How do I get my spouse involved? HELP!

Options
My husband says he is tired of being "fat" and "out of shape". But he doesn't want to eat the "healthy foods" I prepare; he will, but then ends up indulging on carbs and high fat/cal foods afterwards.
I'm also trying to convince him to get a gym membership with me so we can lift/workout together. But he doesn't want to spend the money.
Since I'm a beginner, I figured Planet Fitness would be a good first option. And once we get more into lifting, look into a better gym.
Any advice?
I told him $20 is nothing when it comes to our health and well being.
HELP!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. So I would lead by example. Maybe he will catch on. Best Wishes.
  • meghannhackney
    meghannhackney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Show him that it's possible, that might motivate him to join you
  • denielle715
    denielle715 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I will do my best. I'm ready to leave behind being unhealthy, and since the day after Christmas, I've been trying. Maybe he will want to join in soon. :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with high fats or carb foods. I eat plenty all day long.

Advice is to find what interest him and support that decision. If he wants weights...great. He loves swimming...boom. Likes to ride bike....help find him some pedals to spin. If he wants to do something, he will. If he doesn't there is nothing to be done. Support him if you will.
  • denielle715
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Advice is to find what interest him and support that decision. If he wants weights...great. He loves swimming...boom. Likes to ride bike....help find him some pedals to spin. If he wants to do something, he will. If he doesn't there is nothing to be done. Support him if you will.

Thanks! Maybe we can find something he truly enjoys. He was in the army (infantry) for 14 years (out for almost 10 now) so he despises exercise. And I know that high fat/carb/cal foods is ok.
    We will find something he enjoys, and of course I will support him. I've alswys been behind him 100% in everything he does. :)
    Thanks again.
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

I agree with this 100%! Every food is good in moderation, and exercise can be a good thing if he finds something he enjoys.

Good luck!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a skinny twig that eats chips and ice cream everyday. I have a very hourglass shaped body, so I really work hard to keep everything tight. When the weather's nice he'll walk in the park with me, but other than that, I can't find a spatula big enough to pry him off the couch. It's just something he's not in to. So I play my music really loud, turn on my tv and workout for 2 hours while he plays video games.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You love your husband I dont doubt and only want whats best for him, but if he's not willing to follow your lead then you must move on and take care of yourself, once he sees how well your doing he will eventually take the step..
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My boyfriend is a skinny twig that eats chips and ice cream everyday. I have a very hourglass shaped body, so I really work hard to keep everything tight. When the weather's nice he'll walk in the park with me, but other than that, I can't find a spatula big enough to pry him off the couch. It's just something he's not in to. So I play my music really loud, turn on my tv and workout for 2 hours while he plays video games.
    You and me both lady...I'm in the exact same boat! Lucky lazy skinny boyfriends....
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Get yourself going and when he sees your results and how great you look, he will be motivated to make the change. By the way, nothing wrong with PF and I can't imagine why you would need to go anywhere else later. Enjoy it!
  • timobrien0617
    Options
    Ex military guys seem to struggle with finding something that excites them. does he like to shoot? Talk to his friends. He probably misses team drills. Unfortunately, men sometimes don't want to hear it or get help from their spouse. It's the alpha male complex. Work your way around it by getting his homies to motivate. Ps: don't get caught that will be bad. Good luck!
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Show him that it's possible, that might motivate him to join you

Yep, this finally worked for me. My wife talked my ear off about it for many years. But she finally started working out and getting into shape. She motivated me a lot by getting up at 430 every morning to go workout.

Show him and he'll come around. My wife gets a lot more attention from men now, and I actually notice it. I don't want to be the fat husband (we've been together 20 years) so I want to be in better shape for her as well as me.

One thing I can tell you is that, you will never get him to do it on your own. It HAS to come from him. He might even make it like it was his idea. But, once he decides then you'll be golden.

Patience is the key.

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My advice is STOP! Improve yourself, if he jumps on great if not that is his choice. You are not his Mother.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You and me both lady...I'm in the exact same boat! Lucky lazy skinny boyfriends....

sigh....so not fair is it?

