reboot with Juicing fast

Options
scubamaja
scubamaja Posts: 24 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
hey everyone.. I just started juicing after watching the movies " Fat, sick & nearly dead" with Joe Cross. What an insperation and it all makes sense to me. My entire life is actually a weight loss challengue. It goes up and down and up and down, more up obvisiouly. Bad choices, comfort food, too much stress and so many reasons why I am obese/overweight. But something changed in my mind setting. I want to be thin! I don't want to feel like a quitter anymore! I want be healthy and attractive. And I want it to proof to everybody and myself- I can do this! So I've started my weight loss challenge (100lbs) 4 month ago in September 2014 and changed my lifestyle to a healthy way, do the right choices, plan meals, track it with MFP, eating all 3hr and excercise daily cardio in the morning and strength training in the afternoon, I lost 22lbs in 3 month. So far so good. But I think I can improve my nutrition intake from plant food, so I've decided to start detoxing/juicing/fastening in january 2015. I want to feel healthy. There is one thing I can not let go-that is Coffee. Yes, I am addicted. But I've decided to reduce my intake from 4-5 cups/day to 1-2 and only drink coffee in the morning. So today is Day 13, I feel great, energetic and happy. I read few messages from others, that they feel miserable after 2-3 days. I did not had that, maybe because I already lived a healhty way. My goal was juicing for 15 days, but I love it so much, I will do it for 42 days. I've lost 13 lbs in 12 Days with juicing. 35lbs in total / 4 month/ 15 " since I excercise 2/day 4-5 days/week. Anybody else do the juice fast? Whats your experiences?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for being able to do it. I could never do this. I only drink water 99% of the time. I get the most satisfaction by "chewing" my calories. Just the way it is for me. I have been maintaining my loss for almost 15 months now and for me this is the only sustainable way to keep the weight off.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What happens after you reach your goal weight? Do you start eating again?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Juicing fasts are basically temporary very low calorie diets. Juicing removes most of the fiber which mitigates all the sugar when eating fruit. I would rather do smoothies with protein and whole fruits and veggies. Sorry to be a downer, but juice fasts really aren't the best idea.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I always wondered what happens when you are no longer juicing. Does the weight come back on when you go back to eating food. I applaud you for what you have accomplished. Good Luck to you
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No offense but that documentary has been shot down so many times it's not even funny. These juice fasts are a quick trip to high blood sugar and insufficient nutrition.

Do yourself a favor and stop watching heavily biased documentaries. Do what works and has worked for hundreds of years. Exercise and moderate calorie deficit.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech sucks. If the USA became a dictatorship with someone who actually had a brain, that book/movie would be banned and we wouldn't have to deal with the constant barrage of threads like these.
  • andreatilley2011
    andreatilley2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So does this mean you just drink juices like for all meals. I feel like i would be starving if i just drank juice and i feel like there is alot of carbs and sugar in juices??? Just my thought but i dont know much about health and fitness
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    That movie was complete garbage in my opinion. We have teeth because we are supposed to eat all teh foodz, and we have canines specifically because MEAT. I am all for incorporating juicing as part of a healthy balanced diet, but all juice all the time does not seem like a good idea for the long term. I often juice for breakfast, but that's it. When you return to solid foods, you are likely to gain much of the weight back. I encourage you to do what you can sustain for your lifetime, and IMHO things like juicing are only a short term fix.
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find it funny when anytime someone starts a thread about juicing or some other ridiculous fad diet, the person has just started with MFP and only has one or two posts in the forum. They think they've found some magical quick fix of losing weight that the rest of us don't know about.
  • scubamaja
    Options
    No offense but that documentary has been shot down so many times it's not even funny. These juice fasts are a quick trip to high blood sugar and insufficient nutrition.

Do yourself a favor and stop watching heavily biased documentaries. Do what works and has worked for hundreds of years. Exercise and moderate calorie deficit.

Thank you for your concern, however I am doing exactly what works for 100, even 1000 years, fruit, veggies and do excercise. The movies actually explain that very well. Loosing weight through reboot/detox your body is just a great side effect, more importantly it is the health benefits. You don't have to agree, and I can assume you did not watched the movies at all reading your comment. The movies let you think about processed food and marketing, medication and so much more. My blood sugar is fine and juicing gives you all nutritions your body is craving for to the first time. Wghat do you think how many nutrition you'll take with a hot dog? You just don't know what you don't know.
  • scubamaja
    Options
    Kudos to you for being able to do it. I could never do this. I only drink water 99% of the time. I get the most satisfaction by "chewing" my calories. Just the way it is for me. I have been maintaining my loss for almost 15 months now and for me this is the only sustainable way to keep the weight off.

Thank you, I was sceptical in the beginning too. I asked myself, Am I hungry, am I tired, Am I craving food..how is my digestion? Can I do 2x day my gym? And you should ask yourself. I was thinking, I will try it for just 3 days, than I thought ok.. 7 then 15....its kinda extend automatically...because you feel great, energetic. There are 2 things you have to consider, detoxing/rebooting your body, cleanse all the toxics and chemicals out...or you want add juices/smoothies or even more fruit and veggies to your daily meals. If you watch the movies or go to reboot with joe you can educate yourself about juicing. I love it and I am not missing anything. And by the way, it is not "hard", I am satisfied, not hungry, you can add nuts and seeds or even grilled veggies for dinner. Drink plenty of water- water flushed the detox and fat out, it's amazing. I will always juicing, it is the best way gfor me to get my veggies & fruits in. You can also do smoothies. Congratulation for keeping the weight off. Fantastic!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    scubamaja wrote: »
    Wghat do you think how many nutrition you'll take with a hot dog?

