Weight Above Which You Wouldn't Go

Options

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 160, but apparently its 180. And work-related stress eating is the main culprit. Once I stopped caring what management thought, I've been able to relax, make myself healthy meals and am mostly not too tired to get a few workouts in, in a week.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ArkMom35 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    ArkMom35 wrote: »
    palwithme wrote: »
    I got on the scale at my heaviest at 228. I thought to myself...I just can't get over 230! My father weighs 230 and he is overweight. What do I look like? So, that was the motivation for me. I could see it in others but not myself.

This is so true. Knowing I weigh more than my dad is really embarrassing and makes me re-evaluate how comfortable I thought I was being big.

My "true shock" moment was when I realized I was heavier than I was the day before I gave birth.

That too!! When I started MFP I was just 5 lbs under my 40 week weight with my fourth. She weighed 7 lbs. So at 11 months post-partum how could I possibly weigh only 5 lbs less than when I was pregnant? Oh right, because I over-ate all day long.

Funny! Thinking back at it now...how did I get so heavy? Oh yeah, eating about five pounds of cheese a week will do that to you. Also, weighing more than my husband who is 8 inches taller than me! Ugh!
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    155 lbs was the breaking point for me. I was probably even heavier as a teen but I didn't weigh myself back then. But having been at around 125 lbs for years and then suddenly seeing 154 was a bit of a shock. I knew I had been gaining, the clothes were getting tighter and I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable, but as I hadn't had to change my wardrobe entirely I figured I was still fine. But when I saw the actual numbers I decided it was time to do something, because otherwise in another year and a half I might be looking at 200 pounds and it would be much more difficult to come down from that.
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think a big point has been missed here in that the actual number is only relevant to the size and sex of the person. 200lb might be a massive problem for a 4'11 female by giving them a BMI of over 40, but for a 6'6 male it puts them bang slap in the middle of the normal range.

So the answer to the "super out of control" question is going to vary massively according to the individual in question. And that's just on a height/sex ratio without even considering muscle mass or frame size.

It's SUCH an individual number that sharing mine is pretty pointless as it won't be relevant to anyone else. I have a 'happy weight' window which is 4lb wide, if I go 5lb OVER the top edge of my happy weight then I do something about it before it increases.
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was convinced I was 200 lbs when I was in high school... But I never weighed myself because I was just so afraid of facing that number and knowing I would have to start to get my weight under control after I did. The highest recorded weight, for me, was 178 lbs (about a year after graduating high school), which was a relief but also a kick in the *kitten* to get started losing weight because I had been out of control for so long. I think if I ever got to 180 that would be the weight where I would tell myself I needed to get back on track, but you can only control so much.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think a big point has been missed here in that the actual number is only relevant to the size and sex of the person. 200lb might be a massive problem for a 4'11 female by giving them a BMI of over 40, but for a 6'6 male it puts them bang slap in the middle of the normal range.

So the answer to the "super out of control" question is going to vary massively according to the individual in question. And that's just on a height/sex ratio without even considering muscle mass or frame size.

It's SUCH an individual number that sharing mine is pretty pointless as it won't be relevant to anyone else. I have a 'happy weight' window which is 4lb wide, if I go 5lb OVER the top edge of my happy weight then I do something about it before it increases.

Good point.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I never really had a "I can't go over X number" mentality, but seeing a weight that was over 200lbs did shock me out of apathy. My highest weight was 213. I knew something had to change at that point.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger, the only time I weighed myself was at yearly doctor appointments. At home, I didn't weigh myself, so I had no idea that I was really gaining weight or how much I weighed. It's a lot easier to gain weight when you're not seeing it on the scale, but I had also always been overweight since the age of 9, so I guess I assumed I always would be and didn't give it much thought.

When I finally did step on the scale at home, I saw 234.6 pounds, and that number was already higher than I ever wanted or expected it to be, and that's when I decided to do something about it.

