How are earth do you slim the HIPS!?

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Extensive elective bone remodeling surgery.
    Oh this sounds fun!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    You switch bodies with me (natural 'boyish' hips here, but I love myself regardless) ;) But seriously, love the shape you are, strength train however you can, cardio as you like, and lower your body fat to make yourself the best version of you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Extensive elective bone remodeling surgery.
    Oh this sounds fun!

and expensive.

I personally love my rather ahem- wide hips- but eh- not everyone is about that thug life.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous comments about the inability to spot reduce and the benefits of maintaining a calorie deficit.

A could of related things to add...
    1) perhaps consider building your upper body a bit to help with proportions.
    2) some people just have wide hips (it's a skeletal/structural thing) that can't be changed. I don't know if that's you or not, but something to consider.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    isa474 wrote: »
    Heavy lifting in reducing only bulks you up. You would want to do side leg lifts to try to slim it down and if you use weights light enough where you can do at least 25 reps that's what will help you burn some fat. And of course healthy eating
    Disagree. Bulking happens on calorie surpluses not deficits. Side leg lifts work the abductors, but working them directly doesn't slim them down.
    Slimming down comes from calorie deficit, not trying to spot exercise the area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

@ninerbuff So let me see if I'm clear on this: Fluid pump, referenced by another poster, is just temporary, right? I ask because I am currently doing a lot of reps with smaller weights and bodyweight workouts, but I'm trying to lose weight and inches.
    When you work out a specific area (say biceps for instance), they get "pumped up" from all the blood being forced in the area. This is temporary and subsides after the workout.
    Doing low weights with lots of reps builds muscular endurance. Again weight loss comes down to consistency with deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Okay, thanks. I am in a caloric deficit and losing at a good pace, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing for my fitness goals.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    rollerblading
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love that even after losing so much weight, I still have me some hips! No butt or boobs, but hips and thighs...you betcha!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I love that even after losing so much weight, I still have me some hips! No butt or boobs, but hips and thighs...you betcha!

Agreed, if I didn't have my hips there wouldn't be much to look at. My 32 B's aren't do me any favors.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Add some spin classes to your weekly schedule. I lost inches in my legs when I started "spinning" due to the amount of muscle being activated in one single class. Keep up the work with your squats and lunges. Eventually you will see the results you are hoping for. For women (and men), body recomp happens when we build muscle and reduce body fat.
  • whisperfitandhappy
    whisperfitandhappy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    personally I love my hips! I have really large hips and my boyfriend and a lot of men like them too..
    but honestly to answer you I have no idea if there is one specific way to lose hips. Maybe biking!
  • Thinn2Winn
    Thinn2Winn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Die and come back as someone with narrow hips. Seriously, that's all I got.

Great response lol :smiley:

• Thinn2Winn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I do want to say that I love my hips and the adore my hourglass figure. I asked this question because my hips do need to slim so I can follow my goal of joining the military. But again great responses and I'll be sure to try them
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thinn2Winn wrote: »
    Die and come back as someone with narrow hips. Seriously, that's all I got.

Great response lol :smiley:

:D

Have you talked to a recruiter or three and gotten the downlow (or Jlo in this case ;) ) on what you have to weigh to enter that particular branch of the service?
  • Thinn2Winn
    Options
    Yes I have talked to my recruiter and have the weight, measurements and bmi required for entry
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have larger hips. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce but I found that eating at a deficit and lifting heavy really helped to balance mine.