Is phentermine safe ?! Please help !!

Options
Hi everyone. I want to make this short and sweet. I'm 5'2 , stress eat , have no energy , and weigh over 240 pounds. My health is starting to go down hill. Asthma is getting worse , and I recently developed sleep apnea.

My doctor prescribed phentermine. I've had the pills for 2 months , but I'm terrified to take them. Does anyone have any real advice , maybe some experience with this drug ? I hardly even take Tylenol. And many of my loved ones have suffered addiction.

I know obesity is a major problem , but I just don't know about this drug. I've done plenty of research online , but I'm looking for real people , with real advice / stories.

I can not thank you enough.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was on it for nearly 2mths. In that time I didn't sleep more than 2-3 hours a night, I became a depressed emotional mess, it was just plain awful!!
    Yes, it does work for some people with no side effects. But my question is what will happen when you come off it?? Your appetite will return and you will struggle to sustain the low calories you were on while taking phentermine
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    Does it work? Yes, but the side effects are dangerous for many. I have taken it and when I took it at the dose prescribed (30mg 2x daily) I barely could eat 400 calories a day and I was up most of the night for the first few months. Can people get addicted? Yes, I never did though. I've heard it's similar to speed. The only recreational drug I have done is pot back in the day so I can't say if it's true or not. Do whatever works for you, but I wouldn't take it again. It was one of the dumbest diet ideas I tried.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I was on phentermine for over a year( shady weight loss clinic, don't ask) I went from 225 to 140. I had all kinds of crazy side effects, but it didn't matter to me, because I was thin. By the time I went off them, I was pretty much addicted. I went off to have another baby and gained 100 lbs during that pregnancy.

Some of my side effects were:
    Insomnia
    Irritability
    Anger
    Dry mouth so bad I wound up with tooth damage
    I developed a skin picking disorder
    Dizziness
    Completely forgetting to eat, for days

Does it work? Sure. Will I ever take it again? Nope

I know some others on here have/are taking it along with diet and exercise and aren't having the side effects I had. I'm glad for them. I'm just putting out there what phentermine did to me.

I also know women who took it and they lost no weight.

I can tell you what works, with the only side effect being weight loss. Following a modest deficit and logging your food.
    I'm down 15 lbs in 8 weeks.

Whatever you choose :) , I wish you luck.
  • sunnys1208
    Options
    Yes, it works. I have been on it since Nov 2014. Prescribed to take 1 pill daily. I take 1 pill a few days a uweek. I have only taken it two weeks straight one time since I've been on them. I have lost 23lbs and a ton of inches. I cut out all of my diet soda and drink nothing but water. I also make better choices. I did not work out from November until January simply because the doctor told me not to do any exercise to just work on changing my diet. This pill doesn't keep me awake at all and I sleep through the night. I don't take my pill later than 1p.m. The main side affect I have is dry mouth so I am constantly drinking water. I started working out Monday doing zumba for 1 hr and walking 2 miles. I am satisfied with my results thus far considering that I haven't even started my third bottle yet. Again, I don't take daily but I do take several times a week sometimes missing two days in a row intentionally. I do this so that I can train myself for when the pill isn't available. I think I will be fine once I am completely off of the pill. The main thing is don't use it as an easy way out you must be willing to make lifestyle changes along with it. Oh and don't let anyone results from the meds discourage you. The best way to find out how it will affect you is to try it. Everyone is affected different and have different health issues. I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey regardless of which route you choose to take.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Is being 240+ @ 5'2" "safe"?

Safety is relative.

My take is that drugs aren't a viable long-term solution. Will they get you there? Sure. Likely. But good luck actually staying there.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I did a blog post about prescription weight loss (appetite control) medicines. It has links to more info on most of the drugs.

Yes, phentermine is safe.
    The part of the phen/fen combination which caused the heart damage has been pulled from the market.

