1100 a day, should I eat less

Options

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I might mention I'm a serous ballet dancer and I have no option

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I think it's time to find a new dance studio.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

Who is forcing you to lose weight? And how old are you?

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Deficiency in essential vitamins
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

I will talk to the nutritionist they provide

I'm a qualified nutritionist.

If you want to continue putting yourself at risk then it's up to you to sort out your priorities. You have the facts in front of you, continuing in this manner will put your long term health at risk, and your dancing will certainly suffer. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHY BODY & a healthy relationship with food then we on the forums can help you, but if you really want to continue ignoring the risks, then we will keep reminding you of them.

Bottom line, what you're doing is bad for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hello. I'm 5 ft 4 inches and weight 109 lbs. I am eating almost exactly 1,100 calories a day and I dance for at least 2hours everyday but Sunday. I need to be at least 103 lbs or less in a month and right now I'm not losing anything. Should I eat less? I my have to.

Consider CAREFULLY what you're doing. Good luck.

ps: your username frightens me, for you.
  • bigdancer2000
    bigdancer2000 Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Please get help. I danced growing up and I quit in middle school because of this disturbing mentality of many of the people I worked with (and I wasn't even that serious of a dancer!). And some of the problems I had with food are still with me even in my 20's (which I attribute to my years of being "encouraged" to lose weight).
    Eating less than 1200 calories a day puts your body into starvation mode. Your body starts grabbing on to each and every calorie it possibly can. You will become malnourished, your body will become weak, and I promise your dancing will actually suffer because your body will start breaking down muscle to compensate.
    And since you dance so often, you should actually be consuming more calories to make up for what your body is burning with so much activity.

Please seek help.
    And don't let people destroy you, even if you think they know what's best.

This touched me, because you said you were a dancer so you could understand the pressure. I will try to seek help from friends and a nutritionist.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if you're that height and weight currently, and knowing you're a dancer and probably fairly lean, you're not likely to be able to drop 6 pounds in a month unless you lose some serious water weight and that's it. so you might want to look into some techniques for dropping water weight - wrestlers and other athletes are quite skilled at manipulating the scale before events and you can find a ton of information about how to do that in other places on the internet if you're that desperate. that's probably the closest thing to 'safe' you can do. otherwise you don't have enough body fat to lose in a month.

in terms of eating fewer calories, you're going to make yourself sick and you know it. what's the point of being accepted to the school you've been accepted to if you can't hack it because you're too weak? just think about this some before you do anything stupid.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is your goal to be underweight? No one should give you advice on how to do this.

Weight standards for normal people is different than for ballet dancers. This is not considered underweight for ballerinas
    It's considered underweight for humans and ballerinas are humans.

Agreed.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    I respect your feedback. In my own little world of ballet, my view in this discussion was totally normal. I was curious if I was doing something wrong & apparently I am. I will try to seek resources for help.
  • LexaLefay
    Options
    Ugh this makes me sick to see adults telling young girls, who are obviously trying to do their best to make it to the top, to do something that is obviously not healthy. Dancer or no, health is health.

I'm not sure why you came here when you just wanted people to validate the bad decision you've already made in your mind. I'm certain you know that 103 is not a good weight for someone your height and 1100 calories is way too few for someone doing that much physical exercise. I really hope you get some help (and not from the nutritionist who is being PAID BY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO GET YOU TO A DANGEROUS WEIGHT, it seems a little suspicious to me), but nobody here can make the decision for you.

Please take care of yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I respect your feedback. In my own little world of ballet, my view in this discussion was totally normal. I was curious if I was doing something wrong & apparently I am. I will try to seek resources for help.

Please please do: and always in your life consider if the folks making decisions are doing what's best for YOU for for THEM....
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    if you're that height and weight currently, and knowing you're a dancer and probably fairly lean, you're not likely to be able to drop 6 pounds in a month unless you lose some serious water weight and that's it. so you might want to look into some techniques for dropping water weight - wrestlers and other athletes are quite skilled at manipulating the scale before events and you can find a ton of information about how to do that in other places on the internet if you're that desperate. that's probably the closest thing to 'safe' you can do. otherwise you don't have enough body fat to lose in a month.

in terms of eating fewer calories, you're going to make yourself sick and you know it. what's the point of being accepted to the school you've been accepted to if you can't hack it because you're too weak? just think about this some before you do anything stupid.

I will consider losing water weight right before my evaluation. My concern is dehydration
  • bigdancer2000
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

If you want to continue putting yourself at risk then it's up to you to sort out your priorities. You have the facts in front of you, continuing in this manner will put your long term health at risk, and your dancing will certainly suffer. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHY BODY & a healthy relationship with food then we on the forums can help you, but if you really want to continue ignoring the risks, then we will keep reminding you of them.

It is comforting to know you are a nutritionist. Maybe you could help get me on the right track since I'm clearly lost.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

I will consider losing water weight right before my evaluation. My concern is dehydration

Swapping out 'bloater' or retaining foods like things high in fibre can cause you to let some water go without any risk of dehydration.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader for over 10 years. I'll tell you that the pressure to be thin in the world of gymnastics is worse than it is for dancers. I never had the thoughts you have. Not once. Your view is NOT normal. It is dangerous and it can lead to a full-blown eating disorder.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Do they actually weigh you? I was never weighed when I was training with a ballet company, and they never said anything about my weight. In fact, I saw one of my old teachers last year and she commented on how thin I was (5'3" and 111lb last year).
    You really shouldn't be trying to lose weight. Misty Copeland talks about this a lot, how she had to overcome a lot of body shaming. I don't know that they actually told her to lose weight, they mostly told her she needed to "lengthen" but you get the idea. Look where she is now.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

It is comforting to know you are a nutritionist. Maybe you could help get me on the right track since I'm clearly lost.

Based on your weight, height, and activity level, you should be eating approximately 1954 calories a day.

Info found at iifym.com
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

Swapping out 'bloater' or retaining foods like things high in fibre can cause you to let some water go without any risk of dehydration.

Will fiber one bars help bloating? Because I am aware that I bloat a lot and that could contribute to my messed up view.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber might actually make you bloat?
  • bigdancer2000
    edited January 2015
    Options

I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader for over 10 years. I'll tell you that the pressure to be thin in the world of gymnastics is worse than it is for dancers. I never had the thoughts you have. Not once. Your view is NOT normal. It is dangerous and it can lead to a full-blown eating disorder.

Yes. I have multiple friends who are competitive gymnast and we discuss is type of stuff all the time. Ballet is a a lot more strict than other forms of dance concerning body type.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

Well right from the off I would strongly suggest confronting anyone who tells you or implied that you need to lose weight. You are clearly passionate about ballet, having got into a good academy & you want to ensure you're at your absolute healthiest - the best way to ensure that is to maintain energy, by eating way closer or over 2000kcal depending on your activity levels. I would also suggest not seeing their nutritionist, but to speak to your GP, and ask if they could refer you to a dietician or nutritionist - this will remove any possible bias on the academy's behalf.

The most important thing to maintain is your own health, it will ensure you have a long term career in dance.
  • bigdancer2000
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do they actually weigh you? I was never weighed when I was training with a ballet company, and they never said anything about my weight. In fact, I saw one of my old teachers last year and she commented on how thin I was (5'3" and 111lb last year).
    You really shouldn't be trying to lose weight. Misty Copeland talks about this a lot, how she had to overcome a lot of body shaming. I don't know that they actually told her to lose weight, they mostly told her she needed to "lengthen" but you get the idea. Look where she is now.

I actually met Misty Copeland this summer when training at ABT. I hear the worlds "LENGTHEN" all the time!
This discussion has been closed.