Why does it always come down to juicing vs. junk food? Pro-FSND types always use donuts or hot dogs or whatever to illustrate the other side. It just shows how broken their relationship with food is. The anti-FSND side eats what they want in moderation--with the majority of food choices generally being plant-based. If juicing works for you, great! But please do not kid yourself that you're detoxing anything--unless you're drinking your juice while undergoing chelation therapy.
  • scubamaja
    Options
    I find it funny when anytime someone starts a thread about juicing or some other ridiculous fad diet, the person has just started with MFP and only has one or two posts in the forum. They think they've found some magical quick fix of losing weight that the rest of us don't know about.

I don't know if you talking about me, but I am on MFP since over 1 year. I am not talking about a magical fix, I am talking about my experiences and like to share. You don't have to like what I am saying, you don't even have to be here in that forum, if that topic doesn't interest you.
  • scubamaja
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    That movie was complete garbage in my opinion. We have teeth because we are supposed to eat all teh foodz, and we have canines specifically because MEAT. I am all for incorporating juicing as part of a healthy balanced diet, but all juice all the time does not seem like a good idea for the long term. I often juice for breakfast, but that's it. When you return to solid foods, you are likely to gain much of the weight back. I encourage you to do what you can sustain for your lifetime, and IMHO things like juicing are only a short term fix.

I am sorry that you did not liked the movies. but I appreciate your opinion, and you are right, juicing is not a long term diet. It is to reboot your system and 'awake" your metabolism. I already had an healthy lifestyle before, thats why I've lost 22lbs before. Juicing will always be a part of my lifestyle, eat real food and stay away from proceesed food. There are so many information out there, even on joe cross website and others, how to eat after your rebooting. For me it's great, I am not vegan, I am just want to be and feel healthy.The movies gave me and so many others something to think about medication, food industry and our evolution. When you reach a certain age, you will think about that ; )
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

The body’s own detox system
    We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

There's no "Magic" Lemonade, cayun pepper and squid oil drink that will Detox your body, just eat CICO, exercise, keep hydrated and Voila, Health! :-P
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: You realize once you start eating REAL food that you will gain a lot weight back.

Just eat at a reasonable deficit, exercise and boom!!...lose weight!!
  • scubamaja
    Options
    So does this mean you just drink juices like for all meals. I feel like i would be starving if i just drank juice and i feel like there is alot of carbs and sugar in juices??? Just my thought but i dont know much about health and fitness[/quote

I will recommend you to watch both movies, they actually explain it very well. ( on netflix for free). I really thought I would be hungry and tired all the time, but I am not, the oppostite is the case. I mix juices 70% veggies/30% fruits. Now I am eating veegies I would never think off...like beet, kale and celery. My favorite morning juice is carrots, pears, ginger and lemon. mhhh soo good. If you have any medical conditions, always consult your doctor. I am doing juicing over the day, some pecan nuts in between and for dinner Juice and grilled veggies ( like bell peppers, zuccins etc) There are so many videos on youtube, books and receipes out there like crazy. I see beside weight loss, changes in my hair, my nails getting hard, my skin is glowing. After 42 days I will add to my juices salmon, shrimps and chicken for dinner. I am very surprised about myself, the processed food seems not attractive anymore, I don't have cravings at all. But what is also important in your weight loss challengue is your mind setting; replace "I can't" to "I can"! Get a vision board! Educate yourself about nutrition and self improvement, most people have no clue about how your body works, what are the emotional triggers etc. I listen to the GeorgeMethod, Tony Robbins etc..fantastic. But thats just me ; ). A wise man said once: always look out what successful people doing to be successful and copy that...thats all! good luck
  • scubamaja
    edited January 2015
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    I always wondered what happens when you are no longer juicing. Does the weight come back on when you go back to eating food. I applaud you for what you have accomplished. Good Luck to you

Thank you, that's so sweet. You have to live a healthy lifestyle. Juicing is not a magical fix as someone said. Its a reboot. You can not go back to your old habbits, the old habbits brought you overweight in the first place. You have to change your lifestyle into a healthy one, in order to keep it off and do your exercise. What you can do is intergrate juices into your 'after live', keep it balance. I always say educate yourself and get your own opinion. Joe Cross kept his weight off, over 2 years now. Time will tell how I am doing within 2 years, but I have a long way in front of me ; )

• scubamaja
    Options
    Juicing fasts are basically temporary very low calorie diets. Juicing removes most of the fiber which mitigates all the sugar when eating fruit. I would rather do smoothies with protein and whole fruits and veggies. Sorry to be a downer, but juice fasts really aren't the best idea.

That's absolutely fine. Juicing vs blending. You will find a lot infos on that. You can do smoothies as well. Do you know that you get protein through a lot of plant based food? I just learn that as well, since I am getting really deep into that topic. When to juice and when to do smoothies? Juicing=When you want to detox your body. You strip down the fruit/veggies and leave the pulp behind. You actually don't want have fiber in your system, only micronutritions, to help your body to give you the most engery. The body needs energy for digestion. So if there is fiber, it will take energy away. Smoothies= you get the whole fruit/veggies and the fiber, it will fill you up quicker.You can do smoothies and add to your eating habbits, that will nourish your body!