Only losing 2 pounds a week :/

UnknownSubatomic
UnknownSubatomic Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello
I'm a young woman, and I'd really like some help with weight loss. I'm very active, and my job is cleaning houses for people. In the past year, I was put on medication that caused me to gain around 40 pounds. I was somewhat slim before weight gain; 5'1 wearing a size 5, then after weight gain I got to a 15, now I'm a 13. I've never eaten a lot; generally 1,000 calories or less. I'm only losing 2 pounds a week, but I'd like to lose 5 pounds a week. The weight gain is embarrassing because when people gain weight, it's presumed it's because they eat a lot so I get lots of rude remarks from my family and even people I do not know. I already spend most of my time excersizing; Tons of walking and cardio and weight lifting. Also, I'm a vegetarian, and I don't eat fast food. Please help?!
P.S; Stretch mark advice?

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Ok- 2lbs a week is at the top of what you can healthily loose a week. So pat yourself on the back- you're doing good in that regards. Make sure you are eating enough to cover your working out (your body still needs fuel) and so that you don't cause your body to break down and then become injured or sick.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Eat more and open your diary.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    What you are currently losing is a sensible weekly goal for people who are obese eg have more than 75lbs to lose

What you SHOULD be losing is 0.5 to 1lb a week and you should eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day

The way you are thinking at the moment is dangerous, basically you are currently losing pounds which are made up of water weigh, fat weight and LBM (muscle weight). What you need to do is preserve as much muscle as possible as you lose ...the higher your rate of loss the more muscle you lose which means the lower the calories you get in maintenance, not to mention the crappy health results of bad skin, hair falling out, gallstones, exhaustion, mood and hormonal swings etc

Please think again and educate yourself, because at the moment you don't know anything and are in extremely dangerous waters leading to long term weight and health issues

Eat at a small defecit
    Start a weight lifting programme

You will see great results
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Being very active and eating only 1000 calories a day + the fact that you have totally unrealistic expectations about your weight loss (losing 5 lbs a week) sounds like an eating disorder/disordered thinking to me. This site is not going to help you with that.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Being very active and eating only 1000 calories a day + the fact that you have totally unrealistic expectations about your weight loss (losing 5 lbs a week) sounds like an eating disorder/disordered thinking to me. This site is not going to help you with that.

Agreed.
  • I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I'm just very concerned about my weight. I don't have an eating disorder, I just don't know much about dieting because this type of weight has never happened to me before. I'm still learning! Thanks for all the advice and positive feedback :)
  • Sued0nim
    Nobody is offended, some people here get jaded and curt fighting the fight against eating disordered thinking so I'm sorry if you read anyone, me especially, as curt

We all start to learn somewhere ...those of us who have a little more experience have also done some pretty stupid things in the past ...I'm 47, was overweight for around 20 years, this is the first time despite many many attempts, fads, gimmicks, rules and basic wrong-thinking, that I've found a programme that works and I can stick to...and I consider myself fairly intelligent

And it's as simple as calories in, calories out. Don't try to go too quick. And accept that weight loss is not linear

• trexkitten
    trexkitten Posts: 2 Member
    Don't worry about it, I myself used to eat <1000 cals most days, and not on purpose I just had no appetite due to medications. I found that once I made a concentrated effort to eat more, especially protein, even when I didn't feel like it my weight dropped quicker. Use your diary to figure out a good number for you and aim to meet it everyday, and make sure to log your exercises so you can account for cals burnt too. Do you eat eggs? They are a great way to add some healthy calories to your diet, especially if boiled or cooked without oils. My main advice would be to aim more for fitness than size, as the weight-loss will come naturally after that, and you will be less susceptible to fluctuations.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Trying to lose 5 lbs a week is unrealistic at your weight - you also need to give your skin and connective tissue time to adjust. If you are concerned about stretch marks losing at a slower rate will help.
    Take your time, don't listen to the rude comments, you got this.
  • You are doing great. Keep up the good work. Be aware of how much you move too. I was pleased to know how many calories 15 minutes of stretching will burn. It is easy work, feels good, and is gentle and kind to your body. Take it slow. It didnt come on five lbs per week, so be fair to yourself and dont expect it to come off at that rate. I would ne thrilled with that progress, over several weeks it will add up. Your muscles will start to build and recontour and you will be so happy to see yourself changing...literally meltinh away. Keep looking at the end goal, dont stop. You WILL reach your goal!! Good luck.
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2015
    You are doing great. Keep up the good work. Be aware of how much you move too. I was pleased to know how many calories 15 minutes of stretching will burn. It is easy work, feels good, and is gentle and kind to your body. Take it slow. It didnt come on five lbs per week, so be fair to yourself and dont expect it to come off at that rate. I would ne thrilled with that progress, over several weeks it will add up. Your muscles will start to build and recontour and you will be so happy to see yourself changing...literally meltinh away. Keep looking at the end goal, dont stop. You WILL reach your goal!! Good luck.

@lesliejoybates‌ how many calories do you think that is? Because it's not many (probably around 20) - please don't go by MFP database - cut it in half - it overestimates
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    I wish I was still losing 2lbs a weeks :P I'm currently at a low weight so my process has slowed by a lot! only losing 0.5lbs or less a week :( .. It's not just going to fall off unfortunately, we all wish!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    It's very rare that someone would put on that much weight only eating 1000 calories without a medical condition.

Do you weigh and measure all your food...perhaps you are eating more that you think.

If you are now eating less to lose weight, how many calories are you actually eating?
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Losing 5 lbs a week is extremely unhealthy. Even 2 lbs a week for someone with only 40 pounds to lose could be a bit extreme. Eat a minimum of 1200 calories and be patient.
    Losing that weight will not end up being worth it if you damage your health in the process
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You say you have never eaten a lot yet have 100 pounds to lose? That you're eating less than a 1000 calories a day.....sorry I smell a troll
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You say you have never eaten a lot yet have 100 pounds to lose? That you're eating less than a 1000 calories a day.....sorry I smell a troll
    So sad you folks don't even bother to read the posts anymore. Just scan the title and copy/paste the troll comments.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited January 2015
    cerad2 wrote: »
    So sad you folks don't even bother to read the posts anymore. Just scan the title and copy/paste the troll comments.

I don't know who "you folks" are, but if you read her profile it says she has 100 pounds to lose and she just stated she doesn't eat over 1000 calories. One does NOT gain unless they are eating in a surplus. That does not happen if you are eating under 1000 calories. Additionally, if she is losing "only two pounds a week", why does her profile say 0 lost?
    ALSO THIS is a picture of Katherine Morris from COLD CASE looks just like the OP doesn't it>???
    ko1i0xpl407f.jpg
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    cerad2 wrote: »

I don't know who "you folks" are, but if you read her profile it says she has 100 pounds to lose and she just stated she doesn't eat over 1000 calories. One does NOT gain unless they are eating in a surplus. That does not happen if you are eating under 1000 calories. Additionally, if she is losing "only two pounds a week", why does her profile say 0 lost?
    ALSO THIS is a picture of Katherine Morris from COLD CASE looks just like the OP doesn't it>???
    ko1i0xpl407f.jpg

I never watched that show. Is it any good?