Running Shoes Question

Options
Hello all,

I am currently using the Mizuno Wave Rider 17 and was professionally fitted at a running store. When I first wore it, it was comfortable and well-fitting. The thing is that now it has been creating pain at the top of my foot (toe joint area). After just 3 miles the other day, that area was black and blue.

After a quick search, it seems that this is a problem for some people. I can't return the shoes now that it's beyond the return date. It seems such a shame to just retire it when I haven't even gotten to the 100 miles mark with it and it wasn't cheap to begin with. So my question is: for those who experienced this problem, have you found a way around it?

Thank you.

Replies

• runningforicecream
    Options
    Oh, I should also add that I have tried different ways of lacing and it doesn't work.
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you read "born to run"? In short, wear your shoes during the day to "tire" them and they will be more comfy. Studies have shown that the more expensive shoes, the more injuries!!! Hence the "no sole" fashion at the moment. Good luck
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    tostaky wrote: »
    Have you read "born to run"? In short, wear your shoes during the day to "tire" them and they will be more comfy. Studies have shown that the more expensive shoes, the more injuries!!! Hence the "no sole" fashion at the moment. Good luck

I never heard of this, but it makes sense.

Also, check your shoe box. Even if you were professionally fitted, they may not have tested if there is enough room vertically as well as lengthwise.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Honestly? I'd eat the money and just ditch them, if they are bothering you that much.

I *might* try to find a way to use them besides running. Like if you need junk sneakers for gardening or errands, and they are tolerable for that. Otherwise I would get great glee from throwing them away--none of the sadness of "retiring" a loyal, trusting pair of sneakers that have served me so well and must now meet a horrible fate.

ETA: There is currently a lot of pushback against minimalist shoes ("no sole" or barefoot running). Seems they haven't reduced injuries to the extent promised. (See: lawsuit against Vibram, running coaches switching from talking about footstrike to hip angle and stride, etc).
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Wear as normal shoes or donate. Sorry they were no match, these shoes aren't inexpensive :/
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you are one lf the few who have found a pair of shoes comfortable and suitable in the shop and on the treadmill but in the real world they just don't work.

I know it's tough as they are expensive but just suck it up and get Fitted again for something different. I've been lucky in the the ones I started with have served me well. I have tried others since then and some have worked and some haven't. I have a very expensive collection of running shoes I use for cutting the grass and washing the car. Just the way things go im afraid.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I have learned the hard way, having to sit a month out to heal my foot, that it is better to ditch the expensive shoes that don't actually work for me and buy new ones that do. If you bought them from the same store you were professionally fitted at and tell them your trouble it may help you find a better pair of shoes...and who knows...maybe they will give a discount or something? Probably not, but you have a better shot there than anywhere else.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had been fitted for a pair of New Balance shoes in the past, at mile 2 I felt pain. They had fitted me based on one foot overpronating while the other didn't. Also since I never wore shoes that corrected this, I had compensated for it in my running which differs than my walking stride. Now I have Saucony's and they are great. You need to get fitted again, tell them the exact problem and they should be able to find you a new pair that works. I know the place I shop at takes them back if it was less than XX days from sale. Maybe your store has that too. Good luck!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe check with Mizuno directly. I had a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves that after 400 miles the inner liner tore. I asked Merrell directly if if it would damage the structure of the shoe to just tear the liner out... but instead they sent me a brand new pair and a shipping label to return my old ones. These shoe companies want your business.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Take them back to the shop and ask them this question. We are a bunch of idiots on the interweb... advice will here will be iffy at best. Ask someone who can actually look at the shoe, your foot, your stride, etc.

Also, unfortunately getting fitted is no guarantee, it just improves your chances at getting the right shoe.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I see all of your points.

I am always vigilant about avoiding injuries when I can and was just hoping for a hail Mary (so to speak) in that someone experienced the same thing and found a way around it (especially those who own Mizunos) before I give them up.

Appears that I have to just suck it up and save to get a different pair. Oh well, it is what it is.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Maybe check with Mizuno directly. I had a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves that after 400 miles the inner liner tore. I asked Merrell directly if if it would damage the structure of the shoe to just tear the liner out... but instead they sent me a brand new pair and a shipping label to return my old ones. These shoe companies want your business.

