I hate my naked body!

Options
I'm very emotional and upset today. I need some positive vibes.

I've lost over 80 pounds so far. I've gone from a size 24 to a size 12. I absolutely love the way I look in clothes. Seriously, when I'm dressed, my confidence and attitude couldn't be better. However, when I'm naked, I hate myself. My body looks like a complete freakshow. It's a huge confidence killer. I know it's my own fault. I allowed myself to become and stay obese a very long time. I'm sure things will start to tighten up and look a little better over time, but ugh I hate the way I look naked.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I almost hated my naked body more than before I started losing. Things looked loose and weird and I thought I looked older. It was emotional. It took some serious weight training to get me happy with how I look naked, and I'm still not completely there.

How far are you from goal?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your problem is the same as mine: Loose skin. I hate loose skin! I went to my doctor and I said, "am I going to be stuck with this forever? If not, how long does it take to tighten up?" She told me for me, two years. I am 46 years old. The younger you are, the faster it will go, but then again you lost more weight than I did. I would say that two years is more or less the time you can expect it to take. I realize that's disconcerting. I try to wear clothes that hide or compress the loose skin (tights or leggings under a skirt, for example) for the time being.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    OMG you guys, the skin under my chin/neck area? Shriek! X( That, and the bat wings.... I could fly away. I do lift weights but that doesn't work on the face.... :X I try to use cosmetics to accentuate good things like cheekbones and minimize bad things like loose skin in the neck area. I do feel like I look older. Ardita, how long since you hit goal? Fairly recent for me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    OMG you guys, the skin under my chin/neck area? Shriek! X( That, and the bat wings.... I could fly away. I do lift weights but that doesn't work on the face.... :X I try to use cosmetics to accentuate good things like cheekbones and minimize bad things like loose skin in the neck area. I do feel like I look older. Ardita, how long since you hit goal? Fairly recent for me.

I caught my weight before it got too high, so I didn't have to deal with much loose skin. There is some stuff going on that is not pleasant in the butt region but I think it's going to tighten up fine. I'm not at goal yet. I want to lose a little more fat, lift in maintenance for a bit, then eventually bulk. Lots of work to do. I think I'm about 138 right now.
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have about 25 pounds left to go. The loose skin sucks, but I feel like that will get better. It's really my boobs that are upsetting me. They look like flat saggy pancakes. I can literally fold my boob in half.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    I have about 25 pounds left to go. The loose skin sucks, but I feel like that will get better. It's really my boobs that are upsetting me. They look like flat saggy pancakes. I can literally fold my boob in half.

Mine are ridiculous. Completely flat when lying down, and you can see every bone in between them. I'm embarrassed to bend over without a bra in front of my boyfriend. This is why I am trying to see the potential in my butt haha.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yup...agree with others. It's normal to be delighted about losing weight but not happy with the skinny fat look. Loose skin and just an overall gaunt look. Changing from mostly aerobic exercises like walking/running to incorporate weight lifting helped immensely. Took me about 6 months in the gym to get the body I was more comfortable about.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    But my faaaaaaaace dammit.... boobularly, I guess my expectations are not that high anyway because I'm middle aged. I have not tried folding my boobs. I am not going to try. I don't want to know. :X I honestly don't know if trying to grow your pecs is any assistance in this area. Some people say yes, some say no. I guess, you could wear good supportive bras and then wear a leisure bra at night so that your skin won't have any reason to stretch, but rather have encouragement to shrink back up? I have worn leisure bras at night when I feel bloated and heavy in that region.
  • arditarose
    Options
    But my faaaaaaaace dammit.... boobularly, I guess my expectations are not that high anyway because I'm middle aged. I have not tried folding my boobs. I am not going to try. I don't want to know. :X I honestly don't know if trying to grow your pecs is any assistance in this area. Some people say yes, some say no. I guess, you could wear good supportive bras and then wear a leisure bra at night so that your skin won't have any reason to stretch, but rather have encouragement to shrink back up? I have worn leisure bras at night when I feel bloated and heavy in that region.

What is a leisure bra?
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Like... I don't know about you guys but I've been lifting weights since day one of this weight loss and fitness journey. In other words, last March. I still have this flappy skin.
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on losing 80 lbs! I understand that accomplishment - and it's a big deal! If you were to look at my photo you may not see some loose skin on my arms, but it's there, and it's there in other parts of me. too! Lifting is slowly starting to fill in some of that but I know I have a ways to go.

