Sugarrrrrrr

Options
Now, I understand sugar is BAD however I love yoghurt and I'm totally confused which type is better for weight loss!? Clean eating tells me full fat yoghurt is best but low fat/98% fat free ones seem best for my weight loss??? Help knowledgable foodies!!! ????

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad. As long as you are in a calorie deficit and have no reason to track sugar, don't panic over it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about clean eating. If you can work the yogurt fat in, do it. If you can't, don't.

These are the kind of things you have to look at when you review the entries in your food diary. See where you're not doing as well as you'd like and then tweak as necessary.

It's a long process. You'll get the hang of it.
  • Moiz_SK
    Moiz_SK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sugars bad if you're not burning it, & like Dr. Mark Hyman says, fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. So full fat yogurt's the better option, there's not much difference if you eat either or, it's good as long as you hit your daily macros
  • PurpleShiraz
    PurpleShiraz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Now, I understand sugar is BAD however I love yoghurt and I'm totally confused which type is better for weight loss!? Clean eating tells me full fat yoghurt is best but low fat/98% fat free ones seem best for my weight loss??? Help knowledgable foodies!!! ????

• maxwellnyce
    maxwellnyce Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Clean eating is hard to define. Someone who is eating "clean," but eats too much will still be overweight.
    Don't deprive yourself of things you like to eat or dieting will never work. Have your yogurt after working out as a reward.
    Above all, concentrate on staying at or below your target calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad, over consumption of it is. Glucose is derived from the break down of sugars and is needed for energy when working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Moiz_SK wrote: »
    Sugars bad if you're not burning it, & like Dr. Mark Hyman says, fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. So full fat yogurt's the better option, there's not much difference if you eat either or, it's good as long as you hit your daily macros
    People get fat from over consumption of calories. And if you don't think fat has calories, you'd be mistaken.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MrsHorton123
    Options
    Thanks guys for your advice! I've done so many diets that they all combine and confuse me! Healthy lifestyle and living is now the way forward, fed up with the yo yoing quick fixes!!! Thanks again! Xx
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would try and steer clear of processed sugars if I were you, but if your goal is simply to lose weight then as everyone has said you need to be more focused on your calorie intake and when you eat. try not to eat later than 9:00 if you can as your body can break down foods better during the day.
  • MrsHorton123
    Options
    Thank you! But what happens if you don't hit your calorie intake? I don't want to just eat for the sake of eating!!!??? For example I am 550kj under today!

Most appreciated :0)
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    Sugar is BAD. The sugars that we are referring to as being bad are those that are refined and that come in processed foods - cakes, biscuits canned foods and ready made meals, cordials, fizzy drinks, etc.

The full fat yogurt is fine. The low fat yogurts tend to be laden with added sugar.
    Your best bet is to go for natural live yogurts (Greek style thick) and add your own soft fruit. If you go for the flavoured yogurts, go for the ones with 3% or less of sugar in them - I was given that advice by my dietician.

Fructose is the sugar that is in fruit. This is fine as long as you eat the whole fruit.
    Lactose is milk sugar.

Sugar gives a quick burst of energy and the blood sugars quickly drop. It contains no nutritional value.

Not all fats are bad for us, and the body does need a certain mount of fat to keep healthy and to help with the absorption of the fat soluble vitamins, namely Vitamin D, K, E, A.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SamberryC wrote: »
    I would try and steer clear of processed sugars if I were you, but if your goal is simply to lose weight then as everyone has said you need to be more focused on your calorie intake and when you eat. try not to eat later than 9:00 if you can as your body can break down foods better during the day.
    Sugar is BAD. The sugars that we are referring to as being bad are those that are refined and that come in processed foods - cakes, biscuits canned foods and ready made meals, cordials, fizzy drinks, etc.

The full fat yogurt is fine. The low fat yogurts tend to be laden with added sugar.
    Your best bet is to go for natural live yogurts (Greek style thick) and add your own soft fruit. If you go for the flavoured yogurts, go for the ones with 3% or less of sugar in them - I was given that advice by my dietician.

Fructose is the sugar that is in fruit. This is fine as long as you eat the whole fruit.
    Lactose is milk sugar.

Sugar gives a quick burst of energy and the blood sugars quickly drop. It contains no nutritional value.

Not all fats are bad for us, and the body does need a certain mount of fat to keep healthy and to help with the absorption of the fat soluble vitamins, namely Vitamin D, K, E, A.

NO, NO and NO to all the of the above. The 3 of you have no idea what you are talking about especially Fuchsai. You guys need to stop spreading misinformation and go learn.

So much this!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lactose is milk sugar.

LMAO, that is quite an ignorant statement. Fruits don't contain any other types of sugar but fructose?

Not sure why you feel the need to lie to people
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If only there was a thread that explains that clean eating isn't what you think it is

Heh.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do you even science?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't know anything about clean eating. If you can work the yogurt fat in, do it. If you can't, don't.

These are the kind of things you have to look at when you review the entries in your food diary. See where you're not doing as well as you'd like and then tweak as necessary.

This. The yogurt is a personal preference. It's a tradeoff with the calories, so would you rather have more low fat yogurt or more of something else or would you rather have the higher fat? Reasons for the latter are that it tastes better to you or is more filling (which many people say, but is not the case for me). If you only like low fat yogurt with stuff added and like the full fat plain, that's another consideration.

I like both sorts of yogurt so mostly eat 2% (as a compromise) for lower calories and to fit better in my macros (I never have trouble getting enough fat and like to have low fat sources of protein available), but I also eat full fat on occasion because I enjoy its taste too. I just have a bit less of it, usually.

Try a few yogurts and see which ones you like and how you like to eat them.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The low fat yogurts tend to be laden with added sugar.

This is false. Plain low fat or skim yogurt is just yogurt also. The reason it appears to have more sugar per calorie is because there is more yogurt per calorie, because removing the fat (which can be a quite natural process and has been done since early in the milk drinking process for humans if you care about that sort of thing) reduces the calories a lot.

Obviously sugar (or fruit containing sugar) may be added for flavoring also, but that's the same with full fat.

Read labels.

This is irritating misinformation that I wish people would stop spreading. The sugar in something like Fage plain 0% or 2% is just the natural lactose.

(For the record, I think the fear of added sugars is goofy too, for the reasons explained by herrspoons, but I want to correct another bit of false information here.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, lower calorie is most likely going to be better. Though, full fat might make you feel full longer and eat less overall. Try one, then other, and see which works best for you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lactose is milk sugar.

Explain how the body distinguishes between refined sugar and natural sugar in the digestion process. Does the body distinctly identify them as different?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This discussion has been closed.