Sugars

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I will add that while my current goal is weight loss I will eventually be looking to tone and add a bit of muscle. I'm assuming adding muscle comes later! Haha

Start now!! Don't wait!! Lift heavy!! ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for the information. I will admit I was one of those people that thought weight loss would be halted if you had a high sugar intake. You hear so much about how sugars are bad it can be misleading. I'm trying to meet all my nutrient needs while staying low in calories. Would anyone mind looking at my nutrient intake for today and give insight on how I'm doing? My diet is mainly comprised of fruit vegetable and chicken. I took in 1414 calories for the day after exercise is taken into account. bfn8in3dg1d4.jpg
    I usually hit 100 grams or more of sugar every day, lost 121 pounds delicious foods. ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ok good! That makes things easier. I have 300 calories left today and I've been wondering how I was going to make up for that.

The WHO's recommendation is something like 25 grams or less from added sugar (i.e., you wouldn't count sugar inherent in fruits, veggies, dairy). Even that is mostly because eating lots of the types of foods that tend to have lots of added sugar (desserts) means adding lots of calories and few nutrients, so it's common for people who eat a lot of them to end up eating lots of excess calories or not getting enough nutrients (according to WHO's reasoning). It's largely a way to check yourself and avoid too many calories/too few nutrients when you aren't already tracking those things.

Since we do check those things, I always recommend maybe tracking sugar for a little while to make sure you understand where your sugar is coming from, and then switching it out for fiber. Fiber is useful because it's a nice thing to get enough of, and also because it tends to be found in foods like fruits and veggies (among others) which have both sugar and lots of nutrients. Chances are if you are under your carb goal AND getting enough fiber that you are aren't eating an excess amount of added sugar.

This is all about nutrition, though. For weight loss the amount of sugar you eat really doesn't matter unless you end up too hungry because foods with lots of added sugar are perceived by many (not everyone) to be less filling.

Yes to all of this.

My added sugar intake is usually around 25-30 grams, but there have been times during weight loss mode that it was much higher.

If you (or the lurkers) are interested, here are some good reads about sugar:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism

http://admin.sweetenerstudies.com/sites/default/files/resources/files/Scientific-Review-of-Lustigs-Fat-Chance.pdf

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29126872

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutterworth/2014/02/06/sweet-and-sour-the-media-decided-fructose-was-bad-for-america-but-science-had-second-thoughts/
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    62 g is not bad. The daily recommendation when you don't want to lose weight is about 90 g for average adult. Natural sugars in fruit are wonderful but in my opinion if you really want to see dramatic weight reduction you might consider limiting your fruit intake and see the effect it has on your body-everybody is different. Perhaps try for a week? Also, I would consider having my fruits in the first half of the day and limiting at the evening. Hope this helps!

This is terrible advice...

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I will add that while my current goal is weight loss I will eventually be looking to tone and add a bit of muscle. I'm assuming adding muscle comes later! Haha

Start now!! Don't wait!! Lift heavy!! ;)

Definitely don't wait. I waited and I regret it-- it's MUCH harder to build muscle back once you've lost it than it is to keep what you already have.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ok awesome! Thanks so much for the help guys. I've kinda just been "going with it" an making my own routine instead of following any pre packaged one. Just coming up with my own routine so I'm figuring things out on my own. Last question, I promise, since I'm going to start trying to add muscle what should my protein intake look like?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ok awesome! Thanks so much for the help guys. I've kinda just been "going with it" an making my own routine instead of following any pre packaged one. Just coming up with my own routine so I'm figuring things out on my own. Last question, I promise, since I'm going to start trying to add muscle what should my protein intake look like?

I'd aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. So if you know your body fat percentage it's easy to figure, for example:

My weight: 125
    My body fat: 18%
    So my lean mass would be 125 x 82% = 102.5

Alternately you could do .8 grams of protein per pound of weight, but the first way is better imo.

I'd also recommend following a program for lifting. Stronglifts is free and it's a good program. I prefer Starting Strength but that one is a book you buy. New Rules of Lifting for Women appeals to some people-- it's more complex, which is why I didn't care for it.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    62 g is not bad. The daily recommendation when you don't want to lose weight is about 90 g for average adult. Natural sugars in fruit are wonderful but in my opinion if you really want to see dramatic weight reduction you might consider limiting your fruit intake and see the effect it has on your body-everybody is different. Perhaps try for a week? Also, I would consider having my fruits in the first half of the day and limiting at the evening. Hope this helps!

I second the advice. I have heard multiple sources state the same thing. I try to follow it as well. Everything in moderation. If I ate as much fruit as I wanted to, things would be bad. Haha. And eating them in the morning is just making sure they don't slow down digestion later in the evening, I believe.
  • bettieb1988
    Options

I'd aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. So if you know your body fat percentage it's easy to figure, for example:

Alternately you could do .8 grams of protein per pound of weight, but the first way is better imo.

I'd also recommend following a program for lifting. Stronglifts is free and it's a good program. I prefer Starting Strength but that one is a book you buy. New Rules of Lifting for Women appeals to some people-- it's more complex, which is why I didn't care for it.

How did you get 82%?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I think I heard somewhere that 100g is a good starting point.
    I googled this, and it seems to be like a reliable source:

How Much Protein Per Day?

Are you using the MyFitnessPal (MFP) method of calculating how many calories you intake, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)?

Also for whoever asked, CICO is an abbreviation for calories in, calories out.

Edit: I think you should join this group, it has a wealth of information and people who really know their stuff and want to help you reach your goals:

Group: Eat.Train.Progress.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »

I second the advice. I have heard multiple sources state the same thing. I try to follow it as well. Everything in moderation. If I ate as much fruit as I wanted to, things would be bad. Haha. And eating them in the morning is just making sure they don't slow down digestion later in the evening, I believe.

No one in any thread I have ever read has said " eat all the fruit you want ". What I have seen about a million times is sugar from fruit is the same as any other sugar and as long as you remain in a calorie deficit you can eat all you want. Your digestive system doesn't stop working in the evening either.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry about naturally occurring sugars :)
  • bettieb1988
    edited January 2015
    Options
    [/quote]
    I think I heard somewhere that 100g is a good starting point.
    I googled this, and it seems to be like a reliable source:

How Much Protein Per Day?

Are you using the MyFitnessPal (MFP) method of calculating how many calories you intake, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)?

Also for whoever asked, CICO is an abbreviation for calories in, calories out.

Edit: I think you should join this group, it has a wealth of information and people who really know their stuff and want to help you reach your goals:

Group: Eat.Train.Progress.[/quote]

Thanks for the group I just joined! :) and I've just been using MFP for my calorie intake
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »

No...

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

How did you get 82%?

100% body mass - 18% body fat = 82% lean mass.

Edited to change "muscle" to "mass" b/c READING COMPREHENSION.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

How did you get 82%?

100% body mass - 18% body fat = 82% lean muscle.

Except that's not quite right, because bones. Bones would account for approximately 15% of a normal weight person's body weight, so a more accurate equation might be:

100% body mass - 18% fat - 15% bones = 67% lean muscle.

Lean mass isn't just muscle. It's everything that isn't fat. Bones, organs, blood vessels, muscle, etc.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

How did you get 82%?

100% body weight - 18% body fat = 82% lean mass

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

How did you get 82%?

Sorry -- I read "muscle" instead of mass. :smiley:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

How did you get 82%?

Sorry -- I read "muscle" instead of mass. :smiley:

:flowerforyou: