do americans, truly understand the british sense of humour

Options
1235»

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    What's a typically British sense of humour? A lot of people here seem to asscoiate it with dry wit and deadpan delivery, but a quick look at the most successful British comedies / comedians would give lie to that.
    Lee Evans / Michael McIntyre / Peter Kaye.....surely if the TYPICAL British sense of humour was as described above, Stuart Lee would be bigger than all 3 combined.
  • the_alexorcist
    the_alexorcist Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What's a typically British sense of humour? A lot of people here seem to asscoiate it with dry wit and deadpan delivery, but a quick look at the most successful British comedies / comedians would give lie to that.
    Lee Evans / Michael McIntyre / Peter Kaye.....surely if the TYPICAL British sense of humour was as described above, Stuart Lee would be bigger than all 3 combined.

I love Stuart Lee :D
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager in the 1970s we were fortunate to have Monty Python and Benny Hill on TV. I have to admit, some of the references about sports or politics were difficult to understand still most of those skits were very funny. During that time period, SNL was on along with second city so we were fortunate to have the best of both worlds.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It's great when you live with someone who gets all the different styles of humour from slapstick style to dry, to just silly :-)
  • determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    Options

I was being sarcastic :wink: lol
    lee evens :heart_eyes:
    quite gutted he has stopped :( temporarily hopefully!

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I know, I wasn't actually addressing you directly, really more the thread as a whole.
    I genuinely don'T think there is a specific British SOH.
    For every Blackadder - there's a Mrs Brown
    For every The Office - there's a Dinner Ladies
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    right then what about for food for thought.

Do americans understand the british sarcastic piss-take attitude / humour
  • determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    Options
    ^ :joy:
    I know, I wasn't actually addressing you directly, really more the thread as a whole.
    I genuinely don'T think there is a specific British SOH.
    For every Blackadder - there's a Mrs Brown
    For every The Office - there's a Dinner Ladies

lol you edited your post..... it said about "above post" ;) but now it doesn't so I will let you have that lol :joy:

• Elizabeth_qtr
    Options
    I'm British but I don't always get my dad's jokes... its more like quick wit rather than "hahahaha rofl". Sometimes I think Brits aren't trying to be funny... they mean exactly what they say but others assume it's a sarcastic one-liner :p
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Understand it? Yes, of course. It's basic. Guy A has a dead parrot but insists it isn't dead.....It's just a mint!.......Redundancy........Guy B steals underwear and wacky music plays. Yeah. We get it.

There's something funny to be found in humor from every country. The Brits just seem to suffer from comedic xenophobia more than others.

x100 (hugs you)

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how little mention Monty Python is getting in this thread. Also, Guy Ritchie? No? Nobody? No Snatch, or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels?

Also, British humour takes a while to get used to, but is hilarious once you get it. It also requires a certain mastery of the language or a bunch of jokes will just fly over your head.

If you really want a challenge though try understanding German humour – and when you get past that, try Finnish. Good luck.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot of Little Britain on Youtube.. Don't know if it's still on the air though.. I find it hilarious haha

8aJpfsS.gif
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it, but I also don't understand most "American slang" and I'm perfectly fine with that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Do I have to?
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Check out almost royal. On youtube