Protein Powder: Worth the Calories or Not Worth the Hype

Options
MoHousdon
MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
I need to get some more protein in my diet to help build lean muscle. I have seen a lot of diaries with protein powder, but I'm VERY leery about buying a canister and not liking it. Does anyone have suggestions on kinds/brands they've tried and are totally worth the calories and hype.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I personally feel protein powders are highly overrated and rarely needed, "About Time" makes a good one that many people i know add to their smoothies.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements can be good when appropriately used.

Optimum Nutrition is basically the standard.
    Cellucor isn't bad either.

I'd be wary of the fluffy ones that are really anything other than protein. For example, the hippy herpy derpy goatein that's all 300+ calories for 50g of protein. A decent protein will be closer to 250-260 for 50g of protein.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I need to get some more protein in my diet to help build lean muscle. I have seen a lot of diaries with protein powder, but I'm VERY leery about buying a canister and not liking it. Does anyone have suggestions on kinds/brands they've tried and are totally worth the calories and hype.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I use muscletech vanilla. It is available at Sam's club for $30 (5 lb bag) and is only 140 cals but is only 20g of protein.
  • travie__b
    travie__b Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have Pure Protein - Whey Protein Frosty Chocolate that I make a smoothie with in the morning. It's delicious.

I also tried another brand that I can't remember the name of, and it was strawberry; so, so gross lol.
  • dmoisson
    dmoisson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk costs more but I have been pleasantly pleased with the results. It tastes great and I use it to make smoothies.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I personally dont use protein powder BUT my brother is very into lifting and building muscle and he drinks a lot of protein shakes using protein powder (he drinks 1-2 a day usually i think) He likes Combat protein powder. he has a huge container of it. i would just try it and see if you like it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    bodynutrition.com
    They let you buy samples to try. Red Velvet Cake is awesome.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I can get more protein...don't care for all that meat!!! ha
  • lunastardust777
    Options
    i like muscle milk :)
  • krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have used a few different ones. I choose the vanilla flavor and blend it with fruit to make a smoothie.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A lot of companies do sample packs of single servings so you can see if you like a particular flavour without having pounds of it that you can't stand.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I personally do enjoy protein powder. I add it to morning smoothies for breakfast which keeps me full all morning. To me though, the big difference is how I feel post run. I get really really tired achy legs after running that can last a couple of days sometimes but if I down a protein shake after a run I feel great the next day. I would suggest a whey protein and not soy (some weird claims some scientists have about soy and estrogen issues that just don't seem worth the risk to me). I think vanilla is always a safe flavour cuz you can mask it with some fruit if you don't love it ;) I use Kaizen cuz its all natural and cheap at my grocery store. (I've also made some pretty good protein powder cookies when I just "need" to have something sweet lol)
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use MyProtein impact whey powder in the salted caramel flavour, which is so delicious I sometimes do extra workouts simply to justify having another shake :blush:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cvs (well mine anyway) has packets. they have a cookies and cream one that is really good.some stores will sell packets(single use) so look in stores and see if they sell them. you can try it that way too. I know walgreens and gnc sometimes have packets
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think they are worth it for sure. Just watch the sugar...some like Muscle Milk have so much!
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress here. It's got 30 g of protein per scoop at 170 calories each.. I thnk the chocolate banana smooties I make with it is around 500 calories total (greek yogut, banana, milk, cocoa power, and protein powder). It keeps me full thoughout the morning so I don't gorge myself the rest of the day.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    New Whey protein shots are decent. 180 cal for 42g of whey protein. It is only a couple ounces of liquid so even though it taste like fruity death it is easy to take and my go to protein.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    travie__b wrote: »
    I have Pure Protein - Whey Protein Frosty Chocolate that I make a smoothie with in the morning. It's delicious.

I also tried another brand that I can't remember the name of, and it was strawberry; so, so gross lol.

Pure Protein vanilla here too. I use it in a variety of things from overnight oatmeal to mixing with a small amount of almond milk to make "icing" on baked sweet potato or baked apples (along with allspice or pumpkin pie spice). On nights I teach right after work I have a shake to hold me over until dinner since I don't get home until 8:30 pm. Their chocolate doesn't seem to dissolve as well, but it's pretty inexpensive so can't complain. We make some ONS Performance in my plant, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've used it before and it really helps how you feel after a work-out. Just bought another container of it and am excited to start trying it again. We've always had the chocolate flavored kind and added it to milk.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I like Designer Whey's French Vanilla. I put a scoop into 340g of Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup milk, and a some fruit (banana, strawberry, mango.. whatever I have available).

This is a typical breakfast smoothie for me...
    kUkEFgT.png

Designer Whey (French Vanilla) Nutrition Info
    FV_NUT.jpg