85lbs down and now stuck!

Options
2»

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your body is assuming you're starving to death. I would switch to maintenance calories and go back to losing once you stop gaining (because you will gain at maintenance if your body is in starvation mode). It could take a few weeks or even a few months for your metabolism to reset itself. If you just keep cutting calories and increasing exercise, you're going to screw your thyroid up permanently.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less - try eating a little bit more. Maybe 1300 calories. Do HIIT workouts if you're not already, and make sure you're strength training.

Congrats on the 85 lbs loss so far, that's amazing!
  • webwilson108
    webwilson108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss so far. To discourage my body from adapting I try to change up the calories. Higher for some days and lower for others. Hope you breakthrough soon.
  • Pentink
    Pentink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more! Congrats on the weight loss, fantastic and amazing! But unless you're a bird, or 5 foot and 100 pounds, you can't subsist on 1000/day. Your body likely is starting to conserve energy because it's learned that you aren't taking in enough calories. A Catch-22 it seems, but it is the nature of body mechanics. It will also help to add more exercise - and to get to breathless. 10 minutes every other day is a start, but can you get that to 20 minutes, or 10-15 every day (always take a day off in the week from intense exercise). And that exercise should get you in a sweat, get your heart rate up, no nice pedal while watching a TV show or reading a magazine. Increasing your muscle mass and aerobic capacity will naturally burn more calories. Soon you'll be exercising 30 minutes a day, eating 1800 calories and still losing weight and looking great!!
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone - especially those who have been in the same position and I will try to keep at it and hope the loss will start again soon. I will eat up to my calorie goal and will try to increase my exercise as much as I can. You have all been a great support - despite the conflicting advice!!!