Weight Above Which You Wouldn't Go

Options
SuggaD
SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So when I was overweight, I always had 200 in my mind. That was the number I would never allow myself to get to. What was yours and how did you decide on that number? I'm honestly interested in gaining some understanding as to how people allow their weight to get super out of control.

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I got on the scale at my heaviest at 228. I thought to myself...I just can't get over 230! My father weighs 230 and he is overweight. What do I look like? So, that was the motivation for me. I could see it in others but not myself.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Wow...well, as a teenager, it was 110.

At the age of 45, it was 200.

I got above that anyway.

Under it now. :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    So when I was overweight, I always had 200 in my mind. That was the number I would never allow myself to get to. What was yours and how did you decide on that number? I'm honestly interested in gaining some understanding as to how people allow their weight to get super out of control.

That's sort of a condescending attitude. I really doubt that super morbidly obese people get on the scale and think to themselves "Ok, at 475 I'm totally fine, but 480 is just something that can NEVER happen." There are lots and lots of reasons that people gain weight, and there's no one mindset that can be attributed to that happening.

I'm curious - what's your definition of "super out of control"?
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was overweight even in high school. I always hoped then that I'd never go over 200. I actually lost quite a lot of weight in my early 20's. Then I met my husband and he likes to cook, and we had four children, and I found myself way over 200. I can honestly say that once I went over it was just like "whatever, I went over, hey it's not SO bad." I did not want to go over 250 though, even when 9 months pregnant, and I'm thankful I didn't. Now I'm hoping to see 199 on the scale before 2016.
  • SuggaD
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »

That's sort of a condescending attitude. I really doubt that super morbidly obese people get on the scale and think to themselves "Ok, at 475 I'm totally fine, but 480 is just something that can NEVER happen." There are lots and lots of reasons that people gain weight, and there's no one mindset that can be attributed to that happening.

I'm not trying to be condescending. I asked a question that I am honestly interested in hearing answers to. Why people allow themselves to get to 475 is exactly what I'm getting at. What are the reasons? Just trying to understand. Is that wrong?
  • ArkMom35
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    I got on the scale at my heaviest at 228. I thought to myself...I just can't get over 230! My father weighs 230 and he is overweight. What do I look like? So, that was the motivation for me. I could see it in others but not myself.

This is so true. Knowing I weigh more than my dad is really embarrassing and makes me re-evaluate how comfortable I thought I was being big.
  • SuggaD
    Options
    ArkMom35 wrote: »
    I was overweight even in high school. I always hoped then that I'd never go over 200. I actually lost quite a lot of weight in my early 20's. Then I met my husband and he likes to cook, and we had four children, and I found myself way over 200. I can honestly say that once I went over it was just like "whatever, I went over, hey it's not SO bad." I did not want to go over 250 though, even when 9 months pregnant, and I'm thankful I didn't. Now I'm hoping to see 199 on the scale before 2016.

Thanks for the honest answer. This is exactly the type of answers I'm looking for. Congrats on the loss! Keep it up! :-)
  • LAWoman72
    Options

I'm not trying to be condescending. I asked a question that I am honestly interested in hearing answers to. Why people allow themselves to get to 475 is exactly what I'm getting at. What are the reasons? Just trying to understand. Is that wrong?

I don't think the reasons for people "letting" themselves get to 475 are much different from the reasons for people "letting" themselves getting above 200...or 180...or whatever their initial "ceiling" was.

Because the fact is, if it actually were easy to just suddenly cap things and stop gaining, we probably wouldn't have gained in the first place.

JMO.

• LAWoman72
    Options

This is so true. Knowing I weigh more than my dad is really embarrassing and makes me re-evaluate how comfortable I thought I was being big.

My "true shock" moment was when I realized I was heavier than I was the day before I gave birth.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The biggest number I've seen is 270. I may have been heavier than that at one point, but I never stepped on the scales when I was.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Why do you think that people who are super morbidly obese have a weight in mind which they have deemed "too high"?