Now that I've dropped the weight and know what my body looks and feels like at each "weight decade", I do have a mental limit, and it's probably around 175 pounds (I'm 5'6"). My current weight is about 150 pounds, and I'm very comfortable here. For me, it's about being able to buy clothes with relative ease and do any physical/fitness activity without too much trouble or discomfort. :)

• ilmafirin
    Options
    I've never had a ceiling. When I was younger, I'd panic a lot over numbers. I'd look at the scale and think, "I can't weigh more than this." But there was never an idea that I was ok as long as I was under a certain number. Each time it went up, I'd just readjust and promise that that would be my heaviest. The highest I was about 205. Now that I'm older and (I'd like to think) wiser and more mature, I've become a bit of a body acceptance crusader. To me, that also means giving up the idea of one little number ruling my life and deciding if I'm healthy or not. I'm happy with the way I look and feel and I try to eat well and be active, but the number doesn't matter. I'm about 185 and focusing on getting rid of a little bit I gained when i had some depression issues, but that's not because of the number, that's because I'm trying to right a wrong that i did to myself. Charts will tell you I'm overweight, but my BP and cholesterol are great and I can walk for miles without problem. My point of saying this is to point out that some people aren't thinking about the number at all, for good or bad.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Why people allow themselves to get to 475 is exactly what I'm getting at. What are the reasons? Just trying to understand. Is that wrong?

They probably feel out of control. But also when it's happening another 5 lbs is never that big a change and you usually continue to feel about the same as last month or the month before until you realize you are uncomfortable or hate how you look or having worse physical symptoms, perhaps. But all that makes it harder to stop.

I got to 220 or so as my highest, but refused to weigh myself basically after I knew I was over 150 (which had been my number at one point).

I gained a bunch of weight twice in my life. The first time I felt like I didn't understand why or how to stop it (yes, this seems crazy now), and actually getting the number (I was terrified it would be 200, but the worst then was about 190) was part of taking control. The second time I knew how to stop it, but I just didn't care enough for various reasons. I was overwhelmed with other stuff in my life and just always thought I'd deal with it tomorrow. I was a little in denial, so rather shocked that I was so much heavier than my prior heaviest.

Why I snapped back into caring enough when I did, I dunno. Wish I understood that part better.

I agree with needing to be aware of the number before you can take some steps. Every time I've gained I only started actively working on losing once I weighed myself. So if someone weighs 400+lbs maybe they just don't have the specific motivation needed to start losing weight. For me I just stayed in denial about how much I weighed, sinc EI'd always lie about my weight to myself so I was like... "oh I don't need to weigh myself, blah blah blah avoiiid"
  • PinkNinjaKitty
    PinkNinjaKitty Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 167 and that was back in May. I weighed 120-130 most of my adult life before that. The weight just crept up and BAM 167. I never want to see that number again. My ceiling is going to be 150. I am currently about 5 pounds above that.

When I went to the hospital to give birth I weighed about what I weigh today and that is depressing as F@CK! Never again will I let myself gain like this. I hate that people tell me I look good at this weight. I have never stopped working out but as I have gotten older I see that I can't eat junk at all. I gain from food when in the past I could eat anything and be ok.

I still haven't figured out my "goal" weight. I guess I will know when I get there. I'm thinking 140 would be good. I'm 5'6" and don't want to be too thin.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight in mind, honestly. I always weighed more than my friends, even in elementary school when I was many inches taller than everyone (including most of my teachers) so I was used to considering myself "on a different chart". By high school, I'd stopped growing at 5'8" so I wasn't the tallest person around but I continued to weigh more (always over 200 lb by then) and didn't really care!

I did get a shock when I was over 300 though (just by a few pounds, but still). For about 15 years I pretty much ate whatever I wanted, and NEVER weighed myself, did not own a scale - and when weighed in at the doctor's office, I was always somewhere in the neighborhood of 260-275 (ALWAYS) so I expected that I might have hit 280 but wasn't expecting 307 and that was part of what made me serious about losing weight.

