VEGETABLE CALORIE HELP???

Options
ltbl1988
ltbl1988 Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
so vegetables are really good for you. And its like the one thing that you can eat as much as you want and not kill your body in the process....their generally very low in calories...except for avocados i found out!! So in your calculations do you put all the vegetables you eat too? i cant see veggies hindering weight loss?!! ive been putting everything i eat in the salad in my diary, but is veggies really worth calculating? input? advice? just curious

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It's about calories and not veggies. If you go over your calories maintenance level with veggies then you will gain weight. You have to reduce the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight in order to lose weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I include all of my fruits and veggies. But I'm also tracking macros and my micronutrients, so I'd be missing information if I skipped my veggies.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    It's about calories and not veggies. If you go over your calories maintenance level with veggies then you will gain weight. You have to reduce the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight in order to lose weight.
    Ding ding ding!

And yes, track every single thing that goes into your mouth.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Vegetables absolutely will hinder weight loss if you are eating a surplus of calories.
  • Kat_Winchester
    Options
    Yup, calories in calories out BUT you gotta remember, an entire head of romain lettuce only has 100 calories. In one salad I usualy only use 1/3 or a half of a head at the most. My point is, its really hard to go over with calories if your loading up on veggies ( with the exception of Avocado's and such)

I say load up on all the veggies you can eat, because of the fiber in them they will fill you up, AKA you wont have room for desert :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I track them, for the calorie count but mostly for the macros, specifically fibre. I could probably eat 100 lebanese cucumbers and still be under my tdee.
  • ltbl1988
    ltbl1988 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I log everything, including vegetables. However, with most vegetables (non-starchy non-avocado ones) I might allow myself to eyeball the portion rather than weighing them. But they still get logged. I typically eat maybe 60-70 calories in non-starchy veggies per day, plus another 100 or so in fruit, so that adds up.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ltbl1988 wrote: »
    so vegetables are really good for you. And its like the one thing that you can eat as much as you want and not kill your body in the process....their generally very low in calories...except for avocados i found out!! So in your calculations do you put all the vegetables you eat too? i cant see veggies hindering weight loss?!! ive been putting everything i eat in the salad in my diary, but is veggies really worth calculating? input? advice? just curious

Salads can be tough! I try to estimate the things I get in my work salads. The main calorific items are chunks of meat, boiled egg, any cheeses, and of course the dressing. I've thought about better accuracy on the salad calories and decided that my assortment of vegetables, extra colorful plate and abundance of micronutrients was more important than that. So I have a day where I've tried to break it down (try to over estimate a bit) and just copy it whenever I have the salad. The only thing I might do is buy my own mayonaise so I can add and weigh it at my desk

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I log them. While they generally aren't high in calories, some are a bit higher than others and everything adds up. Not to mention it's nice to see the fiber and look back at how many vegetables you've been consuming
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies to fill me up. I'm a bit slack logging leafy veg, but cauliflower, roots etc you'd probably want to log.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can definitely wipe out your calorie deficit, and thus stall your weight loss, and even gain, with vegetables. It wouldn't be easy, but it can be done.

On the other hand, I figure that with logging most veggies, it's OK to be in the ballpark. If I log 3 medium carrots (75 calories), and the carrots actually have 80 calories, I'm not too worried about the difference. I figure that, at best, my logging is only 90% accurate.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    ltbl1988 wrote: »

Avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable. It's full of healthy fats, and smooth, creamy texture, and lots of delicious flavor. Well worth making room in your calories.

But as far as the rest of the veggie world, definitely weigh and log your veggies. Starchy veggies like potatoes can pack a lot of calories. Sweet veggies like carrots and winter squash are fairly low in calories per serving, but if you eat a plateful, that's more than a serving. You can end up with an extra hundred or two of calories by the end of the day, and if you have a small deficit, you could wipe it out. If you add butter or oil to your veggies, or cheese, or any seasoning with extra calories, then you've compounded the problem and can end up overeating.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I do add everything including vegetables, though lately I have been estimating. The calories are so low for raw lettuce, cabbage, etc. that it probably doesn't make a huge difference. I definitely weigh avocado. I used to eat a whole avocado but now I am okay eating just part of one and saving the rest for later.

The one thing about veggies though, is how you prepare them, raw is best, or steamed for the least calories; if you're adding oil or butter as PP stated, your calories will add up. I do like roasting some vegetables in olive oil, but then you want to measure how much oil you use.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't think of this as logging foods that are bad for you or bad for weight loss. That's not a good way to think of food or this process. Think of it as trying to understand your diet, the calories you are eating, and the calories you need to eat to maintain. Further, it's a diary to see what things make you feel better and worse and what you are doing well and can improve. Given all that, include everything.

I love logging veggies, because I can see I'm getting an adequate number of servings and variety and it makes me feel like I understand my overall diet. I also like logging chocolate or whatever else I eat--it's knowledge.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want - veggies included. Just count the calories and have a deficit if you want to lose weight. BTW, avocados are a fruit.

20757594.png
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Log ALL your veggies.

Also, avocado is technically a fruit. Log your fruits too.

Just log everything. Calories are calories, regardless of whether you get them from fruits, veggies, meats or sweets. Log them all, track them all, stay under your goal and you'll do fine.
  • gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do log my veggies, even though most tend to be low in calories. Especially mine since I don't dip them in anything and eat them raw (maybe just boiled in plain water). I understand, they are low in calories so why log, but on the other hand, which I tend to look at it, is why NOT log them. The downside is only that it takes a bit more time.

Caution with fruit, it can be much higher in calories.

I log both but fruit to me is especially important.