Pouch (71g/1/4Cup)
    Kroger - 94% Fat Free Popcorn (Popped), 7.5 cups popped

You said you haven't been losing. So unless you are actually weighing all of these entries (if so, why not use entries that actually allow you to use weighted serving sizes? Or create your own food entries that allow you to do so) and are just retaining water from starting your routine after a long break/changing your routine, then you are simply eating more than you realize.

As for HIIT, regardless of your max heart rate HIIT should still be under 30 minutes a session. Most people who actually do HIIT will agree with this, and have agreed with this in other posts in which OPs post about doing HIIT like 4-5x a week or doing it for an hour or following it up with more cardio etc.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    +1 for weighing instead of using measuring cups - they are only supposed to be used for liquids and are inaccurate at doing that!

That said, if you've weighed accurately and measured exercise accurately the most likely logical conclusion is that the TDEE calculator was off.

There are a number of equations that calculate TDEE but they are all based on aggregated data of a number of people, ie they are usually a good indication but individual results may vary. The only way to precisely know your personal TDEE is to measure it.

Decrease your calorie limit a tad and see what happens. Rinse and repeat, and if you're still not losing in a couple of months go to the doctor and fork out the money for blood tests.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    bingfit221 wrote: »
    Yes @psulemon‌ I apologize major typo. Was 148 at 16-17% BF

OK.. would you like me to correct your OP or do you want to yell at me again, lol.. jk

Lol sorry. I am an idiot. Ugh.

No worries, I updated your original post. BTW, can you look at my last question I had about the bloodwork?

Haven't had blood work done. $800 bucks argh. I guess it could have something to do with my leptin levels etc..

I understand. You could try to lower carbs and increase fats if that helps. But I do like the idea of eating at maintenance or slightly above to see if that helps. I am always a big fan of diet breaks a few times a year. I do it 2x a year myself..
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Based on your diary, you do not appear to be weighing food. Looking at yesterday for instance:

Broccoli - Broccoli, Steamed, 1 cup
    Country Crock Butter - - Light, 1 Tbsp (14 g) (unless you specifically weighed out 14g).
    Heritage Farm - Chicken Breasts, 6.4 oz -- is this raw or cooked weight? This entry does not specify, so you could be eating more than you think if the entry doesn't align with the state you weighed it in.
    Kroger Boil-in-bag - Brown Rice, 1 Cup, prepared
    Kjb - Asparagus, 12 Medium Spear
    Country Crock Butter - - Light, 2 Tbsp (14 g)
    Boboli - Pizza Sauce, 1/2 Pouch (71g/1/4Cup)
    Kroger - 94% Fat Free Popcorn (Popped), 7.5 cups popped

You said you haven't been losing. So unless you are actually weighing all of these entries (if so, why not use entries that actually allow you to use weighted serving sizes? Or create your own food entries that allow you to do so) and are just retaining water from starting your routine after a long break/changing your routine, then you are simply eating more than you realize.

As for HIIT, regardless of your max heart rate HIIT should still be under 30 minutes a session. Most people who actually do HIIT will agree with this, and have agreed with this in other posts in which OPs post about doing HIIT like 4-5x a week or doing it for an hour or following it up with more cardio etc.

Everything with weight, yes. Broccoli no. BUT if my broccoli is off, 35 calories isn't going to be a substantial difference. Asparagus is counted and again, if it is off will not be a substantial. When in doubt, I over estimate. Butter is weight. Breasts are weighed before because they actually lose weight (again another overestimate). Better to overestimate then to under estimate. Rice weighs 7 oz per cup (I weigh this).

Although I upped my calories yesterday, and saw a lb difference this morning DOWN which is the right direction.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree about the HIIT comment. Heck I can't even last 30 minutes some days because I go all out, which is what you're supposed to do anyway. And legs the same day? Never in my dreams, lol!
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I agree about the HIIT comment. Heck I can't even last 30 minutes some days because I go all out, which is what you're supposed to do anyway. And legs the same day? Never in my dreams, lol!