Now that I am at 169 lb, I don't mind seeing 171 on the scale occasionally but I don't want to see 180 ever again. If I ever get remotely close to 200 lb again I will flip out and get very very serious about weight loss!!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I always said, "shoot me if I get to be over 200 LBS" It happened anyway, the 200 that is. When I was getting too close to 300 LBS I said enough is enough, I'm way out of control and at the age of 45 my metabolism will just keep getting slower and slower the older I get. I have a goal weight that was set for me, I also have my own "more comfortable" goal weight. I gotta be realistic and know that I will never look like I did in HS again after 2 kids and a 150 LB gain over the last 26 years. I think some people who were thinner or more fit in the past look at weight loss like going backwards in their mind through the years to arrive at that "ideal" picture of themselves they carry around like a snapshot in their pocket. "If only I could get back to that, THEN I would be happy" There is no time machine to help us with that. So much pressure on ourselves can lead to one failure after another, and in the mean time the weight continues to go up. My life was on auto-pilot waiting to be happy and wasting my emotions on food and dreaming of that unattainable HS version of myself that I would get to "someday". Waiting to be happy will only be a dissapointment in my opinion. Living NOW can be so hard if you wait to be happy. I'm still working on that. Good luck to you all!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have a different answer to how weight gain got out of control. For me, it was being a military wife and moving every few years and starting over so many times. I gained about 20 pounds at each new base. When I was over 200 I was devastated and made changes. I also saw pictures from a recent vacation and was shocked at how out of control my weight had become.
    So far in the last 2 years I have lost 70 pounds :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't so much about weight as it was how I look.

For example, when I was 18-19 years old, I was FIT! I mean I was involved in 4 sports so at any time of the year I was playing something . . . I worked out and I was loving life. I am 5'10 so pretty tall and I weighed in at 190lbs. I didn't look like I weighed that but I did. I think because I don't have a petite frame, I don't look like what I weigh. I carry it well and so that's a tough one for me to answer.

For me, it's about how I look and the size I wear. I was also really muscular and like an Amazonian woman lol . . .

I got up to 320 by the time I was 23 so in just 4 short years of nothing but purely overeating the wrong foods and not being as active - I started university so in order to focus on my future, I just kind of had to give up the sports I was involved in.
  • livb528
    livb528 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My previous highest weight was 235. I never really weighed myself in high school but started in college and that number was shocking to me. I couldn't let myself go above that. I lost 30ish lbs twice (gained it back before). Then I got married and had several back to back pregnancies and then developed hypothyroidism which my Dr initially misdiagnosed me so I didn't get treatment. I ended up gaining 40 lbs from it and hit 260. My body had seemed to "cap" at 260 by itself and after I got on meds for hypothyroidism I knew I couldn't go above that weight. Now, I'd love to never be above 200 but I have to get there first. ;)

As for how I initially let my weight get out of control, I'd been chubby/ overweight since age 9/10. So in my mind I was always the "fat girl" anyways. Also, I had horrible depression that was never diagnosed as a teenager. I binged ate all my feelings and was horribly addicted to sugar. Life was hopeless. I didn't have the awareness or tools in how to fix my depression or lose weight. (And my parents were clueless) I knew nothing about nutrition. Now, it's very rare for me to binge eat and I have the knowledge/ tools in what foods to eat that nourish my body and how to lose weight.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    For me, it was 200. I finally hit 200 a few months back and said never again. :/ Most women are in the 100's somewhere - 110, 150, 180, whatever - but 200? That was a big digit change to me. I used to maintain 172 for the longest time and it spiked up to 198 after my fiance and I moved in together. Now it's 189 and climbing down! I don't ever want to see 200 again.
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    130 is my "time to get back at it" weight. I'm 5'3. I also rely on clothing fit a lot. I refuse to buy larger clothing simply to accommodate getting fat.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was never technically "overweight", but I kind of freaked out when my clothes were suddenly too tight and I finally got on a scale and was 140-something after being 120 my entire life previously. A 20-pound gain on someone who's always been the same size before was definitely a wake-up call.

ETA: Now that I've lost the weight, over 125 is my danger zone.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Wow...well, as a teenager, it was 110.

At the age of 45, it was 200.

I got above that anyway.

Under it now. :)

It was never 110 that would be underweight for me. It was 200 but I passed it and got to 218. I did try to lose before I got to 200 but then I gained again. doing it differently this time.