Protein Powder: Worth the Calories or Not Worth the Hype

Options

Replies

• johhunt47
    johhunt47 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been using either Optimum Nutrition or GNC Wheybolic Amplified powders...93 Cal, 1g Sugar, 2g Carbs, 0g Fat...mixed with 1% milk and 1/4 cup greek yogurt...tastes great. Occasionally throw in some fruit. Worth the money if you do it right...avoid grocery store protein...tastes terrible and full of sugar. Would check out GNC.com or supplement warehouse.com...used both and pretty comparable on price.

Whether or not its beneficial to you is how you use it...I always consume protein immediately (15-30 minutes) after a workout or after waking up.

Another good tip...eat some protein (glass of milk, cottage cheese) right before going to bed. Helps keep body from tearing down muscles while sleeping.

Hope this helps.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Level 1 - best tasting protein and from what I have read, seen, researched, good quality. I love it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I use alternate between Sunwarrior and Vega brands. Both are vegan protein powders since I can't tolerate whey. I use it in my morning smoothies when I want a nutritious and filling breakfast on the go. If you can tolerate whey, then those ones are usually much cheaper...
  • teecee60
    teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended NOW Products Plant Protein Complex which I did go ahead and buy. He said I should drink it within 30-40 minutes of a workout. I got it in creamy vanilla and I absolutely love it. I mix one scoop with 1 C almond milk, 1 Tbsp almond butter, fruit (banana is my fav) and crushed ice then blend it in a blender. I look forward to it and to me it almost tastes like desert.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like it on the days I just don't want to eat another piece of chicken or another bowl of Greek yogurt, or whatever. I like EAS, Pure Protein, or Body Fortress (basically, whatever is moderately priced and available at Walmart, I'm not picky). Calorie vs. protein ratio, they're all more or less similar to a comparable meat, Greek yogurt, or veggie meat substitute portion.

I just consider it what it is--an alternate protein source for when I don't have time or am away from a kitchen or whatever.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When my doctor put me on a high protein diet, I found I can't meet the goal he set for me without protein powder help. I'm using GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It has 280 calories, 60g Protein and 7 Carbs. The vanilla tastes like graham crackers which is okay. I add fruit and vegetables too.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    krivedal wrote: »
    I have used a few different ones. I choose the vanilla flavor and blend it with fruit to make a smoothie.

I do the same - vanilla whey protein powder + berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) + banana or yogurt. It's very tasty and helps me get my protein levels up. I think the smoothies with protein have improved how I feel overall.

Currently, I use the Vitamin World brand. I look for sales and get it for $10 - $15 for 1 lb can. Right now they have a BOGO sale going on. Usually you can find a coupon for free shipping.

http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html#q=whey&start=7

• murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As with a few other's comments, I agree that muscle milk by far is reputably known as one of the best tasting...if not the best...of all protein powders. I used to drink the strawberry flavored muscle milk powder with some milk, strawberry flavored yogurt, and frozen strawberries...and it was better/equivalent to "strawberry dreamin'" offered at jamba juice.

If you are looking to increase your protein intake, then I would suggest that you try to focus on getting more protein via your diet (e.g., whole foods), and then supplement with protein powder to see how your body feels. You can buy a smaller container of muscle milk for about thirty dollars I think. If you don't like it, give it to a friend...

Good luck.
  • MizzMaldy
    MizzMaldy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just purchased Pure Protein from French Vanilla Sam's (thought I'd branch out and try a different brand). I am pretty pleased with it. The flavor is decent, 130 calories in exchange for 23g of protein.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW... see if you have a local lifting/bodybuilding shop that sells protein powders... ask if they have any sample packets for you to try. I get samples almost every time I buy from my local shop.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like Body Fortress. 1 scoop in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt is my typical "dessert" with lunch.
  • brettpedersen37
    brettpedersen37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, worth the calories, BUT there's a lot of BS that goes along with it, the whole 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein or whatever is stupid, you usually need like 20-25g within 30 minutes of a workout to help promote muscle regrowth and to improve your recovery. 20-25g of protein is 80-100 calories, and if you get it with a powder mix you'll probably look at maybe another 50ish calories for carbs. You also don't have to use a powder mix, you can have a glass of milk or make some eggs and bacon, you really just need the protein to help your muscles. Powders are just great for convenience.

