cheese lovers

Options
I love cheese. I recently made a homemade pizza and when entering the shredded cheese I used, was totally astonished by the calories that were infront of my eyes. Does anyone possibly have a hint of what I could replace cheese with, because I am really not wanting to give up cheese. Thanks to all that reply.

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I loooove cheese too!!! When I make homemade pizzas, I premed sure the cheese first and then put it on the pizza, and the practice portion control. I also use a whole grain low carb and calorie crust, and make the sauce from scratch so I can control the calories, carbs, and sodium. Doing that also allows for more cheese ;) Previously I would just make cheese pizza but now I add veggies to compensate for less cheese. I don't think you have to give up cheese, just eat it in moderation. As for cheese substitutes, I have yet to find one that truly emulates cheese. I will warn you if you try some of the substitutes available, stand by the trash when sampling lol. Some aren't that bad, but some are really gross like "OMG I can't get this out of my mouth quick enough gross" lol.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up cheese. Just fit it into your day.
  • khol1
    khol1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my downfall - especially cheese and beans on toast... mmmm! My mouth is drooling just thinking about it.

You could try eating half fat cheese instead, not sure if it tastes the same though.

I don't know if you are in the UK but I've put a link below as an example.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=281814287

Hope this helps! :)
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love cheese also but have found I need less than I thought. Get good sharp and strong cheese and you will need less also. Then enjoy what you have!
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just put less cheese! I eat a lot of homemade pizza too and put twice the amount of cheese that I actually needed. There's still plenty of cheese on my pizza, but I went overboard before.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    bienie268 wrote: »
    I love cheese. I recently made a homemade pizza and when entering the shredded cheese I used, was totally astonished by the calories that were infront of my eyes. Does anyone possibly have a hint of what I could replace cheese with, because I am really not wanting to give up cheese. Thanks to all that reply.

I love cheese. For me, there is no substitute for the real deal.
    Advance planning and portion control. Pre-log your meal to make sure it fits your daily calorie goal. Eat a smaller portion of cheese.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use Sargento reduced fat 4 Cheese Italian Blend.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I could never give up cheese. I freakin love it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Use good flavorful cheese - then you can use less.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make it fit.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    if cheese and butter (I mean the real stuff here) were really a treat to weight and health, the majority of French and Italian would be morbidly obese...We are not...guess something does not add up
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Measure the cheese by weight ... it may be better than you think (or it may be worse).

Don't forget to account for how many servings are there. A pizza may have 3200 calories, but that is only 400 a slice (assuming 8 slices). And that would be a really cheesey pizza!

ETA: It also depends on what other toppings you use. If you have a lot of the popular meats (sausage, pepperoni, etc) then use less cheese. If you're doing veggies or just cheese, you have room for a bit more.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You could replace it with a little less cheese ...
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Originally from Holland and i love cheese. and miss a lot of Dutch cheese.
    I made it myself also.

The high salt level in cheese here, makes me avoid it as much as possible. An buy some low salt options.
    But yeah i miss really good old Amsterdam cheese ( its a bit like extra sharp cheddar, but riped so long that it is a "dry" cheese. It is much and much stronger)

Than bring on all the French cheeses..yummieeeee

yep i love cheese.....too much
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Like most of the other posters, I've opted for smaller portions less often, but I haven't taken cheese "off the plate" as it were. I don't have it as often, and I have only a one ounce portion at a time, but I still eat it.

My only advice is to make a time to eat cheese when you can eat it slowly and appreciate it.

My success (55 pounds so far) has been mostly in actually tasting everything I eat, and if I'm eating something calorie dense, I try to do that in a circumstance when I can really pay attention to the enjoyment I want from a calorie dense food.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Life without cheese is no life at all.

No joke if there's one food that's worth the calories it's cheese.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I-will-never-love-anyone-as-much-as-i-love-cheese.jpg[img][/img]
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I love cheese! But cheese loves to stick to my behind (and everywhere else), so I'm really trying to reduce my consumption by much. Here's a couple lower calorie options:
    1. Athenos reduced calorie feta. It has a lot of flavor and only 50 calories in 1/4 cup.
    2. Skinny string cheese (lots of brands). I have used the "strings" as topping on various dishes and use a lot less than the traditional shredded mozzarella.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I would rather die than give up cheese. Ok that's a bit dramatic. I really love cheese.

Buy lower fat versions. Low fat mozzarella and sharp cheddar are actually pretty good. Or decrease how much you eat. A 30g serving of shredded cheese is actually a decent serving size. And shredded parmesan goes a long way!