What to look for in a personal trainer?

Options
I'm getting a personal trainer for the first time ever and I'm really not sure what to look for.

My gym has a few trainers and they have biographies on the wall, showing all their different interests and different strengths and qualifications. They have different price tags too, and I have to stay at the cheaper end.

I've booked my first session with a trainer whose biography was inspiring to me because she said she'd weighed 17 stone and had lost all that weight. Her interests are introducing women to weight training and weight loss and nutrition. So it sounds promising but they all look good on paper.

I don't really want to hop around trainers until I find the right one because I'd quite like to get on with a program, plus it's kind of expensive, but also I really want to get my money's worth.

I want to improve fitness and lose weight, pretty straightforward goals I think. I'm not new to the gym, just whilst I have the best intentions my workouts can be a bit directionless and lack structure. I'm fine at cardio by myself, but I need guidance on the best way to go about things for the best results.

So yeah...I'm just wondering when you've got a personal trainer, what have you looked for? What do you think is important? What is a red flag that tells you that trainer isn't right for you?

And how many sessions/hours a week do you go for? The trainer I'm going to see has suggested an hour a week is a good place to start, and thinks it's better to split that up into two half hour sessions, so that's what I'm doing, but I'm just curious in how other people have done it.

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't need someone to supervise my workout, so my goals for a trainer might be different from a lot of people's.

I need someone who will:

* Be knowledgable about the subject.
    * Be observant. I will practically kill myself to do whatever the trainer says to do. I need a trainer who can spot this, and then know when to tell me to back off..
    * Be professional. (ON time, clean, dressed neatly and appropriately to the activity)
    * Be willing to listen. (In sober truth, I've only every had one coach/personal trainer as an adult and that person listens very carefully indeed)
    * Be a creative thinker. I have specific goals, and in general know what I need to do. What I need is a form Nazi.
    * Be willing to give me "homework" for my regular workout sessions.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I don't need someone to supervise my workout, so my goals for a trainer might be different from a lot of people's.

I need someone who will:

* Be knowledgable about the subject.
    * Be observant. I will practically kill myself to do whatever the trainer says to do. I need a trainer who can spot this, and then know when to tell me to back off..
    * Be professional. (ON time, clean, dressed neatly and appropriately to the activity)
    * Be willing to listen. (In sober truth, I've only every had one coach/personal trainer as an adult and that person listens very carefully indeed)
    * Be a creative thinker. I have specific goals, and in general know what I need to do. What I need is a form Nazi.
    * Be willing to give me "homework" for my regular workout sessions.

pretty much this.
    watch the trainers for a few weeks prior to getting. see how the interact with their clients, if they let their clients practice poor form, and look to see how similar routines are between clients with one trainer and all the trainers as a whole. some have a very cookie cutter approach
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I would add one more to the above: Talk to a couple of their current clients. At the gym who is being successful with whom?
  • ITasteLikePaint
    ITasteLikePaint Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Having a degree in exercise science and a certification from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). A scientific research study found that personal trainers with both of these qualifications are much more knowledgeable and in a better position to help you reach your goals than trainers without them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11834102
    (I have access to the article if there are any questions regarding methods)
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I picked mine based on attitude and age. I had met all the ones at my gym as I see them around. I am female and was 42. I had the choice of a 43 year old male, a 26 year old female or a few younger guys. I picked the older male because I thought it would be more realistic, and if he hadn't been available I would have gone with the girl. I don't worry about qualifications because they ALL have to have them to even be there. He motivated me a lot with both exercise and nutrition, and really understands where I am coming from, I guess maybe due to age.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    They don't work for me.
  • luciafernanda
    luciafernanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! They were useful, especially the suggestions of watching the trainer and speaking to current clients.

I don't think they're likely to have degrees from ACSM or NSCA as we're in the UK but they all have their qualifications by their biographies...of course the ones with more qualifications are more expensive, and I can't really afford them right now. But all of them do have various nationally recognized certificates and diplomas.

And maybe it won't work for me either but I'd still really like to try it out for a while, just to see.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm a 40 year old woman, but all my trainers have been men in their early 20s (first one moved out of state, second one left the gym, still with third one). I watched the first one with his female clients. I wanted to see how he treated them, how he trained them. He recommended his replacement when he left. My third one, I watched during his own workouts, and asked him to spot me a few times. He offered to be my third trainer.

I looked for someone who understood my goals (lose weight, get stronger) and could help me achieve them. I also wanted someone I could *connect* with and truely trust. My first trainer has been my friend for 3 years. My third trainer and I went skydiving, and we have lunch together regularly. I trust him 110%.
  • luciafernanda
    Options
    How often do you see him and for how long, sarahrbraun?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    We officially work together for an hour twice a week. We are close friends, so we talk almost daily.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I lucked out with my current trainer because he was the first one I went to at the gym I joined. First, he listened to my goals and needs, as well as my physical limitations (I'm in my early 50's, so history of a couple knee/foot issues, etc.), and tailored my program to my needs. I have noticed with other people, he does completely different programs and exercises--and to me that says he doesn't just follow a cookie-cutter program for all his clients.

Second, he is creative. Every day, aside from the big compound lifts (even those some days are shaken up), the accessory lifts are a little different and are geared towards improving the weak spots in my main lifts.

