No carbs

How do people find no carbs? I'm struggling for meals and different foods!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Do you mean NO carbs or LOW carb?
    I try hard to keep my carbs low, failing most of the time.
    If I eat alot of fruits and veggies it makes very hard to keep it low carb.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Do you mean NO carbs or LOW carb?

I second this. Are you going low carb or no carb, becca? As for the different foods, there aren't a whole lot if you're truly no carb. There are different animals you could eat, but without vegetables and elaborate seasonings, you're not going to have a very interesting menu.
  • I mean low carb
  • Sjaw683
    Sjaw683 Posts: 3 Member
    Just started low carbs a couple weeks ago. Keeping net carbs around 20-30. I have found a bunch of food in the Internet. The Great Low Carb Bread Company is amazing. Also check out lowcarbdiets.about.com for some great recipes. A lot with almond flour or coconut flour. I also am using coconut milk. Snacks are fresh mozarella cheese or cheddar, avacado. GC Scandinavian crisp breads are really good too with cream cheese or peanut butter. I've made no rice sushi, and also enjoy tofu shirataki noodles (several brands). I hope this helps. So far I have much fewer cravings than before. Lost about 5 pounds. My only challenge is the calories since with low carb, the fat and protein go up. I'm trying not to stress about that though, a great book I just read is The Big Fat Myth by Nina Teicholz and now I'm reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, to help understand how low carb really works and makes sense. I'd love to talk to a fellow low carber! Post back if you like!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Why are we all getting flagged?? I'm outta here :\
  • royston_ashby
    royston_ashby Posts: 71 Member
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Carbs are not evil.

They are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    You do need to eat carbs. They are important. You can try low carb diets, but please make sure you are eating carbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Why do you want to eat low carb?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I mean low carb

Cut out or way back on breads, pasta, rice, and other grain based foods. Eat lower sugar fruits and vegetables - berries instead of bananas, above ground vegetables instead of below ground. Don't bread your meat.

Give up non-diet soda and juice and other sugary drinks. Don't add sugar to recipes.

A non-breaded meat/fish with non-starchy vegetables will usually be a low carb meal.
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    I mean low carb

So I take it you're creating this thread simply to flag people ?

I have no idea how to flag people I haven't even checked this since last night? What is flagging?
  • Sjaw683 wrote: »
    Just started low carbs a couple weeks ago. Keeping net carbs around 20-30. I have found a bunch of food in the Internet. The Great Low Carb Bread Company is amazing. Also check out lowcarbdiets.about.com for some great recipes. A lot with almond flour or coconut flour. I also am using coconut milk. Snacks are fresh mozarella cheese or cheddar, avacado. GC Scandinavian crisp breads are really good too with cream cheese or peanut butter. I've made no rice sushi, and also enjoy tofu shirataki noodles (several brands). I hope this helps. So far I have much fewer cravings than before. Lost about 5 pounds. My only challenge is the calories since with low carb, the fat and protein go up. I'm trying not to stress about that though, a great book I just read is The Big Fat Myth by Nina Teicholz and now I'm reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, to help understand how low carb really works and makes sense. I'd love to talk to a fellow low carber! Post back if you like!

Thank you this is a great help! I've found I'm consuming too few calories and quite hungry so I think your advie may be the balance between me eating to little! How long are you doing it ?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No carb as in 0? Not possible.

Dietary wise yes it is possible.

• I mean low carb

Cut out or way back on breads, pasta, rice, and other grain based foods. Eat lower sugar fruits and vegetables - berries instead of bananas, above ground vegetables instead of below ground. Don't bread your meat.

Give up non-diet soda and juice and other sugary drinks. Don't add sugar to recipes.

A non-breaded meat/fish with non-starchy vegetables will usually be a low carb meal.
    Great help thank you ☺️ especially the vegetable bit!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Oh please do explain how it is possible. What foods would you eat?

Hint: fruits and veggies contain carbs so ALL of those would be cut out.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    Carbs are not evil.

You're using the word necessary (incorrectly I think), The words you should be using are advantageous and optimal, but not necessary or even essential.

Plus the link you have put is suggesting that the brain cannot function at normal levels without dietary carbs - sorry but that's just plain mis-information.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Carbs are not evil.

You're using the word necessary (incorrectly I think), The words you should be using are advantageous and optimal, but not necessary or even essential.

Plus the link you have put is suggesting that the brain cannot function at normal levels without dietary carbs - sorry but that's just plain mis-information.
    Completely agree. A daily diet consisting of only 20-30 grams of carbs from vegetables, seeds and nuts is sustainable and healthy. I've even done it while training for a half marathon. I had more than enough energy to sustain me on a daily basis and while running races. My brain didn't wither up and die, either. I still managed to get As in my classes and perform my job every day. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Carbs are not evil.

Completely agree. A daily diet consisting of only 20-30 grams of carbs from vegetables, seeds and nuts is sustainable and healthy. I've even done it while training for a half marathon. I had more than enough energy to sustain me on a daily basis and while running races. My brain didn't wither up and die, either. I still managed to get As in my classes and perform my job every day. :)

What? are you saying your body utilized other energy sources other than just glucose alone - how is that biologically possible.
  • tennisdude2004
    elphie754 wrote: »

Oh please do explain how it is possible. What foods would you eat?

Hint: fruits and veggies contain carbs so ALL of those would be cut out.

I didn't say it was practical, enjoyable or even advisable - I would never do it.

But it's important we are accurate on the MFP forums - I know how fastidious people are with things being stated correctly.