Sugarrrrrrr

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Where I live, you pretty much can't find full fat yogurt to buy it in the first place. It's either lowfat or fat free. A little sugar isn't a big deal; eating yogurt is not like eating a candy bar. I would say, try to get the most satisfaction for the least calories.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cut it down. Go for the full fat option if it's lower sugar. Get your sugars from natural sources like fresh fruit and dairy. Try to keep below to around 0.03 of your calorie total in grams - eg 60g for 1800 cals.

Not to say things won't work if you keep a calorie deficit and dont worry about sugar but in my experience you lose better when you do control it, and also have less hunger!

All IMO, and based on my own experience.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with low fat yogurt. Also, not all brands are loaded with sugar.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    And here I've been eating a Snickers almost every day :(
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic don't worry about sugar. It is a great source of energy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EzRemake wrote: »

You're doing it right. Keep eating and keep lifting.

you're my peoples.

wow that's a heck of a statement- can you expand? why is it bad for us?
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was gonna join in on the very interesting conversation about who knows best... but instead im just gonna say this: Don't overcomplicate things. See what works for you. Try not to overdose on added sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cut it down. Go for the full fat option if it's lower sugar. Get your sugars from natural sources like fresh fruit and dairy.

Um, the sugar in plain lowfat yogurt IS sugar from dairy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

Please do not post as an authority when it is clear that you are not.

+1
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options

I am NOT posting as an authority. Just stating the facts!
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Cut it down. Go for the full fat option if it's lower sugar. Get your sugars from natural sources like fresh fruit and dairy.

Well I mean some yoghurts have sugars added to them to compensate for the reduced fat in terms of taste, as I understand it.

If there is a low fat yoghurt that doesnt do this and calories are at a premium that's another matter, although for taste I'd always go full fat and save elsewhere :-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Well I mean some yoghurts have sugars added to them to compensate for the reduced fat in terms of taste, as I understand it.

If there is a low fat yoghurt that doesnt do this and calories are at a premium that's another matter, although for taste I'd always go full fat and save elsewhere :-)

Oiko's Triple Zero.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    What about Maltose? That's a processed sugar! That must be bad for me too right?

Not.

Man - do you ever get the feeling that people only read things that reinforce their already incorrect opinions?

Cico and it works.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Where?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Where?

"I am not a chemist"

Oh, and to be fair, the last two paragraphs of the first post in this chain are fine.

edit: subject-verb agreement is hard
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    EzRemake wrote: »

What does that have to do with yogurt??
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

A lot of full fat yogurt has sugar added too. Most flavored yogurts have either sugar or artificial sweetener added, regardless of the fat content.
This discussion has been closed.