I have a date at a restaurant -HELP

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Glad the op found something that worked.

I feel that if someone is fully enjoying their meal I wouldn't be put off by them ordering a salad at an amazing steak place. (Maybe amazing steak place also has awesome salad) If they order the salad or chicken though and seem sad that they aren't eating a steak or burger or make negative comments about the steak/burger other people order then I wouldn't be happy eating with them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.

What if that's what she truly wants? There are some salads on menus that look absolutely amazing and are big enough to be a meal.

And what if she doesn't eat steak? I would honestly hope that you would know what your date likes prior to picking out a restaurant.

I'm kind of with Jeff on this one (unless it is truly an amazing salad).

I'm a major foodie. I love going to new restaurants and trying new, adventurous things. It's a big part of my life, so my partner will have to be open to it as well. I will never date a picky eater.

But, these differences are what make the world go 'round. :smile:

I don't see how not liking steak would make someone a picky eater. I know people who don't like pork or chicken.

I try new foods and the like as well but if I were going out on a first date with someone I'd make sure I knew their likes and dislikes. I mean, if they absolutely hated fish -- I have a friend who won't eat fish. It's a texture thing with her -- then I obviously wouldn't take them to a sushi place for dinner. I suppose that was the point of my second comment.

(Mind you, I absolutely LOVE steak so this is a non-issue to me)

I think if you take someone to a place where there is a variety of food- and the best they come up with is a ceasar salad- then perhaps- it's an issue.

I'm not willing to scrap a date/opinion of someone based one single food choice- but if meats are on the table (i.e someone isnt' vegan/vegetarian) and they go for an anemic salad at a really decent meat/steak house- it's going to raise an eyebrow.

I'm not a die hard foodie- but I know meats are a center of my meals- and I love steak- and while I get there is (esp as a woman) this issue- of do I eat a real full meal- and risk looking like the fat kid- verses eating a salad and risk looking like someone who eats like a bird.

It's totally a catch 22.. I personally run the risk of looking like a fat kid- but I like food- and I also don't care what people think of me- I'm obviously NOT fat- but still I eat like a fat kid.

Yep, this is what I meant. If you are at an awesome restaurant and you order the ceaser salad, it's probably not going to work out.

If you are a vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian or you label yourself as any kind of "arian"- even if you are really just a normal omnivore - it's probably not going to work out.

With me. Because meal sharing and exploring is important to me.

But, that doesn't mean I'm judging you as a person or criticizing your choices - it just means that we probably don't have a lot in common.

Although I might judge you if you are an omnivore and go around calling yourself a flexitarian. Because stupid is stupid.

I'm all about meat sharing and exploration too.

Which is why I guess we can't date :(

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.

What if that's what she truly wants? There are some salads on menus that look absolutely amazing and are big enough to be a meal.

And what if she doesn't eat steak? I would honestly hope that you would know what your date likes prior to picking out a restaurant.

I'm a major foodie. I love going to new restaurants and trying new, adventurous things. It's a big part of my life, so my partner will have to be open to it as well. I will never date a picky eater.

I don't see how not liking steak would make someone a picky eater. I know people who don't like pork or chicken.

I try new foods and the like as well but if I were going out on a first date with someone I'd make sure I knew their likes and dislikes. I mean, if they absolutely hated fish -- I have a friend who won't eat fish. It's a texture thing with her -- then I obviously wouldn't take them to a sushi place for dinner. I suppose that was the point of my second comment.

I think if you take someone to a place where there is a variety of food- and the best they come up with is a ceasar salad- then perhaps- it's an issue.

I'm not willing to scrap a date/opinion of someone based one single food choice- but if meats are on the table (i.e someone isnt' vegan/vegetarian) and they go for an anemic salad at a really decent meat/steak house- it's going to raise an eyebrow.

I'm not a die hard foodie- but I know meats are a center of my meals- and I love steak- and while I get there is (esp as a woman) this issue- of do I eat a real full meal- and risk looking like the fat kid- verses eating a salad and risk looking like someone who eats like a bird.

It's totally a catch 22.. I personally run the risk of looking like a fat kid- but I like food- and I also don't care what people think of me- I'm obviously NOT fat- but still I eat like a fat kid.

Yep, this is what I meant. If you are at an awesome restaurant and you order the ceaser salad, it's probably not going to work out.

If you are a vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian or you label yourself as any kind of "arian"- even if you are really just a normal omnivore - it's probably not going to work out.

But, that doesn't mean I'm judging you as a person or criticizing your choices - it just means that we probably don't have a lot in common.

Although I might judge you if you are an omnivore and go around calling yourself a flexitarian. Because stupid is stupid.

Can I still watch you shake your *kitten* though?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I hate it when guys ask you out and then don't have a plan. A guy who has an idea is always better than one who forces you to pick, IMO. Hate the "Want to go out?" Yes! "Okay, plan it," approach.

Get what you want. If you want to indulge,but not too much, have some veggies before you go. If you want to go with chicken and veggies, yay that. Make up your mind and then forget about it and have some fun. Fun is the point of a date. :)

To be fair, most of us guys expect to be rejected and we are bad at planning ahead. We don't even realize that, "yeah!" is even an option for the girl. We then will panic and take you to McDonald's and let you order off the dollar menu.
    That's a plan. "Let's go to McDonald's." It's not the best plan, lol, but it's better than NO plan.

