Fat loss without excersize?

Options
Hi, I am 5'2 weighing in at 162lbs with an initial goal of 150lbs and ultimate goal of 140lbs.

I want to loose the extra pounds purely with diet change - I also am not keen on calorie counting because I personally think I may become obsessed and when it comes to maintaining I might have given myself a problem.
I was wondering if anyone has/is loosing weight purely with diet changes?
Thankyou!

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No-S Diet.

It'll be glacially slow, but it will work.

I did lose weight doing it, but calorie counting is much faster for me.

(And I never abstain from exercise. I have a depression problem, and I find working out is the mood regulator that works best for me)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    you don't want to count calories or exercise? good luck. i doubt you can do it and keep it off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You can but it's no guarantee. Aim to get fruits, veggies, fish and lean proteins to start. Exercise makes it easier as you will burn more calories.

And you don't need formal exercise, just try to walk more (steps, park further away, etc..)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason you think you'll become "obsessed"?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    xxteeleexx wrote: »
    Hi, I am 5'2 weighing in at 162lbs with an initial goal of 150lbs and ultimate goal of 140lbs.

I want to loose the extra pounds purely with diet change - I also am not keen on calorie counting because I personally think I may become obsessed and when it comes to maintaining I might have given myself a problem.
    I was wondering if anyone has/is loosing weight purely with diet changes?
    Thankyou!

It's entirely possible and many have done it. I recommend only inputting 0.5 lbs per week weight loss. So you can keep your calories as high as possible and it allows you to eat at much as possible.

For some added food to eat, general health and muscle retention, cardio and resistance training is recommended.

Oh and if you're not exercising, you're going to have to count calories. So stop being lazy about it and track accurately and honestly. If you want to use the site well, you have to do it.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sure, you should be able to do it, if your total caloric intake goes down. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound, though. So, say you switch things around enough to consume 500 calories less a day, it will take, on average, 2-3 months to lose 10 pounds. If you're not seeing results over that amount of time, you might find you'll need to move more, ( exercise) and/or track your caloric intake.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    So you don't want to exercise or track your diet - maybe throw a penny in the wishing well at the mall and hope the weight magically disappears?
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you're not looking to count calories, a couple of things that might help are eating slowly and mindfully, stopping eating when you're about 80% full, and adding in extra fruit and veg into your meals.

It is definitely possible - I lost about 22 kg a few years back without counting calories or exercising before I discovered MFP or knew too much about nutrition.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I lost weight prior to counting calories or discovering myfitnesspal, but I always gained it back.

I find that I don't really have to log anymore in order to maintain after I used the site to lose the weight, but I did have to log prior to losing the weight.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Actually I read the title again. WEIGHT loss w/o exercise? Possible. FAT loss w/o exercise? Possible. But you're going to also accept muscle loss too if you aren't willing to exercise/lift
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

You go to a calorie counting website to ask for non-calorie counting weightloss tips? OK...

There are lots of diets and systems you can follow that don't make you count calories yourself; most other services provide diet plans that you just have to follow. I personally prefer the freedom of MFP (duh), but other than that I like the 21 Days Fix because it seems to have a healthy approach and teaches proper (just a bit tight) portion control using real food. Just remember that you'll have to eat less (and move more, if you prefer) than before to lose weight, no matter what regime you choose. Good luck!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs in 3mths with no exercise. I do however count my calories, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue how much or how little I was eating
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 25 or so pounds without counting calories. I just changed the way I ate--a lot more fresh fruits and veggies and a lot fewer grains and sugary treats. Once I stalled doing that, I switched over to calorie counting. I was exercising pretty much the whole time though.
  • xxteeleexx
    xxteeleexx Posts: 10 Member
    Options

bw_conway wrote: »
    So you don't want to exercise or track your diet - maybe throw a penny in the wishing well at the mall and hope the weight magically disappears?

Thankyou for your answer, although I really wasn't looking for smart *kitten* comments, but genuine ones. Thanks.
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason you think you'll become "obsessed"?

Because I am wondering how I will transition from loosing with tracking calories and then maintaining without. In other words I believe intuitively is better, because it comes naturally and can be more sustainable?
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can but it's no guarantee. Aim to get fruits, veggies, fish and lean proteins to start. Exercise makes it easier as you will burn more calories.

And you don't need formal exercise, just try to walk more (steps, park further away, etc..)

Thank you for the advice I agree with that, a clean diet would be foundation as they are natural and unprocessed!
    Driagnor wrote: »
    If you're not looking to count calories, a couple of things that might help are eating slowly and mindfully, stopping eating when you're about 80% full, and adding in extra fruit and veg into your meals.

It is definitely possible - I lost about 22 kg a few years back without counting calories or exercising before I discovered MFP or knew too much about nutrition.

That's amazing, well done for that. I also agree with the fullness I'm trying to work on that at the moment
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Yeah, I lost weight prior to counting calories or discovering myfitnesspal, but I always gained it back.

I find that I don't really have to log anymore in order to maintain after I used the site to lose the weight, but I did have to log prior to losing the weight.

How did you handle the transition from logging to maintaining and not logging anymore, did any weight creep back on?
    I've lost 24lbs in 3mths with no exercise. I do however count my calories, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue how much or how little I was eating

I see, I guess it can be done then I just wanted to hear from people on here that have done it!
    jemhh wrote: »
    I lost the first 25 or so pounds without counting calories. I just changed the way I ate--a lot more fresh fruits and veggies and a lot fewer grains and sugary treats. Once I stalled doing that, I switched over to calorie counting. I was exercising pretty much the whole time though.

That sounds similar to what I have done and reading the comments I have kinda come to the conclusion that I should give calorie counting a chance, I just don't know how to transition to not counting and keeping the weight off.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    You posting from a mobile phone or Ipad?
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting/tracking is an eye-opener to what your eating habits are. I'd recommend a scale to weigh food also. Can get one at Walmart for around $12. Yes, it sounds obsessive, but almost EVERYONE underestimates what they eat if just guessing. Honestly, if you are determined to lose some weight and improve your health, you have to become a bit more vigilant and "obsessive" about what/how you eat. And if you're putting in the effort, some form of exercise such as simply walking will enhance it. Not trying to be "smart-a**ed", but if you come up with worries and make a resolve of things you DONT want to do, it can keep you from seeing the things you WANT to accomplish. Give it a try and work the positives into your routines. You are the only one that can stop or succeed in your progress. Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    At that height... it will be difficult to lose and maintain 1200 calories or more. Exercise does not have to be "exercise"... Find some activity that you like to do and it can be fun.. Just move. Much easier that way.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    So, you want this to entail no involvement from you? Unfortunately, there isn't any magic way to lose weight.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »

Thankyou for your answer, although I really wasn't looking for smart *kitten* comments, but genuine ones. Thanks.

Yeah, it was a smartass answer, but really - it sounds like you want to get results without working for it. I think your likelihood of success would be much greater if you did the things that people who are successful at getting fit do: exercising and calorie counting.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Caloric deficit leads to fat loss. Exercise is good for you because it improves circulation, mental health, cardiovascular health, bone density, flexibility etc. etc. You should exercise because it's good for you but diet is the key to weight loss.

Also with regard to calorie counting you can achieve a caloric deficit without counting but you won't know what it is without counting so you won't be certain you're achieving a caloric deficit. However you could probably write up a meal plan and estimate your calories in advance and as long as you stick to that you may see success.