Only losing 2 pounds a week :/

13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    kyta32 wrote: »
    It's very rare that someone would put on that much weight only eating 1000 calories without a medical condition.

Do you weigh and measure all your food...perhaps you are eating more that you think.

If you are now eating less to lose weight, how many calories are you actually eating?

What happened was the medication I was put on caused a lot of weight gain because it holds on to fats. I quit taking it, but I only ate around 1,000 while on it I'm never really hungry. For me I generally have small snacks instead of meals and I don't like to have dairy. Like for example, I'd have like a handful of nuts and a cup of coffee (no sugar around 75 call a cup for the creamer I use) and the snacks I'd have throughout the day were like the 100 call snack bites.
    Not being rude but even if your medication caused you to retain weight by somehow turning incoming calories into fat, CICO still is in effect. If you are as active as you say, you would be burning a lot of calories- more than your body could retain at less than 1,000 incoming calories a day. Energy can neither be created or destroyed (pretty basic law of physics). So your retained fat is literally stored energy from the foods you eat. All that energy you have from being active and cleaning houses comes from your stored energy (fat). Your medication won't change the laws of physics. It won't prevent you from expending calories when you move and are active. I agree with others that most likely you aren't consuming less than 1k in calories a day. It is completely possible that you somehow misjudge how much you are eating a day. "a handful of nuts" is no accurate measurement of how much you were ingesting so most likely you are intaking much more than you assume.

As for everything else, 2 pounds loss a week is the absolute highest you should shoot for and that is if you are obese. Losing more than that a week will cause you to be weak and will most likely result in you gaining back all if not more once you move to maintenance.

Different people have different metabolisms.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372
    Study with 98 greek women with PCOS. Some had BMRs as low as 1116 calories a day taken by indirect calorimetry. I've read posts from women who have been told by thier doctors that their TDEE was 800 calories a day. Having a low TDEE does not break the laws of physics. There are medical conditions that affect how many calories are burned by activity.

A food scale does give a better idea of how may calories have been eaten, but even then tracking will not be 100% accurate. I've had food lose water in the fridge. It weighed less, but had the same calories. OP could try weighing her foods for a more accurate calorie count, but appears to already be eating an appropriate amount to lose weight at a healthy rate.

Of course underlying medical issues causes makes it more difficult for people to lose weight, but not everyone who says they are eating 1,000 calories and still gaining weight has a medical issue. In fact, I'm willing to bet very few people who post here that they are gaining weight on 1,000 calories or less a day really are just eating too much without realizing it.

Besides this, if you have a medical issue that messes with your metabolism, then it's just harder to find the right number in order to lose weight, and CICO still applies.

Why did the study you listed included Greek women only? Why weren't there any non-PCOS women in the study to compare results against?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    JENELYNN76 wrote: »
    Wow...so who cares what her pic is..this suppose to be support group.

Honestly, I don't recall anyone ever saying that MFP is a support group and a lot of times the best advice is something that you don't want to hear so where do we draw the lines around be honest and being supportive?

I think honesty is supportive. Trying to sugar coat answers is not.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    It's very rare that someone would put on that much weight only eating 1000 calories without a medical condition.

Do you weigh and measure all your food...perhaps you are eating more that you think.

If you are now eating less to lose weight, how many calories are you actually eating?

What happened was the medication I was put on caused a lot of weight gain because it holds on to fats. I quit taking it, but I only ate around 1,000 while on it I'm never really hungry. For me I generally have small snacks instead of meals and I don't like to have dairy. Like for example, I'd have like a handful of nuts and a cup of coffee (no sugar around 75 call a cup for the creamer I use) and the snacks I'd have throughout the day were like the 100 call snack bites.
    Not being rude but even if your medication caused you to retain weight by somehow turning incoming calories into fat, CICO still is in effect. If you are as active as you say, you would be burning a lot of calories- more than your body could retain at less than 1,000 incoming calories a day. Energy can neither be created or destroyed (pretty basic law of physics). So your retained fat is literally stored energy from the foods you eat. All that energy you have from being active and cleaning houses comes from your stored energy (fat). Your medication won't change the laws of physics. It won't prevent you from expending calories when you move and are active. I agree with others that most likely you aren't consuming less than 1k in calories a day. It is completely possible that you somehow misjudge how much you are eating a day. "a handful of nuts" is no accurate measurement of how much you were ingesting so most likely you are intaking much more than you assume.

As for everything else, 2 pounds loss a week is the absolute highest you should shoot for and that is if you are obese. Losing more than that a week will cause you to be weak and will most likely result in you gaining back all if not more once you move to maintenance.

Different people have different metabolisms.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372
    Study with 98 greek women with PCOS. Some had BMRs as low as 1116 calories a day taken by indirect calorimetry. I've read posts from women who have been told by thier doctors that their TDEE was 800 calories a day. Having a low TDEE does not break the laws of physics. There are medical conditions that affect how many calories are burned by activity.

A food scale does give a better idea of how may calories have been eaten, but even then tracking will not be 100% accurate. I've had food lose water in the fridge. It weighed less, but had the same calories. OP could try weighing her foods for a more accurate calorie count, but appears to already be eating an appropriate amount to lose weight at a healthy rate.

Of course underlying medical issues causes makes it more difficult for people to lose weight, but not everyone who says they are eating 1,000 calories and still gaining weight has a medical issue. In fact, I'm willing to bet very few people who post here that they are gaining weight on 1,000 calories or less a day really are just eating too much without realizing it.

Besides this, if you have a medical issue that messes with your metabolism, then it's just harder to find the right number in order to lose weight, and CICO still applies.

Why did the study you listed included Greek women only? Why weren't there any non-PCOS women in the study to compare results against?

It appears that the study was done in Greece, which is why the women were from there (they didn't import participants)....

In reading the abstract, you will notice there were 91 participants with PCOS and 48 controls (no PCOS, regularly menstruating), so 139 total women. Average BMR for PCOS women was 400 calories lower than controls, controlling for BMI and age. The study was to look at whether the women with PCOS had lower BMRs, and if insulin resistance was associated with lower BMRs in women with PCOS (it was).

Like I said above, it is possible to gain fat at a lower calorie intake without breaking the laws of physics due to medical conditions/different metabolisms. Gaining fat at an calorie intake of less than 1200 calories does not overturn CICO.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    This went well....
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    JENELYNN76 wrote: »
    Wow...so who cares what her pic is..this suppose to be support group.

Honestly, I don't recall anyone ever saying that MFP is a support group and a lot of times the best advice is something that you don't want to hear so where do we draw the lines around be honest and being supportive?

I think honesty is supportive. Trying to sugar coat answers is not.

The comments around the photo were not supportive. Calling someone a troll is an insult, and is not helpful advice. The way this thread was going for a while came off more like schoolyard bullying than knowledgeable, honest, supportive advice. That being said, there was also some sensible information sensitively delivered. When advice is given tactfully, it is more likely to be considered - i.e. is helpful. When insults are delivered, it shuts down intelligent dialogue.

I personally believe MFP was designed to provide support to those wishing to track their food intake, activity, and weight changes. There is a topic, after all, called motivation and support.