Oh wow, that is really good after-sale service.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I run and wear the Mizuno Wave Riders and have for a couple of years. I was fitted at a running store as well and that is what they recommended. That being said, I strongly suggest you take them back to the running store - generally they are pretty serious about getting you in appropriate shoes and will be much more sympathetic to your issue than say an athletic store. Most, if not all, working staff at these stores are serious runners and either have experienced what you are going through or something similar and understanding you paid anywhere upwards of $165 will more than likely want to see you comeback as a happy customer.... good luck and happy running! Don't settle!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Asics are best for me. I have a high arch but wide toe box. They seem to be the most comfy.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are a lot like music. What one person likes isn't going to mean much to you or I. When you find a pair of shoes that fits you and doesn't cause you pain then you stick with them. OTOH, after 28 years of running, I can tell you that every once in a while I will try something different (I rotate 3 pairs of shoes all the time and track my miles one each) and that doesn't always work out. When that happens, the best thing you can do is just donate those shoes to a needy person (most running shoe stores will coordinate this) and never run in them again. Sure you will have to take a financial loss, but that is a lot cheaper than getting hurt and having to go to doctors and therapists to get back on the road again. And don't forget the mental toll of not being able to run. That sometimes is worse.

The Wave Rider is a great shoe, but it keeps getting lighter and not many people are biomechanically able to run in a sub 10 oz shoe on a daily basis. I looked into them once and tried them on but knew it would lead to injury. I am just more comfortable with an 11-12oz shoe.

My biggest mistake was trying to switch to Newton's. I was told that once I learned to run in them (and you do need to adapt your stride) that they would last 500 miles. Since I never get more that 330-350 that sounded great. I threw them out after 175 miles. I kept getting hurt and despite hitting on the lugs like I was told, found that these were not for me.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Take them back to the shop and ask them this question. We are a bunch of idiots on the interweb... advice will here will be iffy at best. Ask someone who can actually look at the shoe, your foot, your stride, etc.

Also, unfortunately getting fitted is no guarantee, it just improves your chances at getting the right shoe.

Speak for yourself man. Just kidding.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    ayalowich wrote: »
    And don't forget the mental toll of not being able to run. That sometimes is worse.

Great point about that!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I blew out the treads on a pair of Merrell Avians after not-nearly-enough miles. They weren't being made anymore so Merrell replaced them with the Sirens (unfortunately too big and wouldn't take them back a second time. :s ) So I just sprung for a new pair of Avians.

Anyway! OP- before you give up on these shoes would a different lacing pattern take any of the pressure off the area causing discomfort?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I literally just purchased a pair of Wave Rider 18s on Saturday. My first shoes were the 14s, I think. I would have purchased them in 2011. One thing that got me into the Mizunos is that there's something in my stride that causes black toenails, even when wearing shoes 1.5 sizes too big. I tried Brooks Ghost first but when I went from an 8.5 to a 9 my heels slipped. The Mizunos are snug enough to keep my flat feet from slipping around in them. That may be a part of your issue.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how they worked for you for 100 miles but are suddenly causing problems. If anything they should be a bit looser rather than tighter by now. Has anything changed about the way you run or your equipment? Have you changed out the liner in the shoe? Are you wearing different socks?
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

Anyway! OP- before you give up on these shoes would a different lacing pattern take any of the pressure off the area causing discomfort?

Thank you for the suggestion but I have tried and it does't work.

SueInAz wrote: »
    I literally just purchased a pair of Wave Rider 18s on Saturday. My first shoes were the 14s, I think. I would have purchased them in 2011. One thing that got me into the Mizunos is that there's something in my stride that causes black toenails, even when wearing shoes 1.5 sizes too big. I tried Brooks Ghost first but when I went from an 8.5 to a 9 my heels slipped. The Mizunos are snug enough to keep my flat feet from slipping around in them. That may be a part of your issue.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how they worked for you for 100 miles but are suddenly causing problems. If anything they should be a bit looser rather than tighter by now. Has anything changed about the way you run or your equipment? Have you changed out the liner in the shoe? Are you wearing different socks?

I have tried Brooks Ghost 7, but they gave me blisters and the advice I got was that that probably means they weren't right for me. So, I exchanged it for these Mizuno.

The Mizuno aren't quite at 100 miles yet. They are probably only around 80ish. And I haven't changed anything (mostly), still running at the same place, same socks. Only now my run is comparatively longer than previously. My reasoning for that is probably accumulative injury, if that makes sense.