Alcohol what to drink and what not to

Options
hi guys
I like a drink on a Saturday night and normally have a few beers and some rum and coke!
Just wanted to know what drinks would be better for me? Thanks

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. :p
  • Skyz4dayz
    Skyz4dayz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Gin and tonic with a twist :-)
  • plumporcupine
    plumporcupine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Vodka or Gin with Soda (Seltzer)
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Switch that coke to diet coke and you are good.

I switch to vodka and water with mio in the summer to help stay hydrated.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Home fermented, dark basement aged Blackberry-Elderberry Wine.

Gotta grow some canes and bushes first, though ... and then wait 5 or 6 years ... but it's worth the wait!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    whatever works within your calorie allowance :)
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    whatever works within your calorie allowance :)

Less caloric drinks give him more calories for actual food. I assume that's why he is asking.
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Home fermented, dark basement aged Blackberry-Elderberry Wine.

Gotta grow some canes and bushes first, though ... and then wait 5 or 6 years ... but it's worth the wait!

This made me chuckle :) After about 5-6 years I should be skinny enough to drink it :)

• decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Jim Beam and Diet Coke works for me.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Beer is non-negotiable for me. I just make sure I leave room in my budget. I estimate calories as abv%*30 for a 12 ounce pour.

Lower gravity choices like session pale ales or wheat beers make it easier to have more drinks, but 'tis for doppelbocks and bourbon-barrel-aged barleywines.
  • weehogiebear
    weehogiebear Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I need to stick to spirits mostly as I have bad psoraisis should have mentioned that! But helpful advice
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Spirits? Just drink whiskey. Neat or over ice. Don't mix it with anything.

Or do rum and diet coke.

Straight liquor is surprisingly low (ish) in calories compared to many other things you could be drinking.

Best part about drinking whiskey is all the various yummy kinds to learn about.
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Be a gentleman and sip bourbon.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like to sip tequila and bourbon.

Sometimes have a cocktail (Manhattans, Sweet Tequinis, Vodka Martinis FTW).

Guinness is surprisingly low cal for a beer (when I can't fit a nice IPA or three in).

Beware the Gin & Tonic advice -- tonic is surprisingly calorific (and tonic is one of the few soda-like mixers where I really taste a difference - in a bad way - in diet / no-cal options).
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The best drinks for you are the ones you like. The worst ones are the ones you don't like. I say go for what you like and set aside the calories. What's the point of going out for a drink if you're not going to have what you want? That's what I think anyway.
  • sarahneekemp
    sarahneekemp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    vanilla vodka and ginger beer!!
  • nattyanne123
    nattyanne123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a 20 year hospitality background working in bars/bottle shops, and along the way read some facts about this. Barcardi is listed as the lowest in calories for spirits, beer is a lot lower in calories than spirits, and red wine has half the calories of white wine.
    Hope this helps.... A good one to try is Barcardi with soda water (cutting out sugar instead from coke or lemonade) you can add natural juice in like lemon or lime juice, or cut a lemon or lime and place pieces into your glass, mint can also be added if you have a nice one for something different. Hope this is helpful. :) good luck on your weightloss journey.
  • kezy73
    kezy73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hi guys
    I like a drink on a Saturday night and normally have a few beers and some rum and coke!
    Just wanted to know what drinks would be better for me? Thanks

• kezy73
    kezy73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also like a tipple I have vodka and diet lemonade ... Got too have your treats .. Also gin and tonic ...