Help! I am a sugar AND carb-aholic!!

Options

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    to the OP - there is no law that says you must eat salads :) Get a fasting glucose lab test done next time you see your primary care provider - sometimes folks with hypoglycemia experience more cravings. Carb cravings are also associated with depression (particularly seasonal affective disorder) and excessive alcohol use. Some sensible approaches to reducing cravings if there is not a contributing metabolic factor or medical problem include consuming carbodydrates that take longer to digest and/or consuming them in combination with protein and fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mwm158 wrote: »
    http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/what_we_do.aspx?id=263 seems to be a decent resource if you actually care about the science, and not the BS spewed by random internet people.

LOL random internet person complaining about random internet people....

oh the irony ..
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I know how bad it is but I am totally addicted to sugar and sweets! I try to only have one indulgence a day (3-6 squares of chocolate, etc) but whenever I have cravings that's the first place I go and the same with carbs. I literally gag by the end of my salads if I don't have a carb to go with it.... :(
    Has anyone had success cutting sugar and/or bad carbs from their life and what tips do you have?

Carbs and sugar are important,your body body runs on glucose.Just substitute chocolate,with non-dairy dark chocolate ,white sugar with brown or coconat sugar and eat more fruit and veggies.Restricting on fruit is restricting on life.Just cut the nasty dairy and meat from your diet and you are good to go and try to restrict gluten if you can (eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta).Belive me I am vegan for 3 months and I have never felt more positive and happy in my life ! :)

So because you are a vegan everyone has to be? Plus if she was addicted to carbs why are you suggesting more carbs .. yea that makes sense
  • ndj1979
    Options
    http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/what_we_do.aspx?id=263 seems to be a decent resource if you actually care about the science, and not the BS spewed by random internet people.

based on the logic in the first study on that site, I can be addicted to driving because it gives me pleasure....

• ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

based on the logic in the first study on that site, I can be addicted to driving because it gives me pleasure....

I'm addicted to my dog.

Wait.....hold on a second.

check yourself into rehab bro, ASAP!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm a sleep addict. Everyday I sleep
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a sleep addict. Everyday I sleep

Damn man.. you got it hard..
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    oh you guys/gals are so funny:) I wish there was a law to eat salads with proteins only:)!!! I know, it' s all about... controlling your mind and not giving in... I am trying but have to try harder. Maybe my issue is to eat breakfast at home or at least try to have/bring a healthy breakfast at work.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Wow, this whole thread is full of herp today.
    I'm addicted to tacos.
    <3
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I know how bad it is but I am totally addicted to sugar and sweets! I try to only have one indulgence a day (3-6 squares of chocolate, etc) but whenever I have cravings that's the first place I go and the same with carbs. I literally gag by the end of my salads if I don't have a carb to go with it.... :(
    Has anyone had success cutting sugar and/or bad carbs from their life and what tips do you have?

Carbs and sugar are important,your body body runs on glucose.Just substitute chocolate,with non-dairy dark chocolate ,white sugar with brown or coconat sugar and eat more fruit and veggies.Restricting on fruit is restricting on life.Just cut the nasty dairy and meat from your diet and you are good to go and try to restrict gluten if you can (eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta).Belive me I am vegan for 3 months and I have never felt more positive and happy in my life ! :)

You tell her to restrict gluten and the recommend whole wheat pasta??? :o

There's no need to avoid gluten unless you have celiac disease.

What's so nasty about dairy?

OP, make gradual changes. Are you using the site to log your intake? Start with looking at how much protein you consume. You should be consuming somewhere between around .75 and 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. That's 75 to 100 grams of protein. That's 300-400 calories. Next you'll want to look at your fat intake. For satiety, a nice ballpark is around 25-30% of your total calories. That leaves you with 40-45% of your calories for carbohydrates. The bulk of those should be fruit and veg. You can work a treat in there, but make it something you really enjoy. Time it after a meal so you're not starved.

I also find anything that you find daunting in life is helped by a simple visualization exercise. Right now, you're giving the foods you crave power. In your mind, visualize yourself standing next to the food, and the food is GIANT. It's dwarfing you. It's going to overcome you. Right now, that's what you're allowing it by saying that you're addicted.

Okay, in your visualization, slowly shrink that food down to its actual size and think about how you're bigger than it while you repeat to yourself the idea that you are in charge of your choices. Take back the power that you've given to the food.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Luv2Munch wrote: »
    Hi, as a suggestion for sweets try eating dried apricots instead of sugar. For carbs the best solution is to decrease slowly so if you are eating white bread, rice etc switch to brown, then whatever portions you are eating of the carbs regularly try decreasing by a quarter/half. in the case of rice you could eat less by adding low glycemic veggies etc. for the chocolate you can still eat it but try and buy it without added sugar [ie dark chocolate/chocolate for diabetics]etc. you might also want to try meeting with a dietitician or nutritionist who could also offer you advice. Whatever you do STAY STRONG and move forward one step at a time. Lasty if you do falter don't beat yourself up, as long as you try you have not failed. Good luck!
    So you're suggesting switching sugar with sugar. Got it. Everyone switch from white rice to brown rice.

Oh, and dried apricots too? They might have some unintended consequences. Don't switch them out and then binge on them. Just don't.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is a construct being studied by folks at Yale and others. It is not a proven phenomenon, but a theory to describe behavior patterns seen in some people. Trust me, it is not an accepted fact in the scientific community by any means. Much more research is needed and results are mixed, which is why people are able to post studies supporting both sides of the argument.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Food addiction is a real thing...

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-food-addiction

It feels good to eat sugar, fats, and salt because your brain will release dopamine in response to it...just like with cocaine and heroine.

I try to stay away from foods that will trigger a high response by the brain.

No it's not!!

While food addiction is an extremely controversial topic… In the medical community, food addiction is a real disorder.

Seems to be undecided at present, and not in the DSM. More significantly, though, if it is a thing--and I'm inclined to believe it is--it's NOT the same thing as "sugar addiction" or "cookie addiction," which is what these posts are always about.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Luv2Munch wrote: »
    Hi, as a suggestion for sweets try eating dried apricots instead of sugar. For carbs the best solution is to decrease slowly so if you are eating white bread, rice etc switch to brown, then whatever portions you are eating of the carbs regularly try decreasing by a quarter/half. in the case of rice you could eat less by adding low glycemic veggies etc. for the chocolate you can still eat it but try and buy it without added sugar [ie dark chocolate/chocolate for diabetics]etc. you might also want to try meeting with a dietitician or nutritionist who could also offer you advice. Whatever you do STAY STRONG and move forward one step at a time. Lasty if you do falter don't beat yourself up, as long as you try you have not failed. Good luck!
    So you're suggesting switching sugar with sugar. Got it. Everyone switch from white rice to brown rice.

Oh, and dried apricots too? They might have some unintended consequences. Don't switch them out and then binge on them. Just don't.

Yea I noticed the apricots too but was to lazy to type it I was busy eating tacos

Addict!

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgh6jwJHaL1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg
  • designerinbloom
    designerinbloom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So don't give up sugars and carbs. I didn't when I dieted in college and lost 30 pounds in a year. And I haven't given up carbs now and I've lost 5.5 pounds in 3 weeks. Make it fit into your calories and take up a high-intensity cardio exercise. Personally, I run. I just completed my first half marathon last week. Your body uses carbs for energy when you run, bike, or swim long distance. Not only have I not cut out carbs, it would be bad for my training regimen to do so!