Help! bride to be in trouble!

Options
Ladies I'm getting married in July and like most brides to be I'm trying to lose weight to fit in my dress can anyone offer advice?

Replies

• missjuliaamyemms
    missjuliaamyemms Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    don't do just cardio, toning up your body will really help it look smaller and then the muscle will naturally burn more fat away so don't forget your strength workouts :)
  • TracyFreeman71
    TracyFreeman71 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How many weeks do you have before commiting to a dress size ? How many pounds of fat do you want to loose in that time frame ?

Divide the lbs by the weeks and there is your weekly goal.
    Now multiply the your weekly goal by 3500 calories ( equals 1 pound of fat ) this is the weekly calorie deficit you need to reach your goal.
    Finally divide your weekly calorie deficit by 7 and you arrive at the daily calorie deficit needed to reach your goal.

Congrats on your engagement.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Buy a dress that fits?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Why is this flag worthy? Good grief.
  • christyj0725
    christyj0725 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) with winter in full force in PA its hard to workout outside with 5-8in of snow..
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's better to buy a dress that fits you now and have it taken in. As long as you at least maintain your current weight you're fine. If you're able to lose some weight then, all the better! Congratulations on your engagement and happy planning!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) with winter in full force in PA its hard to workout outside with 5-8in of snow..

You don't lose weight by working out; you lose weight by eating less than you need to maintain your current weight. Exercise will allow you to eat more while still losing weight, though you have to be careful not to overestimate calories burned in exercise.

That said, when there's 5-8 inches of snow, you can snowshoe, cross-country ski, or even put on boots and gaiters and walk through the snow—that's a great workout. If your house has stairs, you can walk up and down them a few dozen times. You can also do a Web search for bodyweight exercises and get some strength routines to do indoors

And exercise is important, not because it adds to your weight loss, but because it affects the kind of weight you lose. If you don't exercise, particularly strength training, you will lose muscle as well as fat. If you build strength training into your weekly routine, you'll lose less muscle and more fat. One popular saying goes like this: "You diet to look good in clothes, and you exercise to look good naked."

I'd advise setting a realistic goal - maybe a pound a week if you have more than 25 pounds to lose; half a pound a week if it's less than that - and learning how to meet it in a sustainable way. If you think of this only as a way to lose weight for your wedding, you're likely to return to your old habits afterwards and regain the weight. If you think of it as a lifestyle change for the rest of your life, you'll develop new habits that will make the weight loss sustainable, and promote better health as you go forward in your married life.

Oh, and based on the many weddings I have been to, all brides look beautiful, but especially when they are wearing dresses that allow them to breathe normally. Don't get a dress that's too tight. That's why having a realistic goal is important, especially because you don't necessarily know where the weight will come off first.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options

You can lose your vanity pounds by simply doing 1 rep of "set the fork down" at each meal. Calories in - calories out is all that is required.
    No need to go outside and exercise. ( although you should just for general fitness )
  • christyj0725
    Options
    Thanks so much for winter sports I'm not very good but tubing was my favorite but I haven't gone in a while..and the ski resorts are expensive :( and I've been trying to stay under 2200 calories and have been doing pretty good for the month and 10 days I've been using this app but I'm just hoping I get the results I'd like
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    but I'm just hoping I get the results I'd like

Hoping as in your just gonna eat a little less and hope it happens ?
    Or
    Hoping as in you understand exactly what needs to be done and are hoping you have the resolve to actually do it ?

Lots of folks here who are willing to help. You just need to be a bit more specific what you are in need of.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    not a lot of information as to goals here but here is my two cents..

Set MFP to one pound per week loss.
    Log ALL you food.
    get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything.
    don't worry about food choice or 'bad' foods, you can eat the foods that you want, just eat less of them. Overall diet, hitting calorie goal, and dosage is more important than food choice.
    I would suggest adding a lifting program like strong lifts or 5x5 < not necessary but just my opinion.
    set your macros in custom settings to 35% protein/35% carbs/30% fats
    do this until you get desired results...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you can't get out much due to the cold, google "body weight training" where you use the weight of your own body as the weights you are lifting, so to speak. Pushups, planks, squats, and such. Let MFP calculate for you how many calories you'll need to eat each day for weight loss, and be sure to measure and log all your foods so that you keep to that number. I have found that you must eat right AND exercise. Doing just one or the other has never worked for me. I know that a calorie deficit alone is *supposed* to cause weight loss, but in my practical experience, it does not do the job very well alone. Don't be afraid of weights.... you won't bulk up. Women's muscles actually become more compact from weight lifting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    If you can't get out much due to the cold, google "body weight training" where you use the weight of your own body as the weights you are lifting, so to speak. Pushups, planks, squats, and such. Let MFP calculate for you how many calories you'll need to eat each day for weight loss, and be sure to measure and log all your foods so that you keep to that number. I have found that you must eat right AND exercise. Doing just one or the other has never worked for me. I know that a calorie deficit alone is *supposed* to cause weight loss, but in my practical experience, it does not do the job very well alone. Don't be afraid of weights.... you won't bulk up. Women's muscles actually become more compact from weight lifting.

so you live outside the realm of math and physics???

you don't have to eat "right" to lose weight…what does that even mean???

eat less = weigh less
  • summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I'm trying to lose weight for my wedding aswell.. Congrats!! You will do it don't worry :) jus keep up what your doing and for in some at home exercise DVDs, use your stairs at home, you will look fab !! :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I read the subject line as meaning something else entirely. ;)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Buy snow shoes. Snow is great resistance! And you dont even need to carry a water bottle!
  • christyj0725
    Options
    I have snow boots
  • christyj0725
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! Since I originally posted this cry for help I've lost -6.2lbs in about 3mths! It did start in the kitchen and with dental PA finally not being ridiculously cold outside we can finally go hiking again! I haven't tried on my dress yet since the loss but I'll keep everyone in the loop!