Anyone suffering from a Thyroid Issue?

13

Replies

  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Docmahi wrote: »
    Docmahi wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

    Do you have thyroid?
    Do you know anyone who has thyroid?

    If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.
    Thyroid if left untreated can be life threatening.

    Lol.

    I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

    However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

    Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

    As a nurse you should know better. Age has nothing to do with Thyroid.

    Who is at risk for developing postpartum thyroiditis?
    Any woman with:

    Autoimmune disorders (such as Type 1, or juvenile onset, Diabetes Mellitus)
    Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous thyroid dysfunction
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)
    Family history of thyroid dysfunction

    http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/


    I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.


    ^this chick has a strong google game

    mother of dragons > MFP-MD

    Trust him, he's a doctor.

    everyone on MFP is a doctor apparently

    Of course - we obtained our MDs from Google University.


    this is legit I googled my way through half of a liberal arts degree
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

    Do you have thyroid?
    Do you know anyone who has thyroid?

    If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.
    Thyroid if left untreated can be life threatening.

    Lol.

    I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

    However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

    Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

    As a nurse you should know better. Age has nothing to do with Thyroid.

    Who is at risk for developing postpartum thyroiditis?
    Any woman with:

    Autoimmune disorders (such as Type 1, or juvenile onset, Diabetes Mellitus)
    Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous thyroid dysfunction
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)
    Family history of thyroid dysfunction

    http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/


    I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster won't hear anymore from me.

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here.

    THAT earned you three flags? Seriously?

    It COULD be a thyroid issue. No one is saying it isn't, but walking into the doctor's office and saying "This one chick on the internet said it was my thyroid. Do all the tests," isn't going to be nearly as effective as walking in with a food diary listing everything OP has eaten and all of the exercising that has been done. Let the doctor make an INFORMED decision on her medical treatment.

    THE HORROR!


    I have noticed that disagreeing with anyone about anything for any reason gets a flag these days. This is why many of us have just stopped giving advice to people. This new system is counterproductive.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,051 Member
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Docmahi wrote: »
    Docmahi wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

    Do you have thyroid?
    Do you know anyone who has thyroid?

    If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.
    Thyroid if left untreated can be life threatening.

    Lol.

    I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

    However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

    Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

    As a nurse you should know better. Age has nothing to do with Thyroid.

    Who is at risk for developing postpartum thyroiditis?
    Any woman with:

    Autoimmune disorders (such as Type 1, or juvenile onset, Diabetes Mellitus)
    Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous thyroid dysfunction
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)
    Family history of thyroid dysfunction

    http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/


    I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster you won't hear anymore from me.


    ^this chick has a strong google game

    mother of dragons > MFP-MD

    Trust him, he's a doctor.

    everyone on MFP is a doctor apparently

    Of course - we obtained our MDs from Google University.

    Web MD or GTFO.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    I have thyroid.

    It not a good one.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    PixiRex wrote: »
    OP... you do realize that even if your thryoid IS the problem, you are still going to have to exercise and eat healthy right? Because getting a diagnosis is NOT some magic thing that makes the world fall into place and the weight fall off.

    So start with counting calories and exercising and go from there because in all honesty that is going to be your best bet with or without a diagnosis.

    Take it from someone who has a thyroid that doesn't work properly even with medication.

    Yup. I'm on 75mcg of synthroid for Hashimoto's and still have to be incredibly careful in order to lose weight. I'm on very low carb (35-50g) and 1400calories/day. This is technically below my bmr but I have very little wiggle room between my bmr and tdee and this is what has worked for me.

    If your doctor doesn't take you seriously, find a new doctor. I had one who said my thyroid was fine, I was just tired because I have kids. Despite almost all the other symptoms and a family history of thyroid problems.

    Get the hypothyroid symptoms checklist online and check off those you experience, either long term, sporadic or newly developed, so the doctor has a clear idea of what he's dealing with. If you do have a thyroid problem, the pills will only replace what is lost, it won't super boost you like the bullet in Mario Kart. Taking too much is dangerous so you need to be careful.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 278 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Why don't you try counting calories and getting exercise in the meantime just to see what happens?

    Do you have thyroid?
    Do you know anyone who has thyroid?

    If you are going to answer no to any or both these questions I would suggest stay out of this thread discussion.
    Thyroid if left untreated can be life threatening.

    Lol.

    I'm a registered nurse. I know plenty of people with thyroids. Some without. I'm pretty sure if a doctor thought that the OP, at 22 years old, had any kind of thyroid crisis going on, he/she would be acting on it.

    However, I'm going to say that the new doctor wants to see if she actually can lose the weight on her own, before resorting to unnecessary testing and/or medication.

    Lastly, I can post in a public forum whenever I please, but thank you for your suggestion.

