Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm so obviously missing something here....
    Why not get one of those ninja juicer things that allow you to get the nutrients from the pulp??
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Krau wrote: »
    Taken from: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/what-do-i-do-with-leftover-juice-pulp/

"1. Blend pulp into a smoothie to add fiber.
    2. Add to a soup to thicken and boost fiber and nutrient density.
    3. Use fruit pulp to make frozen “pulpsicles” or fruit pulp ice.
    4. Make a veggie broth by boiling pulp with water, herbs, and spices, then straining.
    5. Make a “fruit tea” by boiling fruit pulp with water, adding spices such as cinnamon or ginger, cooling, and then straining.
    6. Use veggie pulp to add nutrient density to mac n’ cheese or pasta sauce, or layer into a lasagne.
    7. Make fabulous fruit leathers.
    9. Use in homemade veggie burgers or fritters. Pulp adds moisture, flavor, and nutrition.
    10. Mix pulp into baked goods like muffins, cakes, bread, dehydrated or baked cookies, and granola bars. Celery, onion, carrot, sweet potato, spinach, apple, and berry all work beautifully.
    11. Use fruit or veggie pulp to add flavor, texture, and moisture to pancakes.
    12. Make dehydrated pulp crackers.
    13. Use pulp for raw pizza crust.
    14. Make pulp marmalade.
    15. Make a pulp crumble by mixing pulp with fruit and juice, reducing, and then topping with oats, spices, nuts, or seeds.
    16. Dehydrate and make trail mix with raw nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
    17. Dehydrate and use like bread crumbs.
    18. Use in DIY skincare recipes like scrubs, masks, and soap.
    19. Mix pulp into your dog’s food or make dog treats.
    If all else fails:
    20. Feed it to your chickens, freeze it in ice cube trays to use later, or compost it."

I get my fiber from the FOOD that I EAT. But if you are not wanting to waste any part of what you are juicing, there are numerous ways to not waste!

wouldn't it be easier to just eat the pulp with the fruit/vegetables than save it for later for these 20 things?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Taken from: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/what-do-i-do-with-leftover-juice-pulp/

4. Make a veggie broth by boiling pulp with water, herbs, and spices, then straining.
    5. Make a “fruit tea” by boiling fruit pulp with water, adding spices such as cinnamon or ginger, cooling, and then straining.
    6. Use veggie pulp to add nutrient density to mac n’ cheese or pasta sauce, or layer into a lasagne.
    9. Use in homemade veggie burgers or fritters. Pulp adds moisture, flavor, and nutrition.
    10. Mix pulp into baked goods like muffins, cakes, bread, dehydrated or baked cookies, and granola bars. Celery, onion, carrot, sweet potato, spinach, apple, and berry all work beautifully.
    14. Make pulp marmalade.
    15. Make a pulp crumble by mixing pulp with fruit and juice, reducing, and then topping with oats, spices, nuts, or seeds.
    If all else fails:
    20. Feed it to your chickens, freeze it in ice cube trays to use later, or compost it."

I get my fiber from the FOOD that I EAT. But if you are not wanting to waste any part of what you are juicing, there are numerous ways to not waste!

wouldn't it be easier to just eat the pulp with the fruit/vegetables than save it for later for these 20 things?

Bingo
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

14. Make pulp marmalade.
    If all else fails:

omg I agree. I really don't get it at all. I've always thought juicing was eating/drinking the WHOLE fruit or vegetable. I love orange juice, but I don't bother with it as I'd rather eat the whole thing, because I need that fibre!!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

14. Make pulp marmalade.
    If all else fails:

Bingo

And, besides you have to use the pulp right away because otherwise it will go bad.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    But, I thought this thread was about juice fasting....I'm gonna need more popcorn.
  • Aviva92
    Options

14. Make pulp marmalade.
    If all else fails:

omg I agree. I really don't get it at all. I've always thought juicing was eating/drinking the WHOLE fruit or vegetable. I love orange juice, but I don't bother with it as I'd rather eat the whole thing, because I need that fibre!!

yeah, i drink orange juice only on the weekends because i love it, but i don't fool myself into thinking it's better than eating the whole orange. i just like it better.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    But, I thought this thread was about juice fasting....I'm gonna need more popcorn.