Well whatever it was, it entailed running on a treadmill 15x at 1 min each at a 10-10.5mph with a heart rate of 186. Haha. It was death but it's mind overmatter. Yes, my legs were tired but screw it. Push through. Drink some preworkout, get that caffeine, and let's get it. :-)

What Is High Intensity Interval Training?
    The concept of High Intensity Interval Training is fairly simple. To do HIIT, you warm-up, and then you do an intense burst of cardio, followed by a full recovery period.

For example, a HIIT workout on a bicycle might involve getting on a bicycle, warming up for 5 minutes, and then performing 6 to 8 30-second efforts as hard as you can possibly go, followed by a very easy 90 seconds of pedaling between each 30-second effort. Once you’ve completed each of the hard efforts, you’re done!

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/how-to-do-high-intensity-interval-training?page=all#sthash.oWlVfcfr.dpuf

I guess everyone has different definitions.

• DawnieB1977
    Options
    I suppose it depends what exercise you're doing for HIIT. If I do it on the treadmill, I'd be ok to do something after. If I did half hour on the rower I'd probably collapse after! It also depends how long your recovery period is, and how long the intense bit is. I was doing 2 mins running, 1 min recovery and repeat the other day. Only 4 times, but that was hard.

I usually do some HIIT in my PT sessions, but not as long as 30 mins as it would take up too much of the session. We do some tabata stuff too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes @psulemon‌ I apologize major typo. Was 148 at 16-17% BF

OK.. would you like me to correct your OP or do you want to yell at me again, lol.. jk

Lol sorry. I am an idiot. Ugh.

No worries, I updated your original post. BTW, can you look at my last question I had about the bloodwork?

Haven't had blood work done. $800 bucks argh. I guess it could have something to do with my leptin levels etc..

I understand. You could try to lower carbs and increase fats if that helps. But I do like the idea of eating at maintenance or slightly above to see if that helps. I am always a big fan of diet breaks a few times a year. I do it 2x a year myself..

Guess it wouldn't hurt to try!!! Haha.

Thanks for correcting my OP :-)

What would you suggest for adjusting macros for carb and fat? Did you see my post how I am 40 carb 35 protein and 25 fat?

I would slowly drop carbs 5% every 2 weeks until you hit, 25% carbs, 35% protein and 40% fat.. essentially, just switching them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What would be the issue if the OP does HIIT for 60 minutes? Pending she is recovering from her workouts, I do see it as an issue.

• bingfit221
    Options
    I suppose it depends what exercise you're doing for HIIT. If I do it on the treadmill, I'd be ok to do something after. If I did half hour on the rower I'd probably collapse after! It also depends how long your recovery period is, and how long the intense bit is. I was doing 2 mins running, 1 min recovery and repeat the other day. Only 4 times, but that was hard.

I usually do some HIIT in my PT sessions, but not as long as 30 mins as it would take up too much of the session. We do some tabata stuff too.

^^ THIS!

I do tabata style too with my clients and not as long as 30 minutes unless it is one of my people who meet me 5 days a week because they are loaded ugh. I wish I could pay for a personal trainer 5 days a week haha.

If I do it in the treadmill I am fine too. I have been running for 10 years so that's probably why. Rowing? I'd be dead too. Haha. I do intense 5k every Sunday as fast as I can possibly go then trying to do the rest of my workout is a struggle ughhh but it gets done.
  • bingfit221
    Options

What would be the issue if the OP does HIIT for 60 minutes? Pending she is recovering from her workouts, I do see it as an issue.

Confused by this. You see HIIT for 60 minutes as an issue if I am not recovering or it is an issue even if I am recovering? Sorry... wording threw me off a bit.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably water weight, but also you are already very lean so it's just plain going to be hard to get leaner and maintain that.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

^^ THIS!

I do tabata style too with my clients and not as long as 30 minutes unless it is one of my people who meet me 5 days a week because they are loaded ugh. I wish I could pay for a personal trainer 5 days a week haha.

If I do it in the treadmill I am fine too. I have been running for 10 years so that's probably why. Rowing? I'd be dead too. Haha. I do intense 5k every Sunday as fast as I can possibly go then trying to do the rest of my workout is a struggle ughhh but it gets done.

Yeah, me too, I'd love to do PT every day! I do it twice most weeks, but it's not too bad, about £20 ($35 roughly) an hour.

My gym is starting a new class called Armageddon, which is kind of like HIIT/circuits, and that's for 45 mins.