They make a huge difference, speaking purely from my own experience, I recover and improve a lot faster after runs/weight routines since I've started having protein after my workouts.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use a vanilla flavoured whey isolate one that is low carb and has 21g of protein. I like the vanilla so I can use it in baking and also add other flavours to it for variety.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition 100% whey. I know another poster says it's not necessary. I think it depends... for me I would have to eat fish all day to get my protein in and be under my calorie goal without protein powder and Greek yogurt.

My recommendation is you get it in as small of a quantity as you can find and try it. That way if you don't like it it's not too hard on the budget. I get vanilla also because sometimes I mix it in smoothies and I add it to my morning oatmeal.

Also I've heard that some brands advertise more protein than they actually have. Maybe do a Google search on best protein powders on a budget.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    bodynutrition.com
    They let you buy samples to try. Red Velvet Cake is awesome.

@_dracarys_‌ I'm ALL about them samples! Thank you!

• MoHousdon
    Options
    I like Designer Whey's French Vanilla. I put a scoop into 340g of Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup milk, and a some fruit (banana, strawberry, mango.. whatever I have available).

This is a typical breakfast smoothie for me...
    kUkEFgT.png

Designer Whey (French Vanilla) Nutrition Info
    FV_NUT.jpg

@PrizePopple‌ that was extremely helpful and informative! Thank you very much! I may see if I can find a sample of that. :smiley:

• MoHousdon
    Options
    johhunt47 wrote: »
    I have been using either Optimum Nutrition or GNC Wheybolic Amplified powders...93 Cal, 1g Sugar, 2g Carbs, 0g Fat...mixed with 1% milk and 1/4 cup greek yogurt...tastes great. Occasionally throw in some fruit. Worth the money if you do it right...avoid grocery store protein...tastes terrible and full of sugar. Would check out GNC.com or supplement warehouse.com...used both and pretty comparable on price.

Whether or not its beneficial to you is how you use it...I always consume protein immediately (15-30 minutes) after a workout or after waking up.

Another good tip...eat some protein (glass of milk, cottage cheese) right before going to bed. Helps keep body from tearing down muscles while sleeping.

Hope this helps.

@johhunt47‌ that was helpful, thank you. Maybe I'll start making a protein shake to drink on my 30+ minute morning commute every day.

• MoHousdon
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    krivedal wrote: »
    I have used a few different ones. I choose the vanilla flavor and blend it with fruit to make a smoothie.

I do the same - vanilla whey protein powder + berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) + banana or yogurt. It's very tasty and helps me get my protein levels up. I think the smoothies with protein have improved how I feel overall.

Currently, I use the Vitamin World brand. I look for sales and get it for $10 - $15 for 1 lb can. Right now they have a BOGO sale going on. Usually you can find a coupon for free shipping.

http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html#q=whey&start=7

@socalkay‌ I love me a BOGO sale and I love coupons so I may have to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do About Time protein powder also. I add a scoop to my greek yogurt every morning for breakfast. Its 100 cals for 25g protein. No carbs. Easily fits into my calories. If I have to I will make a shake to make up any protein I need at the end of the day. They have sample packets you can buy. Thats how I tried it at first. http://tryabouttime.com/
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    angel7472 wrote: »
    I do About Time protein powder also. I add a scoop to my greek yogurt every morning for breakfast. Its 100 cals for 25g protein. No carbs. Easily fits into my calories. If I have to I will make a shake to make up any protein I need at the end of the day. They have sample packets you can buy. Thats how I tried it at first. http://tryabouttime.com/

@angel7472‌ thank you for your recommendation.