Don't forget to juice it first.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

14. Make pulp marmalade.
    If all else fails:

You appear to have not seen the one hour long juicer infomercial than spawned a cult of pseudoscience following.
  • asheldon43
    asheldon43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on your 80 pounds. One of my biggest diet challenges is sugar cravings and me drinking a green juice most mornings gives my body what it needs and curbs cravings for unhealthy food allowing for most of my intake to be fruits and vegetables, chicken and fish, nuts and seeds, and certain grains. I eat a very balanced diet and maintain a healthy lifestyle that for me includes making my own juice.

Check out the documentary "juicing saved my life" on YouTube or fat sick and nearly dead surely everyone can't be wrong people this lady speaks sense but hey ho each to their own
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    asheldon43 wrote: »
    Well congrats on your 80 pounds. One of my biggest diet challenges is sugar cravings and me drinking a green juice most mornings gives my body what it needs and curbs cravings for unhealthy food allowing for most of my intake to be fruits and vegetables, chicken and fish, nuts and seeds, and certain grains. I eat a very balanced diet and maintain a healthy lifestyle that for me includes making my own juice.

Check out the documentary "juicing saved my life" on YouTube or fat sick and nearly dead surely everyone can't be wrong people this lady speaks sense but hey ho each to their own

I have several qualifications in nutrition. The idea was to point out the site rules, but then get you to question and think about the choices you were making and long term sustainability and the benefits of alternatives.
    Unfortunately we got threadjacked.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Nope.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So, in the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" , does anyone know how he got fat? Was from over eating fruits & veggies? Is that why he decided to juice them?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying about being able to drink the juice, with nutrients, from a variety of sources, all in one glass. Yay that.

I've thought of juicing some spinach in with things I like so that I can work the spinach in. I do fine with spinach mixed into other foods, just can't eat the fresh leaves - so bitter!

I'm not against a glass of freshly juiced items. Better than soda.

Lots of people drink protein shakes, so why not juice?

It's not curing any illness, though...and fasting isn't necessary or very healthy. A day won't do you much, if any, harm, but as a regular thing - avoid it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My roommate just bought a juicer and he's been making some really delicious juice mixes primarily with veggies. It hadn't occurred to me to use the pulp, but I think I might try boiling it for some veggie stock. Thanks, guys!

For those who juice regularly, how do you log it? Do you just weigh the veggies and fruits before juicing and ignore the fact that you're removing half of the weight and a lot of the nutrients?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My roommate just bought a juicer and he's been making some really delicious juice mixes primarily with veggies. It hadn't occurred to me to use the pulp, but I think I might try boiling it for some veggie stock. Thanks, guys!

For those who juice regularly, how do you log it? Do you just weigh the veggies and fruits before juicing and ignore the fact that you're removing half of the weight and a lot of the nutrients?

There's a formula that takes into account the calories that fiber adds, I don't know it off the top of my head.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I typically juice a bag of spinach, a lemon, 4 apples, 4 celery stalks, ginger, and cilantro. All of which have nutrients in them. Juicing them does not make them magically have more nutrients but it does allow me to get a larger portion of fruits in veggies in one drink that I can have in the morning. Dark leafy greens are very nutrient dense and I'm pretty sure I couldn't eat an entire bag of spinach in a day. I also eat my greens and other fruits and vegetables. So, I stand by my claim that drinking a juice that I make and I know exactly what is in it adds to the amount of nutrients that I take into my body in any given day. I do not buy juice, I do not participate in any gimmick diets. I have lost 60 pounds over 2 years through good diet and exercise alone.

Juicing is the current gimmick lol.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Check out the commercials/mockumentaries "juicing saved my life" on YouTube or fat sick and nearly dead surely everyone can't be wrong people this lady speaks sense but hey ho each to their own

FIFY

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I get what you're saying about being able to drink the juice, with nutrients, from a variety of sources, all in one glass. Yay that.

I've thought of juicing some spinach in with things I like so that I can work the spinach in. I do fine with spinach mixed into other foods, just can't eat the fresh leaves - so bitter!

I'm not against a glass of freshly juiced items. Better than soda.

Lots of people drink protein shakes, so why not juice?

It's not curing any illness, though...and fasting isn't necessary or very healthy. A day won't do you much, if any, harm, but as a regular thing - avoid it.

can't you just cook the spinach? raw spinach is boring to me. or did you mean you don't like it even when cooked?

i mix it with mushrooms and blue cheese lately. it's awesome.