Starving on 1200 calories a day

Options
Hi everyone. So I'm hoping to find out from you guys how hungry you are at 1.5 lb per week setting. I'm hoping to go from 160 to 125 but sticking to 1200 Cals feels brutal! I've tried upping my veggies and protein and cutting back on running (I ran a full marathon in November). I just don't know how you guys survive on this for months!

Replies

• maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you are doing so much running are you eating back all of your exercise calories? That might have something to do with it?
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Figure out how many calories you really need to be eating to maintain your level of exercise (and still lose weight). I'm steadily losing about 1 lb/week at 1773/day at light activity level (1-3 days of light sports/exercise per week). I'd rather do it slower and not feel tortured because I love food and I can't sustain a lifestyle that doesn't allow me to eat it.
  • blissgage
    blissgage Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I try to get some really good fat in my diet - avocado and olive oil. I don't feel hungry.
  • Jessicaisfree
    Jessicaisfree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been actually eating around 1400-ish but still feel hungry :( Is it normal to be hungry when you're losing? Kind of a stupid question, but I've heard that if you're hungry you're doing something wrong? Thanks for your feedback!
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry frequently can release stress hormones, which can make it even more difficult to lose weight. I would really make sure you are getting enough naturally derived fats in your diet (ie butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc...). Fat is an essential nutrient, which also gives you slow burning fuel. It will leave you feeling fuller longer.
  • Jessicaisfree
    Options
    zoodocgirl wrote: »
    Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Figure out how many calories you really need to be eating to maintain your level of exercise (and still lose weight). I'm steadily losing about 1 lb/week at 1773/day at light activity level (1-3 days of light sports/exercise per week). I'd rather do it slower and not feel tortured because I love food and I can't sustain a lifestyle that doesn't allow me to eat it.

• Jessicaisfree
    Options
    I think you're right. 1 pound per week is a good amount to lose. Maybe I'll take the slow(er) and steady approach. Appreciate it!
  • blissgage
    Options
    Make sure you are getting good food in you too. 1200 of processed foods will make you hungry. Make overnight oats with greek yogurt and chia seeds with cherries. It is amazing and I don't get hungry. I think seeing a dietitian could help, especially if you run alot.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and 152 lbs (started at 165) and a runner (my first half marathon was Nov. 29th) and I'm losing about a pound a week on 1700 calories, eating back all of the calories I burn running. Not even making much of an effort to eat clean. My taste buds are always hungry, but I wouldn't say I'm ever starving.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would also say that you should adjust your goal to 1 pound per week. What's it worth if you're so hungry you can't stick with it?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I kind of expect to be MILDLY hungry when I'm losing, and totally satisfied at maintenance.

That said, I think the 1 pound per week goal is probably more doable for you. I started at 145, put 125 as my goal, and at 1 pound per week I get about 1400 calories a day...and I HATE cardio, so I'm not burning off what you do as a runner. I've pretty much lost at the rate I set, slowing down now that I'm less than 10 pounds from goal...

I think one of the biggest self-sabotages that happens here is that people set the rate of loss too high because they want big immediate results...and then they are SO hungry and unhappy that they give up. Better to pick a slower rate of loss that you can actually achieve!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on torturing themselves? (Rhetorical question, I know.)

Look, I get that it's hard to be patient. But you didn't gain those 45 pounds overnight. They're gonna take some time to lose.

Slow and steady is a good thing. You're trying to change your lifestyle and it needs to be something you can sustain indefinitely.

So what if it takes a little longer? It won't feel so long when you're not hungry all the time. It'll just feel like your normal amount of food and normal daily routine, which is what you want.

And don't cut back on the running if it's something you love. Just make sure you eat enough calories to fuel it!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been actually eating around 1400-ish but still feel hungry :( Is it normal to be hungry when you're losing? Kind of a stupid question, but I've heard that if you're hungry you're doing something wrong? Thanks for your feedback!

I've done OMAD (one-meal-a-day) with around 1,200 calories to 1,650 cals per day. Took ten months to drop 173 lbs. Yes, the hunger will be there. Do not listen to any clown who tells you you won't be hungry. In time, you will adapt, though. Drop back on the exercise and your stress levels will drop, or else up the calories a bit. Otherwise, you'll release cortisol and will feel miserable.
  • Hapster22
    Hapster22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So I'm hoping to find out from you guys how hungry you are at 1.5 lb per week setting. I'm hoping to go from 160 to 125 but sticking to 1200 Cals feels brutal! I've tried upping my veggies and protein and cutting back on running (I ran a full marathon in November). I just don't know how you guys survive on this for months!

Yeah, make sure you're drinking a shitload of water and when you're sick of all that water, drink some more.... also make sure you're eating SOMETHING every 2-3 hours and not waiting longer than that between meals. Keeping your blood sugar steady throughout the day helps with the hunger in my experience.... I've been eating less than 1,200 a day or right AT 1,200.....

Hap (hapster22)

• blissgage
    Options
    You are calling me a clown? I eat 1200 a day and I am not hungry. Meany.
  • Jessicaisfree
    Options
    Blissgage are you quite small? Maybe once the weight is gone 1200 will be satisfying?
  • blissgage
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and around 160 and I am losing about 1-2 lbs a week.
  • Jessicaisfree
    Options
    Great articles and info everyone. So I think what I'm hearing is moderate calories, moderate exercise, and a shitload of water! Done!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Don't cut back on your exercise just so you can restrict your eating more...I mean, cut back if you aren't wanting to stay marathon ready, or if your knees hurt, or if you just want a break. But, don't give up something healthy that you love just so you can starve!