cheese lovers

Options

Replies

• phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Originally from Holland and i love cheese. and miss a lot of Dutch cheese.
    I made it myself also.

The high salt level in cheese here, makes me avoid it as much as possible. An buy some low salt options.
    But yeah i miss really good old Amsterdam cheese ( its a bit like extra sharp cheddar, but riped so long that it is a "dry" cheese. It is much and much stronger)

Than bring on all the French cheeses..yummieeeee

yep i love cheese.....too much

I hear you, I am French and I am dying here...so little choice and what is available does not remotely compare to what we have in Europe. And when I find French cheese, I pay 8 time the price....A good piece of old Amsterdam...makes me dream :)
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    You don't need to give up cheese. Just fit it into your day.

^^^ This ^^^ I too, love cheese. So much so, I ate it in all three meals today. I was still under and I'm still losing. Eliminating/replacing foods is not a long-term solution. That is why there are so many fad diets and so many yo-yo dieters. You have to do what you are going to do for the rest of your life or you are setting yourself up for failure (AGAIN for many of us). Eat good tasting food. Just eat less of it than you used to and move more than you used to. It truly is as simple as calories in/calories out. Anyone is welcome to add me if you want to get an idea of what my diary looks like day-to-day.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Life without cheese is no life at all.

Exactly.

Just use less and try different kinds.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Instead of having cheese on pizza, I take a very savory hard cheese like Sartori Bellavitano Merlot and slice an ounce of it thinly, then put it on Sesmark flavored rice crackers and eat it. It's delicious, not calorie-expensive and satisfies my immediate need for tasty cheese. Pizza is an occasional cheat meal, not something I regularly eat.

xvximo85l7wv.jpgw541jo4nz7pe.jpg
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't give up my cheese on pizza (what would be the point?), but there are ways I cut cheese down in other ways. My sodium intake tends to be low, and I generally dislike salty foods, so I think I crave cheese for the salt. I will do things such as add salsa or hot sauce to my eggs and to chicken/fish. It oddly satisfies that "salt" urge. I will also substitute greek yogurt for ricotta/cottage cheese in lasagna/pasta with no difference in taste (I add a little salt to it) and I season with garlic powder/fresh garlic. I save cheese for meals that I REALLY want it on, like chicken parm or pizza, and only substitute it for options that I do enjoy.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    bienie268 wrote: »
    I love cheese. I recently made a homemade pizza and when entering the shredded cheese I used, was totally astonished by the calories that were infront of my eyes. Does anyone possibly have a hint of what I could replace cheese with, because I am really not wanting to give up cheese. Thanks to all that reply.

I just eat it and make it work. :) There's no replacement for cheese for me. I eat it a couple times a day.

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Use good flavorful cheese - then you can use less.

This. A bit of strong flavoured cheese goes a long way. Especially the blue cheese - yum!

The only lower fat cheese I can handle are low fat mozzarella and low fat soft cheese - probably because I was never a huge fan of the whole fat stuff - so don't mind the difference so much.

I no longer eat cheese daily - but when I do (a couple of times a week), I make it fit my calories and I do it properly (full fat, good size portion) and I enjoy every single second of eating it!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    phil6707 wrote: »
    Originally from Holland and i love cheese. and miss a lot of Dutch cheese.
    I made it myself also.

The high salt level in cheese here, makes me avoid it as much as possible. An buy some low salt options.
    But yeah i miss really good old Amsterdam cheese ( its a bit like extra sharp cheddar, but riped so long that it is a "dry" cheese. It is much and much stronger)

Than bring on all the French cheeses..yummieeeee

yep i love cheese.....too much

I hear you, I am French and I am dying here...so little choice and what is available does not remotely compare to what we have in Europe. And when I find French cheese, I pay 8 time the price....A good piece of old Amsterdam...makes me dream :)

Totally agree
    But didn't want to offend anybody...lol I think what is here normal cheese is no cheese to me.
    Something that looks like cheese, and taste a bit like it lol
    And indeed the "special" cheeses here are crazy expensive.

But soon enough i make them myself again. Yummie garlic and herb cheeses etc.
    Much cheaper. And i can control the salt intake.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. It's a staple in my diet. As a rule, I stick with low- and no-fat cheeses because I'm not much of a gourmet, but if I have the opportunity to have fancy ones, I go for it.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Life without cheese is no life at all.

^^ Wise man. ^^

There have to be a couple things you just can't skimp on. Quality of life lol ... the cheese stays.
  • freckledmcdaniel
    freckledmcdaniel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I could never give up cheese. I just eat it less often and use portion control. I have a serving of sharp cheddar as a snack sometimes, it satisfies my craving for something salty as well.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, i love cheese also. I avoid it during the week and save it gor specual moments (so i can also save up my calories during the week).

Feeling a bit guilty for asking, but being ftom holland and still living there, what is cheese then if its not like european cheese? Is it more like the cheddar dlices we can place on a burger or what? I know in poland they have a lot of that kind of cheese, but i cant eat it if it isnt melted. So i am curious
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    yes indeed cheddar is big here. And the variation is less than in Holland. Also the texture is different. You can get special cheeses here that are more the same. But you pay a lot for them.

En hallo Dutchie, zag dat het koud was in Holland ;)
  • ravenzwart
    Options
    Cheddar is well not cheese..

And inderdaaf het was koud, maar we zitten boven de nul, de sneeuw is al weggesmolten en het blijft droog, dus ik ben content met dit winterseizoen!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every single day. Multiple times. Don't give it up. Buy single servings.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    ravenzwart wrote: »
    Cheddar is well not cheese..

And inderdaaf het was koud, maar we zitten boven de nul, de sneeuw is al weggesmolten en het blijft droog, dus ik ben content met dit winterseizoen!

lol indeed thats why i said to me its not cheese here. I try to get the special ones and Parmasan is pretty good more like our Dutch cheese.
    I buy small French cheeses ( i cant have much anyway too much salt in it)
    And when we are in a specialty store i always look out for the cheese assortment and what they have.

But like i said time to make some myself again. ;)
  • ravenzwart
    Options
    I never made my own, sounds nice and ofcourse opens up a world of options, like goat cheese and ofcourse herb cheese. God i got to stop thinking about cheese, im getting peckish :#
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    lol hehe
    Yes indeed i made a lot of herb cheeses and cottage cheese.

I also make my own butters ( still) i just made a big batch of garlic/herb butter. My husbands favorite.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Coming week i will make my own mayonnaise again too. :) But cheese i didn't get the rennet yet.
    But i will ;)...soon.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer goat cheese on pizza and you can get low fat goat cheese as well. I find a little goes a long way so you don't use as much.