Fall 2011 Marathon Support Group

Options
Hey everyone, I will be running the Baltimore Half Marathon in mid October and the Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October. My motivation to run has always been my Mom and her battle with Multiple Myeloma. She was my honored team mate until July 2010 when she died from complications of her disease. She is with me every step now and I run and raise funds in her memory, but I do find it harder and harder to maintain my motivation as the months pass. So, I'm hoping there are other runners out there who are training, or will begin training soon, for Fall running events. I'd love it if we can create a group here to keep one another motivated, share ideas and laugh together. I look forward to running together, virtually.
FIT INTO LIFE!
Risa

Replies

• Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm absolutely IN!

I'll be running a Women's only 1/2 Marathon in Indianapolis this September... and either the USAF Marathon later in September and/or the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in November.
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    I'll be running the Baltimore half as well in october! :)
    Good luck and we can do this!!!!!!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im in!! Im running the London royal parks half marathon in october. My first race :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm here! Running for my dad in the New York Marathon in November! I'll need all the support I can get as I train through injury and anxiety!

Thanks Risa for starting the thread!

Here's a question: I know it's bad to take any kind of anti-inflammatory before running a long distance. But what about for a short distance like a 5k? Bad idea?
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I'm in! Running Green Bay Marathon next weekend, then Milwaukee Marathon October 2nd. Possibly a half in July and November too.

Karin--the "bad" from anti-inflammatories with races is you become dehydrated and your kidney's can't take the chemicals. You would probably be okay with a 5k, but is there a reason you want to take one?

-Sarah
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in; doing the Oslo half marathon here in Norway last weekend of September. Really need the support.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Running Green Bay Marathon next weekend, then Milwaukee Marathon October 2nd. Possibly a half in July and November too.

Karin--the "bad" from anti-inflammatories with races is you become dehydrated and your kidney's can't take the chemicals. You would probably be okay with a 5k, but is there a reason you want to take one?

-Sarah

Thanks. Yes, knee pain. I'm working through it and under the care of doctors. It's actually my IT band and it causes some inflammation in my knee. I'm doing all I can to avoid it. Just wondering if ibuprofen would be a bad idea if I feel like I need it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am doing a half marathon in September to raise money for Cancer research in memory of a good friend who died of the disease a couple of months ago.

I have to say I am terrified!
  • Jdigaetano
    Jdigaetano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cool idea!

I'm running Fox Valley Marathon in September as a training run for the Taterbug 30 in November.
    I'm absolutely IN!

I'll be running a Women's only 1/2 Marathon in Indianapolis this September... and either the USAF Marathon later in September and/or the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in November.

USAF is a great race! The course is mostly booooring, but the aid stations and staff and military personnel, as well as the airplane flyovers, etc make it a spectacular event worth doing. Make time to spend a day at the museum! (after the race, hobbling around with your medal on is a good time and you won't be alone!)
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half last weekend in Nashville and it was a challenging, but wonderful experience. I plan on running a 15-miler in West Virginia in early September followed by a half in middle Tennessee in October. Best of luck to all.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do my first half marathon in August...we will see my knee hasn't been cooperating. Good luck thought I know you can do it!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    This is great! I will send friend requests to those of you not already my friends. I'm psyched that you each are up for this group! Now, I really will have to train! LOL
    Risa
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

-Sarah

I've done marathons and ultras with ibo and no probs

Thanks. Yes, knee pain. I'm working through it and under the care of doctors. It's actually my IT band and it causes some inflammation in my knee. I'm doing all I can to avoid it. Just wondering if ibuprofen would be a bad idea if I feel like I need it.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I just finished the flying pig 1/2 in Cincinnati and I start training Monday for my very first full! I'm excited, but also nervous. 26.2 is a FAR distance! I'm doing either the Marshall marathon in West Virginia in November or the Indianapolis Monumental. Haven't decided yet. Good luck all!
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ooops, I quoted above but my comment didn't post!

Yes ibu is ok to take running marathons, well it has been for me

If itb is tight then google 'the stick' dab bit of kit for self massage,

Good for itb, quad , calf and shins, all marathoners should have one to keep on top of tightness
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I am doing a half marathon in September to raise money for Cancer research in memory of a good friend who died of the disease a couple of months ago.

I have to say I am terrified!

you kept that quiet Fredi!
    ill sponsor you x
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Doing a 10k today. Goal is to finish in less than 50min, but I'll be happy with around 51, hopefully. Fingers crossed!
  • Amy_Do
    Amy_Do Posts: 20
    Options
    I would love to be part of this group I have recently started running again after some time off and am following a half marathon training package would love to do a full marathon next year...
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am in. I am hoping to run a half Marathon in September.:flowerforyou:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Well, I completed my 5th Half Marathon today! 2:16:08, which is a PR for me! It was a beautiful day and I ran it with my brother which makes it even more special!! I'll try to get some pictures up later!
    Happy Mother's Day to all of you out there!
    Risa