But if your problem is "stress eating", not uncontrollable hunger, phentermine (or any other appetite suppressant) might not do anything for you. It's not magic, it won't change your habits.

If you're concerned about addiction, talk with your doctor. That is a reasonable concern.
    As for side effects, most are minor and short-lived.
    The only problem I had, and it was very minor, was that my blood pressure was slightly elevated.
    No jitters, nausea, sleeplessness, addiction... nothing bad at all.

I was just suddenly and magically _not_ constantly hungry. It was amazing. :relieved:
    With my hunger under control, not controlling me, I was able to learn to eat (and be satsified with) normal-sized portions.
    After a couple months I started using it when I hadn't lost weight the day before, skipping it if I had. Pretty soon I wasn't using it at all. Now I only use it if I know I'll have a long, difficult day, when I won't be able to eat as I normally do.

51637601.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is now in the morbidly obese range. Morbidly is pretty darn scary, and you are starting to experience some of those effects. Eighteen months ago I also was morbidly obese. Even losing the first thirty pounds gained me terrific health benefits. I am on no medications today.

I think the doctor prescribed the medication in desperation. You have to lose the weight somehow and perhaps the pill will be the boost you need. Are there any other sorts of support programs you can be referred to?

Are you on a CPAP machine for the sleep apnea?

I was really helped by Stanford's Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. Is there one available near where you live? Can your doctor refer you?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I did a blog post about prescription weight loss (appetite control) medicines. It has links to more info on most of the drugs.

The part of the phen/fen combination which caused the heart damage has been pulled from the market.

But if your problem is "stress eating", not uncontrollable hunger, phentermine (or any other appetite suppressant) might not do anything for you. It's not magic, it won't change your habits.

If you're concerned about addiction, talk with your doctor. That is a reasonable concern.
    The only problem I had, and it was very minor, was that my blood pressure was slightly elevated.

I was just suddenly and magically _not_ constantly hungry. It was amazing. :relieved:
    With my hunger under control, not controlling me, I was able to learn to eat (and be satsified with) normal-sized portions.
    After a couple months I started using it when I hadn't lost weight the day before, skipping it if I had. Pretty soon I wasn't using it at all. Now I only use it if I know I'll have a long, difficult day, when I won't be able to eat as I normally do.

51637601.png

Not to hijack this thread, and without wanting to sound like a stalker, I think it's great that you post a picture of your scale in your signature.

I take scale pics too, just to look back and see where I was.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Safe , not safe who really knows. But since the FDA approved it and your doctor suggest taking it you certainly have the option. Read the side affects the pharmacy provides you and monitor closely. Discuss with your doctor accordingly.

If you don't want to rely on luck then be sure to develop the food management skills that failed you while you were becoming obese. You will need these skills to maintain your weight when the drug is no longer being taken.
  • BabyWeight710
    Options
    I took it in the past and was successful. I had a hard time sleeping for about three days, but it is short term. You really have to try it to see how it will effect you. I didn't have any of those horrible side effects. I've always had decent blood pressure (120/80) but when I took it mine actually dropped to around 110/70. Some people say they have pretty severe side effects though, so it's all relative. I kept the weight off too, until I had my daughter. I gained 50 pounds, ugh. I haven't decided if I will take it again, but it worked for me. Oh...I lost about 35 pounds on it. I went from 225 to 195 in about 3 months. I never felt addicted but I also knew it wasn't meant to be taken for long.
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My dr prescribed it to me earlier this month and I've been taking 1 pill a day. Luckily the only side effect I have is dry mouth which helps me get my gallon of water down everyday. I don't get jitters and I have no trouble sleeping at night.
    If you're that scared don't take it. But everyone's body reacts differently.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. No weight loss pill is safe, and they are not necessary.

You can take the pill, but you won't lose weight unless you eat less calories than you burn.

Why waste money on something that is unnecessary? I'd throw them away.

