Vinegar for weight-loss

Options

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fad to me. And a rather unpleasant one at that.

Personally, when calories are so precious to fuel my body, I want every single one to have a variety of nutrients and to taste wonderful.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    someone at work was doing that, and was drinking so much of it, it was coming out of his pores. No one wanted to sit next to him because he stunk from it.

Classic!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Vinegar kills bacteria and would kill all those beneficial bacteria in your gut. You would have to conclude your vinegar experiment with a yogurt cleanse.

Do you have a source for this? From everything I've read, vinegar and other fermented foods are good for the gut.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're going to be nuts enough to try this, at least have the good sense to dilute the vinegar first. Otherwise you're asking to burn your esophagus, which I assure you will help you lose weight because you won't be able to eat properly. But seriously, just eat less of everything you normally eat.
  • klatonic2014
    Options
    I actually make a salad dressing with apple cider vinegar and it tastes very good. Just mix one part apple cider vinegar to 1 part of olive oil, add salt (to taste) and a little bit of agave (if you need it). I use honey to give it sweetness. :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the woo. That being said, Apple cider vinegar makes a great hair rinse, and its the only thing that allows me to be able to comb through my daughter's curly hair.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I tried apple cider vinegar once after I read it would help with constipation.
    It didn't, and I felt queasy and lost my appetite, because it tasted so nasty, even after diluting it with water.
    Perhaps that's the secret-eat crap that upsets your stomach and makes you sick-you'll lose weight because you can't eat!
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I actually make a salad dressing with apple cider vinegar and it tastes very good. Just mix one part apple cider vinegar to 1 part of olive oil, add salt (to taste) and a little bit of agave (if you need it). I use honey to give it sweetness. :)

Now THAT I might have to try.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this sound disgusting and has got to be trolling...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    According to the USDA cider vinegar only has 50 calories per cup, so I suppose if you were drinking it instead of eating other foods, you'd reduce your calorie intake.

have fun with the stomach ulcers from consuming 1000 calories a day of vinegar..

that makes me sick just typing it...
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I tried apple cider vinegar once after I read it would help with constipation.
    It didn't, and I felt queasy and lost my appetite, because it tasted so nasty, even after diluting it with water.
    Perhaps that's the secret-eat crap that upsets your stomach and makes you sick-you'll lose weight because you can't eat!

My MIL swears that it got rid of her GERD. But she also swears that coconut oil 'burned the fat' right off of her. I'm highly sceptical of anything that she tries. Pretty sure she's currently on a 'liver cleanse' -_-
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    9L9bOKF.gif
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Do you like vinegar? Then by all means, drink it. If you don't, then avoid it. Either way, it won't have any bearing on your weight loss whatsoever.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    can__t_broken__work_doesn__t_brain_by_greythewanderer-d4xqt2r.jpg
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Agreed... much better as a salad dressing!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar works great on pork .. other than that nope
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "The only study to test the idea in people was done in Japan. In the study, 175 obese but healthy people took either vinegar or water daily for 12 weeks. Their diets were similar. They kept food journals. At the end of the study, those who used vinegar had lost slightly more weight. On average, the vinegar group lost 1-2 pounds over the 3-month period. They gained it all back after the study was over." WebMD

I lost 20 pounds over a three-month period by counting calories.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I've read about people taking Apple cider vinegar, tried it once it was awful. But would be curious to know if it works!

dafuq.gif

spoiler alert: no.