Anyway, what put this perspective for me was a conversation with a friend who has always been extremely supportive. She stated, "Don't lose so much weight so that you have loose skin!" I told her it was already too late for that! I laughed. If loose skin meant that I reached a healthy weight, then so be it! I would rather have loose skin and be healthy, than extra weight that would cause me to loose my health. That's when I realized that I had accepted the way I look. Does it bother me? Sure, there are times when I wish I didn't have it, but I hope over time that lifting will help with that. In the meantime, if someone ever comments on this, I tell them that I earned this loose skin. It's one of the signs that I achieved something important.

Please understand I am not indicating that anyone who is uncomfortable with the way they look is somehow "wrong" to feel that way, or whatever. I've had to overcome numerous body issues over the years. I still want my skin to look better, but that's no longer my focus. Best wishes.
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights the entire time as well. The loose skin isn't too bad. It's just my damn boobs. I keep telling myself after I reach maintenance and stay there for at least a year, I'll look into a boob job. But that's at least 1.5 more years of flat, saggy, foldable boobs.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What is a leisure bra?

I think she meant a sports bra?

Anyway, bras won't do much to make a structural difference, but I think buying pretty ones is a nice idea.

This is a problem a lot of women face, OP, you're not alone. It's a tradeoff, unfortunately. It's why a lot of bikini competitors / pro weight lifters wind up going for surgery :/ I don't think there's anything wrong with that choice, personally. Acceptance is hard. I think, though, that after a while, it's not as hard to live with. The pretty bras might help :) A lot of people who don't wind up going for surgery focus more on the other great things about their bodies, and find the chesticle situation matters a lot less. Question of shifting attention.

Me personally, this time around, I'm going to not go beneath a certain body fat %, and will concentrate on building as much muscle as I can wherever I can. (I am limited in the things I can do, but will try).

But yeah, it is a head game. Sorry :(
  • arditarose
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

What is a leisure bra?

I think she meant a sports bra?

Anyway, bras won't do much to make a structural difference, but I think buying pretty ones is a nice idea.

This is a problem a lot of women face, OP, you're not alone. It's a tradeoff, unfortunately. It's why a lot of bikini competitors / pro weight lifters wind up going for surgery :/ I don't think there's anything wrong with that choice, personally. Acceptance is hard. I think, though, that after a while, it's not as hard to live with. The pretty bras might help :) A lot of people who don't wind up going for surgery focus more on the other great things about their bodies, and find the chesticle situation matters a lot less. Question of shifting attention.

Me personally, this time around, I'm going to not go beneath a certain body fat %, and will concentrate on building as much muscle as I can wherever I can. (I am limited in the things I can do, but will try).

But yeah, it is a head game. Sorry :(

I was going to same the same about treating yourself to some lingerie. I figured if my boobs look better in a bra, why not get something super sexy?
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    I've been lifting weights the entire time as well. The loose skin isn't too bad. It's just my damn boobs. I keep telling myself after I reach maintenance and stay there for at least a year, I'll look into a boob job. But that's at least 1.5 more years of flat, saggy, foldable boobs.

Well if you are planning to get a lift when you hit your goal weight then you could boost your motivation by putting a couple bucks away every time you do a workout, so that when you finally do reach that goal, you'll have a substantial pile of cash to spend on your surgery :)
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Let me answer, as I love my leisure bras lol! a Leisure bra is a very soft stretchy bra that is super comfy and is designed to be worn in low to no impact situations like sitting around the house or while sleeping just to keep the boobs from flopping around. If you image google "leisure bra" you will see many options. I need to buy some more. I wore out two and only have one left. :X If nothing else you will probably be comfier and like yourself better in the mirror. Honey I have got some sag. I promise you. Gravity is yanking on my D cups after all thse years lol. I guess I just accept it because I can "fix" it with bras.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Cripes, look at that long link! It's a Rhonda Shear Ahh Bra. Sometimes they have them at Walgreens.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    102 lbs. lost in 13 months, and only 25 more lbs. to go. Enough loose skin to make a car cover. The skin will NEVER go back to "normal", nor will it shrink, firm up, or run away from home. Working out does not tighten up baggy skin. It just builds muscle under the skin. Surgery is the best solution, but until I take that leap, I'll just say "thanks" to Spanx-- now that I can fit into it without exploding. I love my new (much smaller) body. I look great in clothes, and I'm so happy with myself. Please don't let how you look naked make you feel bad. Most people probably look awful in their birthday suits, anyway. If hubby/boyfriend can't deal with the sag, dump him.

(PS-- Not only can I fold my boobs in half, but I can also tuck them into the waistband of my jeans!)
  • arditarose
    Options

That would work as a sports bra for me.