How often do you go to gym or exercise?

Options
I feel guilty for not going to gym everyday. I go 3 days a week and I do circuit training for about an hour with a training. The other 2 days of weekdays, I tell myself to do yoga but never get to it. On weekends I feel even more lazy.

I "try" my best to eat right. Since I'm not trying to lose a lot, I'm trying 1200 calories small meals through out the days. Of course I go over 1200 cals some days but my question would be is that okay to have only 3 days a week to workout?

It makes me feel extremely guilty when I hear my coworkers talk about going to gym everyday or run everyday, eating all healthy food while they are way slimmer than me.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 5 days a week minimum of varying degrees of intensity. Sometimes I fall short of that, sometimes I do more.

For health, the recommendation is 3 times a week for 30 min. That's the minimum amount associated with lowered health risk. So, yes, 3 days a week is fine.

Rasons to exercise more could be to burn more calories so you can eat more while losing/maintaining weight, to achieve a personal fitness goal, recommended by a medical professional (rehab, recovery), just because you like it, etc.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a gym in my life. I do it all on my own. 2 to 3 hours cardio a day. outside, even if it is minus 30.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    If you're not trying to lose a lot, why are you only eating 1200?

Anyway, go to the gym as much or as little as you like.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    5 days a week unless I'm sick (like I am currently).
  • Alison423
    Alison423 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should try yoga. I love it---depending on the instructor, it can be very relaxing, but a good workout just the same. You might find it a nice alternative to circuit training as it strengthens and stretches your muscles at the same time. Consider it a gift to yourself, not a chore.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6-7 days a week, but that is in no way required. I workout the way I do because of goals I've set and races I run.

Going 3-5 times a week is great. Most people don't even do that. Just keep doing you and don't listen to what they say. You are on your own life path while they are on theirs.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I try for 4 runs or gym sessions a week. I'd like to make an effort to walk more rather than drive too, but the days need to get longer for that.

If you're forcing yourself to go every day and you hate it, you could spoil what would be an otherwise enjoyable effort to get fitter/be healthy/improve whatever. I know I would probably put myself off long term if I did that.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I try for 4 runs or gym sessions a week. I'd like to make an effort to walk more rather than drive too, but the days need to get longer for that.

If you're forcing yourself to go every day and you hate it, you could spoil what would be an otherwise enjoyable effort to get fitter/be healthy/improve whatever. I know I would probably put myself off long term if I did that.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    No reason to feel guilty because of what your coworkers do. You have to do what works for you. I think 3 days a week is fine. It all comes down to a deficit in the end when it comes to losing weight. I don't think I could survive on 1200 calories a day myself though. Have you lost weight on your current plan?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    prisky780 wrote: »
    ... while they are way slimmer than me.

Everyone is different. There's so much comparing one person to another on MFP ... that's bound to be frustrating. I agree with the poster above who said consider the gym a gift to yourself. For me, it's the best part of my day - and not because I have a miserable life, lol! I love the me time. But my kids are older. When they were young, I couldn't find the energy for gym every day. Do what works best for you in your life and don't worry about everybody else! :)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I try for 5 or 6 days a week, 7 if I get anxious, or I just go outside and exercise. Sometimes if I'm sick I might only go like 3 times, but when I'm better, I'm raring to go.
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    4-6 days a week, depending on commitments, at least 4! Most weeks 5. Occasionally I will kill it with a 6 day workout week!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Having some actual fitness goals that go beyond just burning calories or whatever will really help you out here.

You don't have to workout every day...and really, rest days are highly beneficial and depending on what you're doing, may in fact be a necessity. I would also add that feeling "guilty" about not working out everyday is ridiculous.

Mapping out some fitness goals will help you determine how much time you should spend working out. As a matter of good health, the AHA recommends 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise or a combination of vigorous and moderate exercise. So basically if you're doing an hour 3x weekly, you're pretty much covered on that end. Beyond that, more specific goals would be in order.

I personally ride about 60-80 miles per week on average (more when I'm training) and lift 3x weekly for about an hour per session. I most certainly did not start out that way though.

I also take at least 1 rest day per week...often 2 to allow my body to recover and my fitness to improve.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I exercise daily because I love to. My exercise varies. Some days I push it at the gym. Others, I do weights at home. I always get a walk in because I have an 11 month old puppy so if I don't walk him, he's a pain in the *kitten*. :) But you have to fit what you can into your lifestyle and schedule. I do usually find that a 30 minute walk clears my mind and makes me feel better;not all days have to be all out, 100%. Just remember, talk yourself INTO exercise, not out of it. Meaning, if you are on the fence, just do it. You'll feel better for it.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    6 days. I allow myself a rest day once a week. Its not any set day--so if there's a day I'm feeling lazy, I don't have to go to the gym but I know in my mind, that's it, that's my rest day.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Usually 4-6 times weekly. So far this week 5x's.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    6x a week. 3 days for lifting, 3 days for 5k training. :)
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I've up-ed my calories before and realized I gained a lot more than losing. So this time I decided to down my calories to see if I lose weight. I'm not sure if I lost weight or kept it maintained. My weight seems to fluctuate. I'm at 104 lbs as of this morning. I was 106 lbs on Saturday. So it goes back and forth between 104-106 and it's been a month.

On top, I'm indian so whenever I got back home (which is almost every weekend) I eat my mother's cooking. It means lots of butter, spices, and sour cream, oil, and of course white rice. Those things add up so technically it's not really 1200 calorie everyday. But at least I know a number and see how far away I'm from that number and what it does to my body.

• hoping2succeed
    Options
    prisky780 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I've up-ed my calories before and realized I gained a lot more than losing. So this time I decided to down my calories to see if I lose weight. I'm not sure if I lost weight or kept it maintained. My weight seems to fluctuate. I'm at 104 lbs as of this morning. I was 106 lbs on Saturday. So it goes back and forth between 104-106 and it's been a month.

On top, I'm indian so whenever I got back home (which is almost every weekend) I eat my mother's cooking. It means lots of butter, spices, and sour cream, oil, and of course white rice. Those things add up so technically it's not really 1200 calorie everyday. But at least I know a number and see how far away I'm from that number and what it does to my body.

don't mean to be rude but are you a model??? 104 lbs? and your coworkers..
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel extremely guilty when I hear my coworkers talk about going to gym everyday or run everyday, eating all healthy food while they are way slimmer than me.

First rule of your health and fitness: worry about yourself-not about others.