Millions of women would probably prefer to pick and plan. Too much pressure for me. At first. Later, I'll be planning. Not at first. Just personal preference. :)
  • JoRocka

yes- yes you can.

Actually - if I wasn't so dreadfully off beat with my workouts- I was going to ask if you wanted to go out to a Girls night at the Rodizio- discount all you can eat brazillian- and they have vendors and 5$ drinks.

But I have to lift. :( like- I am behind. for realziez.
  • Alright guys, I didn't order boring food. My choices were narrowed down because I don't eat much red meat. I didn't scare him off by ordering a salad with dressing on the side and being super picky about everything! I even had a beer - and boy was it ever amazing. Another date is scheduled so I think I didn't do so bad ! As you guys suggested, I relaxed and just ordered what I wanted instead of thinking about being healthy and losing weight. I focused on what was happening and had a great time! I'm making up for it today being a little more careful than usual with what I eat and staying a little longer on the treadmill. I guess that's what it's all about; finding a balance between living and enjoying food all while staying healthy, Thank you all for your suggestions and your support!
  • PRMinx

yes- yes you can.

Actually - if I wasn't so dreadfully off beat with my workouts- I was going to ask if you wanted to go out to a Girls night at the Rodizio- discount all you can eat brazillian- and they have vendors and 5$ drinks.

We will definitely make a plan!
  • JoRocka
    smoreault wrote: »
    Alright guys, I didn't order boring food. My choices were narrowed down because I don't eat much red meat. I didn't scare him off by ordering a salad with dressing on the side and being super picky about everything! I even had a beer - and boy was it ever amazing. Another date is scheduled so I think I didn't do so bad ! As you guys suggested, I relaxed and just ordered what I wanted instead of thinking about being healthy and losing weight. I focused on what was happening and had a great time! I'm making up for it today being a little more careful than usual with what I eat and staying a little longer on the treadmill. I guess that's what it's all about; finding a balance between living and enjoying food all while staying healthy, Thank you all for your suggestions and your support!

And that's a win right there!!!

Great job!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    I would have to get the steak, veggies, and a handmade brew. Have fun!!!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    LOL at people caring what other people order at restaurants
  • PRMinx
    smoreault wrote: »
    Alright guys, I didn't order boring food. My choices were narrowed down because I don't eat much red meat. I didn't scare him off by ordering a salad with dressing on the side and being super picky about everything! I even had a beer - and boy was it ever amazing. Another date is scheduled so I think I didn't do so bad ! As you guys suggested, I relaxed and just ordered what I wanted instead of thinking about being healthy and losing weight. I focused on what was happening and had a great time! I'm making up for it today being a little more careful than usual with what I eat and staying a little longer on the treadmill. I guess that's what it's all about; finding a balance between living and enjoying food all while staying healthy, Thank you all for your suggestions and your support!

Hooray!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Gosh im glad my partner doesnt judge folk on one meal choice.
    Our first date i had a chicken breast of which i ate half, one little new potato and a bit of salad, we chatted the whole way thru and he had asked for another date before the end of the evening
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

yes- yes you can.

Tape this.

Please?
  • JoRocka

yes- yes you can.

It's tonight :( sad panda face. but we need to make a plan- you're too close for us to NOT do something at some point!!!!
    I go there regularly enough I should be able to keep up - we can invite cranquistor too- she's down that way- should be a quick hop skip jump up for her.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

LOL at an adult being entirely clueless as to what internet forums are for/about/how they operate in the year 2015.

nb; I've been on internet forums since about 2000. The only threads, and I mean the only threads, that stay on topic are the ones where guys posts pictures of tits and *kitten*. That's it. All others are usually off topic by the time people like you show up, or at about the 5th post in. Whichever comes first.

• PRMinx
    aplcr0331 wrote: »

LOL at an adult being entirely clueless as to what internet forums are for/about/how they operate in the year 2015.

nb; I've been on internet forums since about 2000. The only threads, and I mean the only threads, that stay on topic are the ones where guys posts pictures of tits and *kitten*. That's it. All others are usually off topic by the time people like you show up, or at about the 5th post in.

People answered the question though...and then continued the discussion.

I actually don't think this thread got too far off topic.
  • JoRocka

nb; I've been on internet forums since about 2000. The only threads, and I mean the only threads, that stay on topic are the ones where guys posts pictures of tits and *kitten*. That's it. All others are usually off topic by the time people like you show up, or at about the 5th post in. Whichever comes first.

LMAO- while this is surprisingly on point...

I'd have to say we stayed fairly on point- she had her date- we had a wrap up and we had a relevant side bar discussion on dating and how what you order impacts- or shall I say- CAN impact future dates.

I'd say for MFP- that's a win right there- with the exception of people coming in 3 pages later giving suggestions not realize the date's frigging over.
  • aplcr0331
    edited January 2015

I'd have to say we stayed fairly on point- she had her date- we had a wrap up and we had a relevant side bar discussion on dating and how what you order impacts- or shall I say- CAN impact future dates.

I'd say for MFP- that's a win right there- with the exception of people coming in 3 pages later giving suggestions not realize the date's frigging over.

So, I have to revise my rule of T&A about threads?

Crap.

i-has-a-sad-cat-graphic.jpg
  • PRMinx

Crap.

Wut?
  • aplcr0331

Crap.

Wut?

Ha-Ha we're off topic!

I win!!!!!!

success-kid-meme-generator-boom-delivered-the-win-c6a5e4.jpg