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My 6'4" hubby was approaching the 400 lb mark. He's always battled a weight problem but it seems to get harder as we get older ( mid forties). Been eating "clean" for a while ( limited packaged foods) but had portion control issues coupled with work related travel and lack of exercise, sooooo.....After the holidays I announced I was going on a diet. Since I do most of the shopping and cooking he didn't have much of a choice. Three weeks in and last night he thanked me for going the extra mile to plan meals that have been tasty and satisfying. He said he hardly considers it a diet at all! He's dropped about 20 pounds so far.

It's been a lot of extra planning, creating meals he'll enjoy and helping him to see he can be successful even when he's not at home, but worth every minute to know he feels better about himself. Best of luck to you and your man!

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My husband says he is tired of being "fat" and "out of shape". But he doesn't want to eat the "healthy foods" I prepare; he will, but then ends up indulging on carbs and high fat/cal foods afterwards.

Based on this text, you could have been my wife writing about me.

I was tired of being fat and out of shape (no quotes necessary). But I didn't do anything about it, and over the years, got more obese and more out of shape, regardless of how much my wife tried to help me. Then, in Dec 2013, I saw a photo of myself (see profile pic), and I was facing potential knee replacement surgery, and suddenly I was motivated. Your husband probably needs a similar spark to get himself going.

In the meantime, cook good meals of reasonable portion sizes, bring home more fruits and veg and fewer cakes and cookies, and get yourself to the gym. Hopefully he'll see your successes, and be motivated to join you.

Whatever you do, don't nag/harass him about it. He's got to come around on his own.

Good luck to you both!
  • denielle715
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.
    I do all the shopping and meal planning and have changed a lot of what we have been eating.
    And perhaps just going by myself will motivate him enough in time. :)
    We will see.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Thanks! Maybe we can find something he truly enjoys. He was in the army (infantry) for 14 years (out for almost 10 now) so he despises exercise. And I know that high fat/carb/cal foods is ok.
    We will find something he enjoys, and of course I will support him. I've alswys been behind him 100% in everything he does. :)
    Thanks again.

SO, I never really promote CrossFit on here because people freak out but, would he be interested in connecting with others who were in the army? If so, CrossFit is a great community for that. I work out with a lot of retired and active military and they seem to enjoy the fact that they can relate to one another.
  • pasandoval
    pasandoval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    if he likes sports, maybe playing in recreational leagues will motivate him not only to exercise but also exercise at the gym so that he maintains a competitive edge within those leagues. best of luck
  • odavies001
    odavies001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a guy I find that TV at night is a killer on both my motivation to exercise and my eating habits. I have the same problem as you though in that my GF doesn't want to exercise, so this is what we've agreed to do:

1. Change eating habits
    - Remove "bad" carbs, high sugar content foods, etc from the house (I have no will power....if it's there I'll eat it (all of it). Also, I'm a stress and binge eater....if I'm stressed I'll even eat more of it)
    - eat more frequent, smaller meals so we don't get Really hungry (I have 10 raw almonds and an apple at both 10am and 3pm everyday).
    - our dinner is well balanced, veggies (I buy lots of bags of frozen veg and steam these...no butter, some salt), lean protein (lots of chicken or fish), some starch (I make home fries....no oil).
    - Drink tons of water and teas - this will totally help curb appetite, also flushes the system, etc.
    - I've also added supplements - Chromium (herbal magic uses this to curb appetite), CLA, Multi Vitamins and Omega-3.
    - Also, we're doing "healthy" smoothies in the AM. NOTE -be very careful with adding protein powder, I noted second ingredient on mine from Costco.....Sugar.

2. Add some form of exercise (you don't need to be running marathons on day 1)
    - start slow - even just a long walk at night is a good start (just get off the couch)
    - workout at night - personally I find this kills two birds with one stone......I'm out exercising, which also means I'm not sitting in front of the TV and snacking.
    - or workout anytime that works.

As for getting your man to join you....that's a harder one. Advice someone gave me was to just go and then they will follow.....so far that's worked out okay. The other thing is to join some really basic "fun" co-ed sports (slow pitch softball is a good start.....you have to start somewhere).

It sounds like you've started to work on the eating habits....that will also be key.

Just remember....as long as you burn more calories than you ingest.....you will lost weight.

Anyway, I wish you well and hope this helps.

Cheers,

O