Running Shoes Question

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

Anyway! OP- before you give up on these shoes would a different lacing pattern take any of the pressure off the area causing discomfort?

Thank you for the suggestion but I have tried and it does't work.

SueInAz wrote: »
    I literally just purchased a pair of Wave Rider 18s on Saturday. My first shoes were the 14s, I think. I would have purchased them in 2011. One thing that got me into the Mizunos is that there's something in my stride that causes black toenails, even when wearing shoes 1.5 sizes too big. I tried Brooks Ghost first but when I went from an 8.5 to a 9 my heels slipped. The Mizunos are snug enough to keep my flat feet from slipping around in them. That may be a part of your issue.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how they worked for you for 100 miles but are suddenly causing problems. If anything they should be a bit looser rather than tighter by now. Has anything changed about the way you run or your equipment? Have you changed out the liner in the shoe? Are you wearing different socks?

I have tried Brooks Ghost 7, but they gave me blisters and the advice I got was that that probably means they weren't right for me. So, I exchanged it for these Mizuno.

The Mizuno aren't quite at 100 miles yet. They are probably only around 80ish. And I haven't changed anything (mostly), still running at the same place, same socks. Only now my run is comparatively longer than previously. My reasoning for that is probably accumulative injury, if that makes sense.
    I wonder if a different liner, with a lower profile, would help. There may just not be enough room vertically in that area for you.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Would elastic laces help? Generally used by triathletes but would allow a bit of give in them
  • runningforicecream
    runningforicecream Posts: 89
    edited January 2015
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Would elastic laces help? Generally used by triathletes but would allow a bit of give in them

I borrowed some from my friend and tried it out. The problem isn't the laces but something plasticky. Just part of the design, I guess.

I appreciate all the help but it appears that there is no way around it. Just have to give them away and get a new pair.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I borrowed some from my friend and tried it out. The problem isn't the laces but something plasticky. Just part of the design, I guess.

I appreciate all the help but it appears that there is no way around it. Just have to give them away and get a new pair.

Maybe look at pairs suitable for sickles wearing as they tend to be a lot softer lined. I used to have a pair of K-Swiss ones which basically had a sock on the inside. they were lovely just didn't last very long
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Donate those suckers, get a reciept and take the donation off your taxes next year!
  • runningforicecream
    Options

Maybe look at pairs suitable for sickles wearing as they tend to be a lot softer lined. I used to have a pair of K-Swiss ones which basically had a sock on the inside. they were lovely just didn't last very long

Yup, I will probably make a trip to Sweatshop or maybe Runnersneed when I can swing it.

Donate those suckers, get a reciept and take the donation off your taxes next year!

Hah! Still a student, so technically not paying that type of taxes...I think.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Hah! Still a student, so technically not paying that type of taxes...I think.
    [/quote]

Well shoot. Send them to me and I'll donate them and take them off my taxes!

Alternatively, you might be able to find a place that will take them to donate and give you a store credit. . .
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I just got fitted for my very first pair of running shoes. They put me in some saucony.

I am amazed at how much difference it makes! It is so much more comfortable to run in these.

I would take them back to the store and explain the problem. I get the impression that the running shoe business is ultra competitive, and they may try to help you.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    I have flat feet, is there a type of trainer I should avoid? I wonder if that's why Iv always suffered with shin splints, I swear I walk odd, cant walk in a straight line that's for sure!
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    Hello all,

I am currently using the Mizuno Wave Rider 17 and was professionally fitted at a running store. When I first wore it, it was comfortable and well-fitting. The thing is that now it has been creating pain at the top of my foot (toe joint area). After just 3 miles the other day, that area was black and blue.

After a quick search, it seems that this is a problem for some people. I can't return the shoes now that it's beyond the return date. It seems such a shame to just retire it when I haven't even gotten to the 100 miles mark with it and it wasn't cheap to begin with. So my question is: for those who experienced this problem, have you found a way around it?

Thank you.

Sorry misread the title and thought I had gone on a thread to post running shoe questions, I really should pay more attention. I hope it gets sorted out for you. I was thinking of getting a pair of trainers properly fitted at a running store but now I am having second thoughts with my dodgy feet

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive had to put a new pair on the shelf once or twice (could not bring myself to throw them away) due to fitting issues. That is why I stick with what works for me.