opinions please! This the ONLY issue/concern I have with eat

Options
2»

Replies

• ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Options
    Agreed, but it might not be smart to eat a bunch of extra calories at night just before sleeping. I

Why?
    Oh so u must mean that my doctor who told me i've gained muscle and lost weight from NOT EATING MY CALORIES BACK waas wrong? are you a doctor? no didn't think so

Yes, that is wrong. If you eat approximately at your maintenance calories, you can remain about the same weight but change your body composition to have less fat and more muscle. If you eat at a deficit, you are unlikely to gain any muscle.

I just mean that binging is never a good idea. Stuffing yourself just to reach a number will only stretch out your stomach and even make you sick. If it's a small amount then sure, but personally I get sick if I eat too much before laying down. And if I binge it'll be a week before my body readjusts to tiny meals again. Usually to not eat a large meal to make up those calories we try and eat something high in calories which might not always be the healthy option. Unless it's peanut butter. I'd just carry some over to the next day if it was that bad. Just my opinion. Don't want to start a fight on here :P
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Please, folks... Read these threads to understand how MFP was designed. It is NOT like other counters/plans. Other plans use your exercise to create your deficit, spreading the burns out over the week and keeping your deficit stable.

MFP creates a built in deficit, based on your chosen loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. It is designed to help you lose weight whether you exercise or not. It adds cals back in to keep that deficit stable, and therefore your loss stable and sustainable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs

YES! (took me 2 weeks when I joined to figure this out because I wasn't paying that much attention, lol) MFP has built in deficit- she is not wrong you do need deficit BUT MFP ALREADY HAS ONE- thanks for clarifying this!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would allow myself a little extra during each meal tomorrow to make up for it. I don't think your body just shoves aside what happens today and starts new tomorrow. The calorie door doesn't just swing shut when you go to sleep. At least, I don't think so. I DO think it is a bad idea to cram 900 calories before bed. Nightmares and indigestion are two consequences I see to that. Maybe have a light snack and make for the rest tomorrow. What a nice day tomorrow will be with a little extra! :happy:
  • ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Options
    If it were me, I would allow myself a little extra during each meal tomorrow to make up for it. I don't think your body just shoves aside what happens today and starts new tomorrow. The calorie door doesn't just swing shut when you go to sleep. At least, I don't think so. I DO think it is a bad idea to cram 900 calories before bed. Nightmares and indigestion are two consequences I see to that. Maybe have a light snack and make for the rest tomorrow. What a nice day tomorrow will be with a little extra! :happy:

Exactly! You said it so much better than I did lol :drinker:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Anyway, as to the original question:

If you feel it's becoming a habit to exercise more than you provide fuel for - you simply have to make a choice. If you're not fueling properly on a regular basis, you'll likely end up burning muscle. So if that's not ok to you, then you either need to eat more or exercise less. Not really any way around that.

One thing to note is that you CAN overtrain - there's a point beyond which you get very little health benefit from exercise. 3-4 hours a day won't do any good from a health, weight or strength standpoint.

Remember that you don't necessarily have to increase volume a lot to increase cals in a healthy way. Spread the cals out over the day. Add just 25-50 cals more per meal/snack - it adds up. Increase healthy fats - natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters, avocado. Try drinking more cals - chocolate milk, protein shake, fruit smoothie; sometimes it's easier to drink more even when you aren't hungry.

Generally, most people find that within a week they adapt to a higher intake; and as your metabolism speeds up, your appetite will increase.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This thread is a trainwreck.
    Yup....it is.....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but it might not be smart to eat a bunch of extra calories at night just before sleeping. I

Why?
    Oh so u must mean that my doctor who told me i've gained muscle and lost weight from NOT EATING MY CALORIES BACK waas wrong? are you a doctor? no didn't think so

Yes, that is wrong. If you eat approximately at your maintenance calories, you can remain about the same weight but change your body composition to have less fat and more muscle. If you eat at a deficit, you are unlikely to gain any muscle.

