Getting tired of my lunch!!

Options
Canwehugnow
Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
On Sundays, I usually make 5 portions of a lunch for the week. For the last 21 days, it's been a "meat mixture" of red potatoes, 93/7 ground beef, broccoli, & carrots in a veggie broth.

I'm getting SO tired of that. It's good, but need a break from it.

I am looking for a recipe that's veggie and meat (protein) filled... something I can pop into the microwave, quick and easy. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    21 straight days of the same thing is a LONG time! Suggestions: salad, thai curry over quinoa, burrito bowls, chicken and veggies, quinoa salad, soup
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Sorry - all those things can be made in bulk and in advance. with the exception of the salad, they all heat well too.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    21 straight days of the same thing is a LONG time! Suggestions: salad, thai curry over quinoa, burrito bowls, chicken and veggies, quinoa salad, soup
    Sorry - all those things can be made in bulk and in advance. with the exception of the salad, they all heat well too.

Thanks! Those are some great ideas. I like the burrito bowl... maybe I can make a meat/veggie taco/burrito.... yeahhh that's an idea! Thanks again.

• hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in a burrito bowl recipe if anyone has one to share. I generally do a giant lunch prep on Sunday that way I just grab and go when I am walking out the door.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have made all these bowl recipes. They are all good. Surprisingly I like the Mexican Bowl the least. But I plan to try again adding more salsa, lime juice and jalapenos. The instructions leave a lot to the imagination. So read the comments for tips.

doctoroz.com/recipe-collection/total-10-protein-bowls
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sauteed cabbage and turkey kiebasa (sp?), chicken and veggie stir fry, taco salad, egg quiche.
  • wle57
    wle57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I have made all these bowl recipes. They are all good. Surprisingly I like the Mexican Bowl the least. But I plan to try again adding more salsa, lime juice and jalapenos. The instructions leave a lot to the imagination. So read the comments for tips.

doctoroz.com/recipe-collection/total-10-protein-bowls

• wle57
    wle57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These sound great but is there a calorie count for the whole bowl or lunch size bowls?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I bring leftovers from dinner. Quick, easy and variety.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use the leftovers to make a crustless quiche - mix with eggs and cheese (add in additional veggies if desired) and bake, it switches up the meal, or make stuffed peppers, there are plenty of ways to dress up leftovers so you are not eating exactly the same thing everyday
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I've done chicken salad. To add protein, I add cashews (hello fat & protein) and use Greek yogurt instead of mayo. I also throw in celery, maybe even some apples. Then I add curry powder, but you can add any seasoning that you like. Eat it wrapped up in some romaine lettuce or over a salad. I also eat it on the Hungry Girl Fold-Its (the ones that have like 7g protein and 7g or so fiber)...

Note to self: I think I need to start making a warmable lunch at the beginning of the week... getting sick of cold food.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Leftovers, yes. Apples or pears and sharp white cheddar. Boiled eggs. Beans and rice.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am so looking for lunch ideas. I've been eating baked salmon over mixed greens almonds and blue cheese for the last 4 months.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes. I'd get tired of that too!

Here's a couple of my favorites that taste great as leftovers.

http://vahuntergatherers.com/2013/09/04/chicken-zoodle-soup/

http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-unrolled-cabbage-casserole

(I add some ground pork or whatever I have hanging around for a more filling lunch quiche)

http://balancedbites.com/2010/06/easy-recipe-crustless-quiche-with-summer-squash.html

I also bake 3-5 sweet potatoes on Sundays to have in the fridge. You can bake them in the microwave but I prefer them baked in a oven.

I hope this helps. :)
  • Mandas13
    Mandas13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have made Turkey Beanless Chili, add diced tomatoes, sliced stewed tomatoes, ground turkey meat, celery, 1 squash and 1 zucchini ( large peices), alittle bit more tomato sauce and chili seasoning.

I have done Turkey Meatloaf with veggies for lunch.

I make it all on sunday and portion it out for the week so its already made and I just have to grab and go to work.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love making mason jar salads for the whole week. I never was a salad person before, but the key for me is mostly taking things that aren't that good for me and making them in a salad form...like a buffalo chicken salad. I use a lot of restaurant salads as the inspiration and make them healthier. Bolthouse yogurt dressings are amazing, being low calorie and super creamy. I try to make a different salad every week to keep things interesting.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    On Sundays, I usually make 5 portions of a lunch for the week. For the last 21 days, it's been a "meat mixture" of red potatoes, 93/7 ground beef, broccoli, & carrots in a veggie broth.

I'm getting SO tired of that. It's good, but need a break from it.

I am looking for a recipe that's veggie and meat (protein) filled... something I can pop into the microwave, quick and easy. Thanks in advance!

I do the same thing for lunch every day in a single week, but I mix the specifics up week-to-week. I like to do a whole roast or batch of my protein and some kind of steamed or roasted veggie. That usually reheats really well, and then I can alter my "sides" so it feels like a different meal.

This week is a rosemary pork tenderloin with roasted brussel sprouts, and I've been adding an apple to the meal. I'd never get tired of apples, but I could also bring baby carrots or celery sticks for the crunch factor. :)
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CaitlinW19 wrote: »
    I love making mason jar salads for the whole week. I never was a salad person before, but the key for me is mostly taking things that aren't that good for me and making them in a salad form...like a buffalo chicken salad. I use a lot of restaurant salads as the inspiration and make them healthier. Bolthouse yogurt dressings are amazing, being low calorie and super creamy. I try to make a different salad every week to keep things interesting.

Yes!!! I love the Bolthouse dressings, especially the blue cheese (my husband even likes it and he hates anything diety). I just buy a bag of mixed salad greens or romaine that I can throw in my bag and have the Bolthouse dressing to mix with a tuna packet or chicken or whatever I have handy to top the salad with. It's easy and yummy. If you have a fridge at work, you can even just keep the dressing there and you can keep a stack of tuna packets in a desk drawer.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few people on this thread and other similar ones asking about calorie counts on recipes. Do the math before you purchase the stuff to make the meal. Look at ways that you can reduce the calorie count. I eat a lot of things that other people "can't" eat because I find ways to make them healthier and to ensure they have less calories. That means instead of using 85/15 meat you've got to pay a little more and use 91/9 or 93/7 meat. It also means replacing things that can be replaced or taking out things that just aren't necessary, like cheese and other dairy products.

Also, I highly recommend purchasing either the Crock Pot brand or the Farberware brand crock pot trio. It's one unit with three 1.5-2 quart crock pots. Each one makes roughly 3-4 servings of a soup or something else. This past weekend I made healthified chili for me in one of the trio and then made two pots of skinny chicken tortilla soup for my boyfriend )he is a weightlifter so he eats more than I do). But if you are just cooking for yourself then you will end up with about 12 meals. And if you make three different recipes cut to fit in these pots, then you will have three different kinds of meals to choose from. When I cooked these three pots on the weekend, prep took me about 25 minutes total and then I set the crocks (each of them cooks on its own heat gauge) and left them to cook. So both of our lunches for the week were done. The units, btw, last I saw, were $25 at Walmart for the Farberware one. That's the one I have. I love it. And if you commit to putting something different in each one, then I think you'll be happy with the results.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    wle57 wrote: »
    These sound great but is there a calorie count for the whole bowl or lunch size bowls?

The Dr. Oz site doesn't list nutritional information. Most bowls have 4 oz of protein and veggies. You can use it as a go by and enter in the portions for lunch or dinner. A little work but worth it I promise. The Thai one is great!