    As a nurse you should know better. Age has nothing to do with Thyroid.

    Who is at risk for developing postpartum thyroiditis?
    Any woman with:

    Autoimmune disorders (such as Type 1, or juvenile onset, Diabetes Mellitus)
    Positive anti-thyroid antibodies (risk correlates with antibody levels, the higher the antibody the higher the risk)
    History of previous thyroid dysfunction
    History of previous postpartum thyroiditis (20% of women will have recurrence of thyroiditis with subsequent pregnancies)
    Family history of thyroid dysfunction

    http://www.thyroid.org/postpartum-thyroiditis/


    I can't respond to person with half the knowledge. Poster won't hear anymore from me.

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here.

    THAT earned you three flags? Seriously?

    It COULD be a thyroid issue. No one is saying it isn't, but walking into the doctor's office and saying "This one chick on the internet said it was my thyroid. Do all the tests," isn't going to be nearly as effective as walking in with a food diary listing everything OP has eaten and all of the exercising that has been done. Let the doctor make an INFORMED decision on her medical treatment.

    THE HORROR!

    Meh, it's still January. I'm not surprised.

    How do you know it was flagged?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,986 Member
    edited January 2015
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    And you felt the need to inform us of this because?

    ETA: AND it's not even what really happened. Well. Okay then. :indifferent:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,474 Member
    edited January 2015
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    Ummm, the only thing I edited was when I added the last paragraph. The first sentence was there.

    I didn't attack anyone. EVER. Get over yourself.

    EDIT: You don't have to take your flag back. It was taken away for you. Have a nice day!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    This also seems counterproductive.

  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,218 Member
    edited January 2015
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.


    LOLCATS


    ETA:
    Suggesting you can't white knight the OP because you don't know her medical history isn't a person attack. It's pointing out your total lack of knowledge, which I get totally embarrassing. But this is making it worse.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    mr-t-lol.gif
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited January 2015
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    Or maybe you should admit you got your panties in a twist and took something personally that wasn't actually personal at all? There was no hint of a personal attack in there - now or at the beginning.

    EDIT: Also, the purpose of this thread is not to defend your rationale or honor. And I promise I edited nothing in this post except the bolded, clearly marked area.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    Also change to a female doctor because thyroid is a primarily a "female issue"

    I have hypothyroidism, I'm a male. Should I seriously change to a female doctor? Never heard that the thyroid was a female part of the body. Is this like having a uterus? No wonder I'm moody a lot ;)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,051 Member
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    Also change to a female doctor because thyroid is a primarily a "female issue"

    I have hypothyroidism, I'm a male. Should I seriously change to a female doctor? Never heard that the thyroid was a female part of the body. Is this like having a uterus? No wonder I'm moody a lot ;)
    That's probably your period. Ask your OBGYN for more information.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Get a new doctor. I have thyroid issues. My story was a bit different with me insisting I did not have a problem and my doctor saying yes you do. I googled what happens with long term untreated thyroid issues and...well I take the meds now. I feel so much better! I was tired for so long I forgot it wasn't normal.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,328 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    shh.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,225 Member
    edited January 2015
    runner475 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

    Aaaaaand since we know NOTHING of the OP's medical history, you can't play white knight here.

    Just to clarify, you are saying she shouldn't at least try to count calories or exercise? She should wait for her doctor to believe her and draw blood? Just making sure that's what you're saying here, because that's totally ridiculous.

    To those wondering why I had to flag this post as abuse - because originally the post was a personal attack. What you are reading is NOT the original post. The poster modified it at later time.
    Check the "edit" status before you comment.
    I won't be taking my flag back because MFP has to know people change their "personal attack" comments and this is an example of one such.

    You need to go read what the flags actually are supposed to be used for.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points#latest

    Abuse: Use this flag to report extreme abuse of our guidelines; such as posting of pornographic images or hate speech.

    ETA: I read her post before and after the change was made. The only edit she made was to add a sentence at the end.
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    I've read most of the replies not all. And oh my days!

    First of all, either push your doc to test you, or find another doc who will. I never went to an endocrinologist because we have to be referred too. Instead, I did a whole load of research with legit references and when he wouldn't listen, I just got another doc!

    I have been diagnosed since I was 18 but showed symptoms since puberty. Age is not a factor.

    Everybody's body is different and reacts differently. The meds you get for hypothyroidism is not a miracle drug, it won't give instant weightloss. You have to work hard for it, all the meds do is optimise your thyroid function, and help you maintain your weight not lose it. Weightloss comes slow, weight gain comes easily. It's a harsh reality.

    Most importantly, alot of gps just don't know enough or won't learn new information, and we have to take control of our own care.

    P.s, pet gripe. Everyone has a thyroid unless removed. It is a major gland and your quality of life would be greatly reduced without one (and no meds to make up for it).