I just mean that binging is never a good idea. Stuffing yourself just to reach a number will only stretch out your stomach and even make you sick. If it's a small amount then sure, but personally I get sick if I eat too much before laying down. And if I binge it'll be a week before my body readjusts to tiny meals again. Usually to not eat a large meal to make up those calories we try and eat something high in calories which might not always be the healthy option. Unless it's peanut butter. I'd just carry some over to the next day if it was that bad. Just my opinion. Don't want to start a fight on here :P

If you exercise int he evening you should estimate your calorie burn and work those earned calories into your meals and snacks earlier in the day. If you are doing any strength training, which you should be, you should be drinking a whey protein shake (as long as you're not lactose intolerant) after your workout to help your muscles recover and repair themselves faster. That will take up 200-400 calories depending on the brand and what you make it with. Adding in the exercise calories really isn't that difficult, but I agree you shouldn't try to cram them all in right before bed.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there are NO rules that says you MUST eat those back..all that is, is just a bunch of bunk thrown around the diet world. its all based on what someone else said. like many other myths thrown around with little to no truth or science behind them.

you just need to go on what your body tells you. we are ALL different. if you dont feel like eating those back, dont. dont force feed yourself, this can make you feel sick, bloated and tired. plus..we tend to over estimate the amount we burn, and under estimate the amount we take in..so to stay on the safe negative side dont eat back.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

Why?
    im gunan trust my doctor over some random person on the internet

Yes, that is wrong.

It's difficult enough to build new muscle tissue when you're eating at a calorie surplus, it's next to impossible to do when you're eating at a calorie deficit. When you're eating at a deficit, especially if you aren't eating your exercise calories back, your body simply doesn't have the amount of extra "materials" (nutrients, amino acids, etc.) to build new muscle tissue.

If you think about it logically, it's very simple to understand. In order to lose weight/burn fat you need to consume less. Conversely, in order to build new tissue you need to consume more. You can't make new tissue with less coming in, there just won't be anything for your body to use.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    there are NO rules that says you MUST eat those back..all that is, is just a bunch of bunk thrown around the diet world. its all based on what someone else said. like many other myths thrown around with little to no truth or science behind them.

you just need to go on what your body tells you. we are ALL different. if you dont feel like eating those back, dont. dont force feed yourself, this can make you feel sick, bloated and tired. plus..we tend to over estimate the amount we burn, and under estimate the amount we take in..so to stay on the safe negative side dont eat back.

No, it is not a "rule".... but it is logic based on how this website is designed (and has nothing to do with the "diet world" - and in fact works quite differently than most of that world.) A moderate deficit provides for healthy weight loss. Eating at least some of the exercise cals is the way to achieve a moderate deficit.

Most people who are relatively new to this site have NO idea how to listen to their bodies. If they did, they wouldn't be in the situation they're in. Most people who are at an unhealthy weight cannot rely on appetite or hunger cues to determine when or how much to eat - their bodies have adapted to bad habits and no longer send reliable hunger or satiety cues.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

What is "bunk"?
  • NoAdditives
    Options

No, it is not a "rule".... but it is logic based on how this website is designed (and has nothing to do with the "diet world" - and in fact works quite differently than most of that world.) A moderate deficit provides for healthy weight loss. Eating at least some of the exercise cals is the way to achieve a moderate deficit.

Most people who are relatively new to this site have NO idea how to listen to their bodies. If they did, they wouldn't be in the situation they're in. Most people who are at an unhealthy weight cannot rely on appetite or hunger cues to determine when or how much to eat - their bodies have adapted to bad habits and no longer send reliable hunger or satiety cues.

EXACTLY! Hunger signals are subjective. You can eat much less than your body actually requires and if you do it for long enough your body adjusts and doesn't send hunger signals because it doesn't expect food. And in the opposite situation, if you're used to eating much more than your body needs you'll get hunger signals more often because your body is used to getting so much food, even if it doesn't need it.

A lot of people here actually have to retrain their bodies to want the proper amount of food before they can safely rely on what their bodies tell them.