Weight loss supplements

Options
2»

Replies

• mileycyrus231
    Options
    Well your not the only one taking garcinia. My husband bought a whole bunch a while back so I figure why not?! I am also on a 1200 calorie diet, but its not very strict. The type of food I eat is strict, mostly veggies, & protein. I run 3 miles a day 3 times a week, along with some strength training.
    My honest opinion about the magic pills it that there isnt one. Last year about this time I tried dieting without any pills and I still lost weight. It's all about eating good food and putting in the work.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    "Weight-loss" supplements aren't worth the price.

I do take a few dietary supplements to fill in the gaps in case I am unable to eat as healthy and balanced a diet as I would like. I take a multivitamin, probiotic cultures and bee pollen. I also add ground flax and chia seeds to everything I can.

Any weight you lose while using magic pills is likely due to your own hard work and possibly a placebo effect - if YOU believe they work then it can help. But don't waste 100's of dollars looking for an illusory weight loss crutch.

Also - EAT DAMMIT!! 1200 calories is crazy-low, especially if you are exercising regularly and are not a permanent couch fixture the rest of the day. And as for wrecking your metabolism, you should be working on healing it not prolonging the damage.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am calorie counting and exercising, I am "doing the work" I just want to feel full like a normal person does. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and treadmilling for 20 minutes, 5 times a week. Once my heart and lungs get in slightly better shape I will increase that to 30 minutes, work my way up to running.

I am on 1200+ too. And i am not hungry because for me it is all about eating the right foods.

So it is 1200 normally for me and than i eat 1/4 back of my exercise.
    I do cardio 6 times a week ( 60 minutes) and 3 times a week light lifting for 30 minutes.

I only take some vitamin's and fish oil to help with my arthritis and rheumatism. But i do that for the last 25 years they are not for losing weight.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Would you be willing to reveal what you weigh?

The heavier a person is, the more calories s/he needs (generally) just to get up and get around.

I am 4" shorter than you, I'm 100% sure I'm much older, I weigh 198 currently, and my calorie goal is 1350.

With that said, after my "eat all you want of only Food Category X" diets (which I gained on), eating more "normal"-size meals did, at first, feel as if I were starving. However, after about two weeks, they began to feel very normal. Now I don't like feeling overstuffed.

I too have an anorexic history, BTW. Not as severe as many. My low was 95 lbs. (adult height).
  • veevee1950
    veevee1950 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water before, during and after any meal and you will feel full after the meal.
  • stopdropandstay
    stopdropandstay Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    well okay actually, CLA is helpful. It doesn't reduce your weight, but it definitely does help with the inches and muscle development. Everyone else here needs to calm down. One or two people giving out lectures on how the pills do not work? That's fine... However, not every single person needs to comment on that because I'm sure OP gets the point by now.
    Most of those supplements usually don't work, but sometimes they produce a placebo effect. It depends what brand you bought and what other ingredients are listed in those pills also. Some produce a thermogenic effect whereas others use a means of caffeine/ephedrine to suppress your appetite. Personally, the best appetite suppressant is some music (proven to help with cravings), warm water (just not with meals*), caffeine pills, and of course, the right nutrition. Protein provides the most satiety, then fatty acids, and finally carbs. Anything with loads of fibre in it is always great (I like manitoba hemp protein with fibre) - just make sure you drink water. if you're scared you aren't getting enough nutrients, try drinking vega one. That stuff is amazing...
    *Drinking water during while having your meals is actually a bad idea because it helps you process your food a lot more quickly. It may temporarily fill you up, but there is a big misconception that using water will provide long term satiety. This is why anyone who has gastric bypass surgery is not allowed to drink much water too close to their meal time.

