Deadlift grip slip...ideas?

Options

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    wipe your sweaty hands on your top/pants between reps?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Chalk. You can use it and not make a mess if you're careful. ie... use a mountain climber's rosin bag vs the plastic baggie that 99% of everyone uses. Limits the amount and mess.

Or Liquid chalk. It works great and doesn't transfer onto everything you touch like the weights when you touch them (ours are rubber coated so you see the hand prints). Problem is it's pricey. I've tried to make my own liquid chalk and it works okay but it still gets on everything I touch.

so I might break down and just buy more. It's in stock at Amazon. A bit more vs BB.com but they have it in stock
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Chalk. Never deadlift without it

Straps are fine for heavy shrugs because of the massive amount of weight necessary and grip is not part of the lift's fundamental. But, grip is a fundamental of the deadlift, and it is an indicator of both form and capacity. If you just have sweaty hands, then chalk will take care of that - it's pretty much essential when the weight gets up into the big boy range. If grip is an issue, then double overhands during warm-up sets until it won't support the weight, then switch to an alternating grip or hook (hook grip is awesome, but man is it murder on the thumbs until you get it down)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If bicep strain is your concern, use a hook grip. If trained properly it will yield the same grip strength as mixed. I only use this grip. It's double overhand with your thumbs wrapped under your fingers.

tkikzczic5in.jpg
    owowowoowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowo

which means NOPE.

Trained my double over hand- got it up to about 255.... so I have no issues with mixed.

(Stiff legged deads- one continous set with moderate weight- using double over hand- for some reaons worked WAY better than farmers walks)
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If bicep strain is your concern, use a hook grip. If trained properly it will yield the same grip strength as mixed. I only use this grip. It's double overhand with your thumbs wrapped under your fingers.

tkikzczic5in.jpg

Do this. It will take some time to get used to it. I will hurt at first. Liquid chalk is another option. I've seen others suggest this.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    fook dat, I can't get my fingers far enough around my thumb, but that shizz is whack. lol
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Just ordered more liquid grip with the refill bottle. Screw it, I like it too much
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    liquid chalk is your friend...and PT once told me also to squeeze the bar as hard as i could and kind of roll it into my grip...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk (if you want to fix it quickly)

or Hook Grip (if you want to fix it slowly and hurt whilst you do it...)

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Liquid chalk really dries your hands out even after you remove it. (At least mine.) If your man enough, moisturize the heck out of them afterwards. I have to moisturize my hands afterwards - especially in winter - my old parched skin dries and bleeds.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Liquid chalk. All the awesomeness of chalk with much less mess. Also, mixed grip is awesome (even though you aren't interested), but it's a good idea to change which hand grips which way to evenly distribute the strain to the biceps.

bodybuilding.com/store/liquid-grip/liquid-grip.html

Agree - mixed grip is awesome. If I didn't use a mixed grip I could not deadlift nearly as much.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk really dries your hands out even after you remove it. (At least mine.) If your man enough, moisturize the heck out of them afterwards. I have to moisturize my hands, especially in winter - my old parched skin dries and bleeds.

Interesting... I have crappy skin and react to all kinds of things, but liquid chalk's not one of them. I wash my hands with fairy liquid afterwards which seems to get it all off well, so perhaps that's the ticket - the right soap/detergent afterwards?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »

Yup. I might even have to wipe and reset in mid set.

edited January 2015
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Liquid chalk really dries your hands out even after you remove it. (At least mine.) If your man enough, moisturize the heck out of them afterwards. I have to moisturize my hands, especially in winter - my old parched skin dries and bleeds.

Interesting... I have crappy skin and react to all kinds of things, but liquid chalk's not one of them. I wash my hands with fairy liquid afterwards which seems to get it all off well, so perhaps that's the ticket - the right soap/detergent afterwards?
    I do have super sensitive skin too so everything I use is mild, but despite that, the benefits of liquid chalk far out weigh that minor nit of mine.

ETA: Oh I do wash my hands before I leave the gym. Who the heck knows where those barbells have been. lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Liquid chalk. All the awesomeness of chalk with much less mess. Also, mixed grip is awesome (even though you aren't interested), but it's a good idea to change which hand grips which way to evenly distribute the strain to the biceps.

bodybuilding.com/store/liquid-grip/liquid-grip.html

Agree - mixed grip is awesome. If I didn't use a mixed grip I could not deadlift nearly as much.

You can train your grip. I start with thumbless double overhead grip till I can do weight. Then I add the thumb. Then I do mix grip. My grip has got way stronger using this method.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I use a chalk that is in a bag. It is really not messy at all. You just basically rub the bag around on your hands.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk really dries your hands out even after you remove it. (At least mine.) If your man enough, moisturize the heck out of them afterwards. I have to moisturize my hands afterwards - especially in winter - my old parched skin dries and bleeds.

LOL- god- why is using lotion so hard for men- just DO IT. LOL- lizard skin isn't sexy.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

LOL- god- why is using lotion so hard for men- just DO IT. LOL- lizard skin isn't sexy.

I'm just kidding Jo (I have two bottles by my desk, one in my car, and two in gym bag and in all my bathrooms) - actually I agree with you completely. Lizard skin ain't sexy unless you're a lizard then carry on!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    elfin168 wrote: »

Yup. I might even have to wipe and reset in mid set.

That was me this morning.
    I wiped my hands on my wicked awesome knee socks and was contemplating chalk.
    So perfect timing OP!

Totally looking into the liquid chalk since I workout at home and I'm not interested in getting everything covered in chalk (I'd forget it's on my hands and touch something lol)