Need a Recommendation for Protein Powder, Plz

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for a top-notch protein powder to go in my morning smoothies. I'm vegetarian and struggling with getting enough protein without also getting lots of carbs (have you seen how carb-heavy beans are?!?). It's been suggested that I should stay away from hemp (great complete protein source but the folks I talked with said the flavor in smoothies is a deal breaker). I'm concerned about purity issues (some of the sites on the internet report protein powders being pulled because of rat dropping, and even Consumer Reports did an article on heavy metals in protein powders), avoiding heat processing (I've read that it yields a lower quality product and may even leave residual chemicals behind)--and I need something with a decent enough taste (not chocolate) to be good in a fruit-based smoothie.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have (both "go get this one" and "stay away"!)

Thanks for your help!
Linda

Replies

• cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist just recommended Syntrax. i have the little grab n go packets. they are actually amazingly tasty too -- especially the fuzzy naval. i especially love them because they dissolve really easily and i hate grainy smoothies.

if you try it, i would love to know what you think.
  • LinnySquare
    LinnySquare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I really like the Amazing Meal line from Amazing Grass. The have a lot of different flavors and they taste fantastic. I just put a few ice cubes, a scoop of powder, and a cup of almond milk into my magic bullet and it's done in about 30 seconds.

The vanilla chai and cafe mocha are my favorites.

The only downside is that they are not at all sweet so you may have to make some additions if thats what you like.
  • alisha74801
    alisha74801 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm looking for a top-notch protein powder to go in my morning smoothies. I'm vegetarian and struggling with getting enough protein without also getting lots of carbs (have you seen how carb-heavy beans are?!?). It's been suggested that I should stay away from hemp (great complete protein source but the folks I talked with said the flavor in smoothies is a deal breaker). I'm concerned about purity issues (some of the sites on the internet report protein powders being pulled because of rat dropping, and even Consumer Reports did an article on heavy metals in protein powders), avoiding heat processing (I've read that it yields a lower quality product and may even leave residual chemicals behind)--and I need something with a decent enough taste (not chocolate) to be good in a fruit-based smoothie.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have (both "go get this one" and "stay away"!)

Thanks for your help!
    Linda
    Katus130 wrote: »
    I really like the Amazing Meal line from Amazing Grass. The have a lot of different flavors and they taste fantastic. I just put a few ice cubes, a scoop of powder, and a cup of almond milk into my magic bullet and it's done in about 30 seconds.

The vanilla chai and cafe mocha are my favorites.

The only downside is that they are not at all sweet so you may have to make some additions if thats what you like.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes a good quality protein powder. They are their own manufacturer (other companies use a 3rd party) and purity of product is better than others based on how they obtain their raw materials (other manufacturers get them from China which has no regulation on purity of raw materials, hence contamination issues with many manufactured products).
    I like 100% Gold Standard Whey by them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JanerichoC18
    JanerichoC18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I either go with whey tech pro 24 (Same company as Gold Standard Whey but it's vitamin shoppe specific and a little cheaper) or Dymatize ISO - 100.

With the whey tech pro 24 they have samples at vitamin shop, just 1 serving of each flavor. The banana creme was extremely good, as was the chocolate mint. I heard good things about the strawberry and mint but haven't tried it, I know my friends all told me the cookies and cream was terrible. Carbs and sugars are pretty low on both brands, and there are a fair amount of flavor options. The main advantage here is you get to try the smaller samples before being stuck with it for a month or two, which may be good as most brands are hit or miss especially with non chocolate flavors.

Dymatize ISO - 100 is good for both flavor and nutrition, they have a ton of flavors many seem fruit based. There are BCAAs in the powder as well, depending on the flavor I have seen either 0g or 1g for carbs, 0 sugar and only a little over 100 calories per serving which is nice.

I like Dymatize better but I haven't been disappointed with either one. This is just my experience I couldn't speak positive or negative for any other brand really.

Hope this helps!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I second Dymatize ISO-100. I have 3 tubs on top my fridge now.

Optimum Nutrition Gold is way to watery for me. Cellucor is also another great brand.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I like Trutein, for a whey protein (in the vanilla flavor, which tastes like creamy vanilla ice cream to me)

I just picked up a container of Orgain's Organic Plant-based protein (in a creamy fudge flavor) via Costco and I'm liking it so far. I've been wanting to get more veggie-based in my diet.
  • shena75
    shena75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Designer Whey Protein.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the stuff from true nutrition. Lots of good flavors (try Java Mocha) and good prices.
  • stephiehun7
    Options
    My husband and I buy Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. We currently have cookies and cream, which is yummy, but not very versatile. :) The chocolate is also really good.

It dissolves pretty easily with a little extra stirring.
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use Pefect Fit Protien Powder. It's amazing. And it's plant based.
  • Burnabychick2014
    Burnabychick2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use Manitoba Hemp PRO 50 (no flavour added). Per 4 Tbsp contains 15g Pro; 2.6 g Omega 3 & 6; 7g fibre. It is a bit gritty, but tasteless. In the morning, I add it to a bowl of fruit, quinoa, & flax. Breakfast is a little green in colour.... I am vegan & have tried flavoured options produced by both Vega and Manitoba Hemp - I didn't find them that tasty.
  • LinnySquare
    LinnySquare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • mommpartin
    Options
    I use Isagenix protein powder. Absolute best value I have found and I like the ingredients list. I use the whey protein but they do have a vegan option too!
  • hollypend
    hollypend Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options