Being morbidly obese, you can eat more than the average person and still lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

51637601.png

Nope.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What have you done, to help your weight loss in the two months since he prescribed them?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What have you done, to help your weight loss in the two months since he prescribed them?

This. It seems like you don't want to take the pills, which is a perfectly acceptable response. But you're going to have to make changes to get the weight off. Are you logging everything you eat? Have you added any activity to your routine? It doesn't have to be anything super complicated, walking 30 minutes a day is a great form of exercise.

What are you doing to change your situation? Also, have you discussed your concerns with your doctor?
  • Beeber48
    Options
    I am a registered pharmacist. Phentermine is considered safe if used under a physician supervision who knows your medical conditions. Does it work? Yes, I have taken it to kick start my dieting and "shrink" my stomach. But you still need to eat right and exercise. It is basically like an amphetamine which decreases your appetite and gives you energy. The biggest side effect is increased heart rate and being jittery, which it is recommended to start at a low dose, 15mg. If you have the tablets, 37.5mg, they can be broken in half. You should take the pill after breakfast and only once daily if just starting it. It will give you enormous energy, wakefulness, at beginning. As with the old phen-fen combos, this can still cause cardiac abnormalities, but the older combos were very dangerous. If a person does not have a medical or family history with cardiac problems or high blood pressure, it could be taken safely. It really does not work past a 3 month mark, which they recommend 3 months on and then take a break from it. Some states even have laws regarding this. If taken chronically, you do become addicted to the "speed" part of it and should always ween off at end to avoid withdrawal symptoms. As for your asthma, I need to research more and do not have the references at home but will post again, not quite sure about safety if asthma is getting worse. Hope this helps!! I go back to work in two days and will look up and post again
  • Beeber48
    Beeber48 Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am asking for it at my doctor's appt tomorrow, but can't ever get a prescription for it. And I have no risk factors and only want it for 2 months. And I know the risks and benefits
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to try it, I advise for only a very short time.

I took it for a month once. I dropped like 15 lbs in that month because the thought of eating literally made me want to vomit. However I was bouncing off the walls, and over energized. I couldn't sleep because of racing thoughts and feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. My heart would race and felt like it was skipping beats. It wasn't worth it, and the weight was back in a couple weeks.

I wouldn't take it again....regardless of how overweight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Beeber48 wrote: »
    I am a registered pharmacist. Phentermine is considered safe if used under a physician supervision who knows your medical conditions. Does it work? Yes, I have taken it to kick start my dieting and "shrink" my stomachBut you still need to eat right and exercise. It is basically like an amphetamine which decreases your appetite and gives you energy. The biggest side effect is increased heart rate and being jittery, which it is recommended to start at a low dose, 15mg. If you have the tablets, 37.5mg, they can be broken in half. You should take the pill after breakfast and only once daily if just starting it. It will give you enormous energy, wakefulness, at beginning. As with the old phen-fen combos, this can still cause cardiac abnormalities, but the older combos were very dangerous. If a person does not have a medical or family history with cardiac problems or high blood pressure, it could be taken safely. It really does not work past a 3 month mark, which they recommend 3 months on and then take a break from it. Some states even have laws regarding this. If taken chronically, you do become addicted to the "speed" part of it and should always ween off at end to avoid withdrawal symptoms. As for your asthma, I need to research more and do not have the references at home but will post again, not quite sure about safety if asthma is getting worse. Hope this helps!! I go back to work in two days and will look up and post

The drug does not shrink your stomach. There is no need to kick start your dieting.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The first time I was put on it I felt like it was a godsend, because it killed my appetite and kept me energized. But it had some meth-like effects (it practically IS meth). I was picking at my skin until it bled, and since taking the first pill I was up a full 6 and a half days before finally dozing off. I was starting to hallucinate. I've done my fair share of recreational drugs but that stuff packs a punch. Very powerful. You will lose weight but you need to understand that it comes at a price. And after getting off of it the weight is hard to keep off. I regained all that I lost on it and then some.