How often do you weigh yourself?

Those of you who have maintained long term success on your weight loss; how often did you weigh yourself when you were losing weight & how often do you continue to weigh yourself once you've reached your weight loss goal?

Replies

• GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    I weigh everyday first thing in the morning. It tends to be the most consistent time to weight myself.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    edited January 2015
    I weigh in once a week. If I have an off weigh in (like no loss, or even up a few pounds) I wait a couple days and weigh again. That way I know there was no true gain and I was just clinging to water. Something like that.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Friday weigh ins.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    First thing in the morning, every day. (well second thing in the morning, need to go to the bathroom first)
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    There are a group of us who scale obsess and find it is better to weigh only occasionally. When I weighed every day, I would use 1 lb lost as an excuse to eat more. So it was self-defeating. Now I drop by my dr.'s office once a month and weigh on his scale. This really shows me the larger trend lines but I do not obsess on the daily fluctuations. When I was losing my weight, I used the clothing getting looser as an indication of my progress. Good luck!
  • eribaby24
    eribaby24 Posts: 3 Member
    First thing in the morning, once a week!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Every day. First thing in the morning. 3 years on 3/12/15. Almost 15 months on maintenance. Keeps me accountable, works for me and I will continue to weigh myself daily.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    First thing in the morning, every day. (well second thing in the morning, need to go to the bathroom first)

This.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Every Thursday morning, first thing.
  • Ibknute
    Ibknute Posts: 43 Member
    I use Sunday mornings when I first get up (after a bathroom break) as my official weigh in for reporting purposes. Nothing special about that day but just started doing it then. It gives me a consistent time and conditions for comparison. I will sometimes weigh myself again on Thursday or Friday just to see how the week seems to be going but don't record it on the chart. As mentioned by a couple others, I also use other measures such as how my clothes feel and am just starting to track body measurements as another method to track progress.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Daily. However, I know there will be ups and downs so I do it only as a trend. Some people are not able to weigh daily, to each their own. What ever works for you is the best advise. Try different versions and see what works. You have a lifetime to figure it out.
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    Not at maintenance, but: Once per week, Monday mornings. I find that weighing myself every day can be crazy-making, so I guess it really just depends on your mindset.
  • MzJonzz
    MzJonzz Posts: 7 Member
    Wednesdays every week - early in the morning, not first thing because I weigh @ work. As long as you do the same time every time you weight it sould be pretty consistant. Women vary a lot due to our cycle so daily is probably not a good idea. I agree with "how the clothes fit" because muscle weighs more and working out a lot will nudge the scale up.
  • Burghaus
    Burghaus Posts: 22 Member
    If you are able to handle the day-by-day fluctuations, I would suggest daily. If a daily weigh-in can have fluctuations then so can a weekly. Going day-by-day, you can see an overall trend. If you do it once a week, you get less information. For example, if your real weight is 150 but your weekly weight is light do to hydration, the scale may say 148. The next week, you may have more in your system and the scale says 152. It looks like 4 pounds were gained where in reality, you are the same. The opposite cold happen leading you to believe you lost 4 lbs.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    I have lost over 70 pounds (with lots more to go!), and I am a daily weigher. It helps keep me on track and in control, and now I've done it enough that the numbers have become mere data to me – they are not the be all end all to my day. Like Burghaus said, you can then see the trends of your loss and become aware of how your body works. I definitely see patterns. Using an app like Happy Scale will help you see the downward trending more clearly. At the same time, I have an "official" weekly weigh-in with a Facebook group I belong to. Every Friday I check in with my weight, and here again, I see the overall (generally downward) trend.

Personally, I think daily weigh is really useful if you're not obsessive and judgmental with the information you get. ;) Knowing that I'm getting on the scale every day helps me with evening snacking (as in I usually don't anymore), for instance. I weigh totally naked right after my first visit to the bathroom so that it is consistent.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Burghaus wrote: »
    If you are able to handle the day-by-day fluctuations, I would suggest daily. If a daily weigh-in can have fluctuations then so can a weekly. Going day-by-day, you can see an overall trend. If you do it once a week, you get less information. For example, if your real weight is 150 but your weekly weight is light do to hydration, the scale may say 148. The next week, you may have more in your system and the scale says 152. It looks like 4 pounds were gained where in reality, you are the same. The opposite cold happen leading you to believe you lost 4 lbs.

This is exactly why I weigh daily, and cringe when friends weigh weekly or monthly. It's not that I think they "should" weigh daily, I just know that for ME it would be a completely scary thing!

• FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Every stinking rotten day..in the morning when I wake up. Sometimes at night too, it's interesting to see how much you fluctuate from night to the morning.
  • hellurkitty
    hellurkitty Posts: 19 Member
    I was weighing myself daily forever, but as I get closer to my goal body composition, the scale moves less and less which can be mentally demotivating. Now I weight myself once a week and use non scale progress to gauge how I'm doing.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Twice daily.

Sounds crazy, yes? It's actually not. I started just weighing myself once a week, early morning, same time. I thought that would keep me from obsessing. I was wrong -- it made it worse!

The best thing I ever did was to start weighing twice a day, right before bed, and then after my just-up bathroom visit. Seeing my weight go down up to 2.5 pounds overnight was really eye-opening. Watching my weight dance around a 3 pound window from day to day really drove home to me that water retention and digestive timing really affect what the scale has to say!

I only log a weight every week or so. Once I've observed those fluctuations over a week's time, I start seeing the median point of the fluctuation window, and I feel comfortable using that as my MFP "official weight." Seeing the very slight downward trend there gives me a much more consistent feeling of success than the single-data-point-per-week approach, because that single point is so unreliable...especially if you are on a less-than-a-pound per week loss goal plan.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    I'm shocked people actually weigh themselves everyday, what does that solve? Our bodies are going to fluctuate so your most likely not even getting an accurate number.

I used to weigh in weekly, but I now weigh in monthly. For me the number on the scale is important but not the most important thing. Muscle weighs more then fat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!