Third, form is king. He can spot almost before the exact moment I get out of form, and stops me. Weights down, go over form, do it again....the FORM matters most, not the number of reps.

Fourth, he's a genuinely nice person. Treats me with respect, and from his interactions with the other folks in the gym, and how he treats the equipment (clean, place everything back), just high integrity.

Fifth, he's focused on me during my time with him. I go three times per week, half-hour sessions, and he's THERE...studying, guiding, coaching, engaged.

I think a lot of those things you can sense with your instinct if you're going to get someone who will be worth your investment. Good luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I picked mine based on attitude and age. I had met all the ones at my gym as I see them around. I am female and was 42. I had the choice of a 43 year old male, a 26 year old female or a few younger guys. I picked the older male because I thought it would be more realistic, and if he hadn't been available I would have gone with the girl. I don't worry about qualifications because they ALL have to have them to even be there. He motivated me a lot with both exercise and nutrition, and really understands where I am coming from, I guess maybe due to age.

My ex was a trainer at a large gym ( a local chain) without having taken the test yet...
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm sure all of the trainers are qualified. I was looking for a few things in a trainer. I wanted someone that was close to my age, that I could get along with really well, and someone who understood what my goals were and were willing to help me achieve those goals. I met with several trainers, spent some time talking to them, got their background, explained my goals, and then chose the one that I got along with the best who understood my goals and was willing to help me achieve them. Your trainer will be your mentor for a while, choose someone that you can get along with, and you may even get a new friend out of the deal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A few things jump out at me...
    1. to improve overall heath/fitness and to lose some weight is pretty basic and doesn't require any specialized knowledge or guidance... just some hard work, some consistency, and lots of patience. So in that regard, most anyone can help.
    2. what to look for depends on what you need. Support? Inspiration? Instruction? Ultimately, look for someone with knowledge/experience in what maters to you. Someone who's an accomplished olympic lifter might not be the best fit for someone with endurance goals. Also, personality (or lack there of) can matter.
    3. getting the most bang for your buck is pretty subjective - only you'll be able to decide that
  • ITasteLikePaint
    ITasteLikePaint Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about qualifications because they ALL have to have them to even be there.
    hdrenollet wrote: »
    I'm sure all of the trainers are qualified.

Well that's just not true. Most personal training certifications require that you: be 18 (high school diploma not necessary in many cases), pass a simple test (sometimes open book), be CPR certified (usually an online video will fulfill this requirement), and pay a fee. To keep that certification year to year they'll pay a fee and have to do an insignificant amount of continuing education (that they probably didn't actually do).
    Really, at least in my opinion, the degree in exercise science is much more crucial for a fitness professional to be successful. A difficult test and a lot of required continuing education are great, they'll weed out the people who are going to be just terrible personal trainers, but having a scientific foundation is much more valuable. It provides a factual base of information to work from and, hopefully, they'll learn how to find credible information going forward.
    In the United States, there is no government regulation of the title "personal trainer." No standard qualification before you can start training people. You don't even have to be certified if you can get clients without it. Not all certifications are created equally.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Jot down a couple of the trainer's certifications and then look up the organization they're certified in to see if they are accredited by the NCCA (National Commission for Certifying Agencies). The NOCA is the accrediting body of the National Organization for Competency Assurance. I know NASM is accredited through them and I believe the NSCA is as well, past that I don't know what organizations are or aren't.

Certifications aside it's hard to gauge the quality of a trainer because not everybody can apply what they learn, some are just book smart. If you look on their information to see how many years of experience they have, that could be an indicator of quality as well because you at least know they've been making a living off of training for a while.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    ACSM and NSCA are the most respected credentials. Beyond that there are different levels of credentials. CPT is just a basic personal trainer whereas a CSCS is a certified strength and conditioning coach which requires a bachelor's degree in exercise physiology and kinesiology. Don't be fooled by the credentials though; I have met CSCS's that were terrible trainers. The best way to find a good trainer is to find someone whose clients have great results. It also makes sense to hire someone who is in good shape themselves.

Depending on your goals, it is good to hire a trainer who is also competitive in a sport whose skillset resembles what you are after (hire a powerlifter for strength, a bodybuilder/fitness and figure athlete for physique, a track athlete if you'd like to run faster, a marathoner if you'd like to run for distance and so on...) because they will have the most effective means of training for that specific goal. Oh, also, don't hire some kid. Hire a trainer with plenty of experience training themselves and other people.
  • luciafernanda
    Options
    Well I'm in the UK so the qualifications are different. I know the qualifications they do are all done at further education institutes which are state funded, so they're not just mickey mouse certificates. But of course a trainer with only one or two level 1 qualifications doesn't really say much.

Here are some of the trainers at my gym, you can see their bios here to give you an idea of what my options are:
    http://www.fitness4less.co.uk/sutton_personal_trainers.html
    I don't think any of them have degrees in sports science...but it's not a fancy gym, the ones with degrees probably work elsewhere! There are several who aren't on that page though, including the one I've hired.

Well...I've booked for Tuesday and Thursday this week with the girl that lost a ton of weight. She's young but if she can do it to herself, maybe she can help me do it too. We'll see...only one way to find out.