Garcinia Cambogia often doesn't work at all, but it does help with suppressing your appetite sometimes. People claim that it only works if it has over 60% HCA..I would check the nutrition label to see what the percentage is. It also may suppress your appetite because of the caffeine that is packed into those pills also.. (Even though it's supposed to be an appetite suppressant that doesn't use caffeine, but you never know)
    Thermogenics "work" by increasing your heart rate & body temperature (which uses more energy) thereby "increasing your metabolism" temporarily. These may work a tiny bit but you do have to be careful because they can mess up your heart (and liver). They definitely don't do enough to give significant weight loss, but they may help a tiny bit if you use them with the right kind of diet and exercise. Possibly the best supplement you can take is a multivitamin.
    Because you are restricting quite a bit, it's possible your body will feel weak and lethargic. To avoid this, make SURE you take potassium and B12 supplements. Maintain your electrolyte levels (and some sodium + water) and you won't feel weak - if you ever do.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    veevee1950 wrote: »
    Drink lots of water before, during and after any meal and you will feel full after the meal.

Honestly, this never worked for me. Of course that's just me. But no matter how sloshy and physically full I felt, my body definitely knew the difference between calories and water.

• veevee1950
    veevee1950 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have tried many prescription weight loss drugs over the years, acupuncture, diet fads, yes and even hypnosis and they all 'work' at first because my willpower works at first as it does with all new efforts.
    MFP seems to be working (30 days and counting) and Weight Watchers worked in the past, so it seems to me that I respond better to being accountable to others for my success or failure.

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You can eat way more than 1200. At 240 pounds I could lose weight on 1900 a day. I'm about 200 now and losing 2 pounds a week on 1600 a day. In fact I'm going to up my calories soon because it's going a little too fast. I also have a long history of disordered eating.

What you might find when you increase your calories is that you retain water. That could look like a gain or maintain on the scale for a few weeks. Give it time to stabilise.

I know all about how much easier it seems to stick to a very low calorie diet than a more reasonable one. But it's not sustainable. A few hundred more calories allows you to have more of the dangerous foods I'm guessing you have trouble controlling yourself with. It's easier just to say no, right? But you will be surrounded by those foods all the time for the rest of your life. Isn't it better to learn how to deal with them? You can't always avoid them. And severe restriction always leads to a binge.

I've found to my amazement and delight that eating at least 30% protein and getting at least 25% fat has made a huge difference in my ability to deal with trigger foods. They can be in the house and I'm not obsessed with the idea of eating them or not eating them. They're just there. I never ever thought this would be possible. And I can eat normal portions of everything now. It just took a couple of months for my body to adapt. Now eating too much of anything just makes me feel awful and often sore.

The supplements may help suppress your appetite, they may not. For long term success and health you really need to gently and gradually adjust to eating in a way that you can and will eat for the rest of your life.

ETA: One supplement I have found aids in curbing appetite is fine ground psyllium husk. Making sure you get at least 25g of fibre a day is a big help. I boost mine by adding psyllium to my morning protein smoothie. Not only does it add fibre, but it expands and thickens in your stomach like those Skinny Sprinkles. :) A 300 calorie smoothie at 7:30 am powers me through a 90 minute gym session and all the way to lunch time with no hunger or cravings.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    I am calorie counting and exercising, I am "doing the work" I just want to feel full like a normal person does. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and treadmilling for 20 minutes, 5 times a week. Once my heart and lungs get in slightly better shape I will increase that to 30 minutes, work my way up to running.

Part I: I used to be 300 pounds, and I would eat easily 3000 to 4000 calories a day before I started reducing. You will feel hungry, but eventually normal amounts of food will feel normal, and you won't. It sucks, but I promise you don't need anything more than time to achieve that.

Part II: You're eating way, way too little. I started at 2100 calories, and lost weight consistently at 1900 calories and exercised rarely. (I'm so, so lazy.) I still eat 1700 to lose, and maintain somewhere in the 2000s.

I'm really worried that you're not eating enough and exercising your way into a burnout. Take it slow. Get in touch with your body and your feelings about food (if food is an emotional issue for you; it was/is for me). It's a slower route, but a lot more sustainable.

Yeah, I'm in the 150s and don't even eat 1200 to lose when not working out. It's not sustainable for most people.