Need tips on gaining weight

Options
I am 35 yrs old and can't gain any weight past 145 LBS , any tips on food to help ? Also this week going to get a protein shake to help to , all help is wanted

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now and do you have any dietary restrictions? Are you lifting and what are your goals for fat and muscle?
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you've hit a plateau try increasing your calories a bit and see after a couple of weeks if you are having any changes.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you were previously gaining weight eating a certain amount and have stalled out, you'll likely need to bump up your calories.

If you've always floated around 145 and have never systematically gone about adding mass before, get on a recognised progressive training programme tailored for your experience level and utilising available equipment and keep adding to your daily calorie intake until you're gaining 0.5-1lb a week. If the gains stop coming, then you need to bump up the calories and keep going. Rinse. Repeat.

As to food, calorie dense stuff is your friend - don't try to eat a mountain of steamed chicken and veg. PB, Ice Cream, etc is acceptable and probably necessary if your caloric requirements are high...
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ditch the idea of buying a protein supplement and start buying yourself a double cheeseburger from McDonalds.

It'll help a hell of a lot more than that protein shake will.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Seems the OP might have bailed...
  • ziaibelieve
    ziaibelieve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Totally recommend protein powder. 2-3 protein shakes with 1 - 2 cups of whole milk, and a scoop or two of powder. If you like any nut butters, stick a couple spoons in each shake and drink it up!

Eat big meals every 2-3 hours. Increase your portions.

Don't forget to skip on the weights otherwise you won't gain good mass! ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Totally recommend protein powder. 2-3 protein shakes with 1 - 2 cups of whole milk, and a scoop or two of powder. If you like any nut butters, stick a couple spoons in each shake and drink it up!

Eat big meals every 2-3 hours. Increase your portions.

Don't forget to skip on the weights otherwise you'll just get fat ;)

FTFY
  • jpwoods326
    jpwoods326 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am eating 3 times a day and no restrictions also because of my high motablishism it's hard to do little workouts or exercises , I am
    Trying to reach 160 range and tone up my body
  • jpwoods326
    Options
    My cal is at 3180 per day but will see this week how I do and thanks for the protein advice will be going out this weekend and getting whey protein 5 LBS any other tips is much appreciated
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jpwoods326 wrote: »
    My cal is at 3180 per day but will see this week how I do and thanks for the protein advice will be going out this weekend and getting whey protein 5 LBS any other tips is much appreciated

If you are eating 3180 per day and not gaining, then it is time to increase to 3300 and see what happens..no gain, increase again..gain, stop increasing..

do you use a food scale to weigh/log/measure everything?
  • jpwoods326
    Options
    Yup but not sure if I need protein shakes or what besides upping my cal intake ?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Yup but not sure if I need protein shakes or what besides upping my cal intake ?

With that many calories, unless you are going nuts on carbs and fats, will mean you don't really need any shakes to meet your protein requirements. Eat a good base of vegetable, lean meats, whole grain, fruits, nuts etc (aka clean foods), which will probably be about 2000 calories and fill up the rest of you calories with high calorie foods like pizza, burgers, ice cream, chips or whatever else you want. Just get your basic needs and then your calories and you will do fine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Calories are what matters for weight gain. Get them however makes you comfortable.
  • jpwoods326
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone B)
  • beastcompany
    Options

You need some real damn food.

Protein shakes will (roughly) come out to around $1/serving and you're going to get anywhere from 100-200 calories/serving.

Take that same $1 and go to McDonalds and get yourself a double cheeseburger.
    You're still getting (around) 20g/protein per burger, plus a nice dose of fats and anywhere from 300-400 calories.

Basically, you're getting double for your money.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Protein shakes will (roughly) come out to around $1/serving and you're going to get anywhere from 100-200 calories/serving.

You're still getting (around) 20g/protein per burger, plus a nice dose of fats and anywhere from 300-400 calories.

Cheeseburgers actually have decent macro content and a good price.
  • beastcompany
    Options

Don't need to tell me!

I usually get them in 4-5 times/week.
    When you're bulking at 5,000 calories/day you gotta find a way to pack in calories for cheap.

Cheeseburgers + $5 KFC Famous Bowls are a winning combination.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options

Don't need to tell me!

When you're bulking at 5,000 calories/day you gotta find a way to pack in calories for cheap.

Love your thinking, it's something I've done for a fast cheap meal that hits those macros! :)
  • beastcompany
    Options

Don't need to tell me!

Love your thinking, it's something I've done for a fast cheap meal that hits those macros! :)

It's convienent for me considering both are located on the main road on my drive home, so it's a quick stop off for some post-workout gains.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Don't need to tell me!

It's convienent for me considering both are located on the main road on my drive home, so it's a quick stop off for some post-workout gains.
    I see you're convenient end of the drive way food and I raise you... I live literally right next to a deli... they sell boars head- I can walk 15 yards yards and buy coffee and or a sammich.

They also helped me change my flat tire. ;)