Also, you didn't answer my question about what you consider "super out of control." You identified 200 as a weight that you personally would not accept. Does that mean that you believe someone who reached a weight of 225 or 250 was "super out of control" with regard to their weight?

Just trying to understand.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Apparently around 190-200lbs for me. But it's more about how I look physically than about the weight itself. Once I get to that range I just hate how I look. I can understand why people would allow themselves to get really heavy, it takes a lot of dedication and the right frame of mind to lose weight. Especially to want to meet specific body composition goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why people allow themselves to get to 475 is exactly what I'm getting at. What are the reasons? Just trying to understand. Is that wrong?

They probably feel out of control. But also when it's happening another 5 lbs is never that big a change and you usually continue to feel about the same as last month or the month before until you realize you are uncomfortable or hate how you look or having worse physical symptoms, perhaps. But all that makes it harder to stop.

I got to 220 or so as my highest, but refused to weigh myself basically after I knew I was over 150 (which had been my number at one point).

I gained a bunch of weight twice in my life. The first time I felt like I didn't understand why or how to stop it (yes, this seems crazy now), and actually getting the number (I was terrified it would be 200, but the worst then was about 190) was part of taking control. The second time I knew how to stop it, but I just didn't care enough for various reasons. I was overwhelmed with other stuff in my life and just always thought I'd deal with it tomorrow. I was a little in denial, so rather shocked that I was so much heavier than my prior heaviest.

Why I snapped back into caring enough when I did, I dunno. Wish I understood that part better.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It was 220 back in college. Then 170 last year - when I hit that weight I went back to tracking after years of maintaining 160ish without tracking. So, currently, 170 is my "nope" weight.
  • HeyitsTay92
    HeyitsTay92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I remember it was 4th of July last year and the denim shorts I wanted to wear wouldn't button. I stepped on the scale and was 244.8. In my mind 250 was it. That's the day I joined MFP too! :)
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In high school, it was 115-120 (depending on whether it was wrestling season or not), it was 150 after my first year of university, and now it's 128 (transition to an overweight BMI, 5'0).

I've been maintaining 123-127 lately and it's been okay. Even though the difference between 127 and 128 is very little, the labels associated with BMI are motivating.
  • ArkMom35
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

My "true shock" moment was when I realized I was heavier than I was the day before I gave birth.

That too!! When I started MFP I was just 5 lbs under my 40 week weight with my fourth. She weighed 7 lbs. So at 11 months post-partum how could I possibly weigh only 5 lbs less than when I was pregnant? Oh right, because I over-ate all day long.

• soltris
    soltris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    400 was my number. Why so large? I was an obese teenager who just became an obese adult and didn't think much of it. Everybody in my family was (and is) obese and while I realized it wasn't normal, I didn't want to be fit so much that I was willing to give up the things that I ate, and as somebody who didn't like exercise I also didn't want the frustration and pain of working out, of being out of breath and sweaty and still not losing weight because I didn't yet understand that fitness and losing weight are related, but not the same thing and that I couldn't outrun my fork.

I had a scale that could read up to 400 and periodically I'd weigh myself on it, cognizant of my number but not doing anything about it. One day it read 391.0 and, for whatever reason, that haunted me for the rest of that day. I was in the 390s, and edging close to 400! Starting my weight with a 4 would have been, to me, the sign that I had truly given up on ever controlling myself. The realization hit me that if I didn't turn it around I was going to die much earlier than I'd like. That day, I resolved that I'd make it happen. 30 pounds lost later I found MFP, and almost another 100 after that this site is still helping me every day.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    My highest ever was 230. At that point, I started working on getting back down. I was at 225-215 for a while, and now I'm at 200. My goal is to NEVER be above 200 lbs again.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    200. I got to 193 and said "Woooooo, this has to stop".